Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 10:56 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tensors for dummies.
Tensors for dummies.
I am trying to understand them; any easy explanations from you pros?
RE: Tensors for dummies.
I'd be happy to help, but you need to be a bit more specific, as there is a lot one can say about tensors or do with them Big Grin
In what context do you need them? Which type?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(January 10, 2016 at 6:31 pm)Quantum Wrote: I'd be happy to help, but you need to be a bit more specific, as there is a lot one can say about tensors or do with them Big Grin

I am trying to understand general relativity at a very basic level, but I want a quantitative understanding as opposed to merely a qualitative one, although, the latter certainly is helpful with respect to the former.
(January 10, 2016 at 7:00 pm)Jehanne Wrote:
(January 10, 2016 at 6:31 pm)Quantum Wrote: I'd be happy to help, but you need to be a bit more specific, as there is a lot one can say about tensors or do with them Big Grin

I am trying to understand general relativity at a very basic level, but I want a quantitative understanding as opposed to merely a qualitative one, although, the latter certainly is helpful with respect to the former.

Aaaah, very good. I assume you know some calculus?

The important - and defining - thing about tensors in GR is how they change under changes of coordinates x^mu to x'^mu. It is probably best if you start by considering how vectors (i.e. 1-tensors with an upper index), let us call it v^mu, change when you go from coordinates x^mu to x'^mu(x).

The rule is relatively straightforward and involves the derivatives of x' with respect to x. You can find it anywhere, e.g. wiki.

More general upper index tensors are then exactly the same, except that each of the indices gets the same treatment.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

(January 10, 2016 at 7:08 pm)Quantum Wrote:
(January 10, 2016 at 7:00 pm)Jehanne Wrote: I am trying to understand general relativity at a very basic level, but I want a quantitative understanding as opposed to merely a qualitative one, although, the latter certainly is helpful with respect to the former.

Aaaah, very good. I assume you know some calculus?

The important - and defining - thing about tensors in GR is how they change under changes of coordinates x^mu to x'^mu. It is probably best if you start by considering how vectors (i.e. 1-tensors with an upper index), let us call it v^mu, change when you go from coordinates x^mu to x'^mu(x).

The rule is relatively straightforward and involves the derivatives of x' with respect to x. You can find it anywhere, e.g. wiki.

More general upper index tensors are then exactly the same, except that each of the indices gets the same treatment.

Okay, I'll have a look and keep this thread alive with questions!  Thanks!!
I'm typing on my phone right now, hence my answers are a bit compressed...