Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 12:57 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some fun stuff expected in 2016 in astrophysics...
Some fun stuff expected in 2016 in astrophysics...
- Russia and the European Space Agency will launch ExoMars on March 14th, 2016 which will enter Martian orbit on December 2016, atmosphere of Mars, looking for methane - where does it comes from? Possibly even from some sort of life on Mars? It will also prepare the way for rover which will be sent in 2018

-New Horizons will still send more data with many new sensational findings. Geology of Pluto and atmosphere are expected to be more understood.

- Juno spacecraft will come to Jupiter on July 4th, after 4 years of travel. It will try to find out if Jupiter has a rocky core underneath all that gass. We will have more chances to have a better look at those moons around Jupiter. For instance today on Earth we already have such powerful telescopes that we can actually see volcanic activities on Io. Galileo was, so far, the only craft that flew around Jupiter and also ended 12 years ago. So it will be interesting to see those moons again. Juno will also investigate Jupiter's magnetosphere.

-Dawn probe is also on a verge of detecting that there is steam going on above dwarf planet Ceres which would be a big deal and could be the biggest discovery of the year.

-Work will still be done on James Webb Space Telescope which costs 8 billion USD and will be launched in 2018.

-OSIRIS-REx will be launched in September by NASA. OSIRIS-REx will be traveling to the asteroid Bennu, take a sample and come back to Earth in 2023.

- Rosetta spacecraft (ESA) is expected to end in September this year because it doesn't have fuel anymore and it will probably crash land on the comet it's orbiting, but not before scientists try to contact little lander Philae that probably has lot of interesting data in it.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
RE: Some fun stuff expected in 2016 in astrophysics...
Osiris-Rex: coolest name for a spacecraft ever.
I am John Cena's hip-hop album.
Thanks for the summary!

There have also been some rumors that the LIGO gravitational wave observatories might have seen something that would be published this year. It's probably a ruse, but if it's true ...
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Mean while in religion - All these scientists are doing satans work....
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
(since this is a scientifical thread and not religious, and the topic is specifically noted as being relevant to 2016, so all posters here were forewarned, I'm posting an interesting update to the Dawn mission)

https://www.newscientist.com/article/208...and-vesta/

The Dawn management team is proposing a follow on mission for the probe now orbiting Ceres. They are keeping the destination secret for now, presumably it is NOT Pallas, and the on board fuel situation on the craft would preclude orbiting a third object regardless of which one it is. So just a flyby. The onboard imaging system was carefully designed to compliment the other instruments on the craft in that a long focal length was not needed since the other instruments needed very close proximity to the targets to function. The implication of this camera lens is that for high resolution images, (like we are accustomed to seeing) any flyby would have to be very close. Hopefully they have found a 'rock' that is closely approachable with the remaining fuel reserve, and the imaging system can get some good close ups.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(January 12, 2016 at 12:59 pm)ApeNotKillApe Wrote: Osiris-Rex: coolest name for a spacecraft ever.

The jesus freaks would lose their minds... if they ever read anything sciency.
(April 20, 2016 at 11:17 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
(January 12, 2016 at 12:59 pm)ApeNotKillApe Wrote: Osiris-Rex: coolest name for a spacecraft ever.

The jesus freaks would lose their minds... if they ever read anything sciency.

I'm sure they'll get around to that once they've bothered to read their own bullshit. Any day now...
I am John Cena's hip-hop album.
(April 20, 2016 at 11:35 pm)ApeNotKillApe Wrote:
(April 20, 2016 at 11:17 pm)Minimalist Wrote: The jesus freaks would lose their minds... if they ever read anything sciency.

I'm sure they'll get around to that once they've bothered to read their own bullshit. Any day now...

Yeah until September when it gets launched on TV and until then (this is from Christian astronomy book):
[Image: JspBg6iN.png]
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
They think Uranus is a Roman god?!

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!
A Christian told me: if you were saved you cant lose your salvation. you're sealed with the Holy Ghost

I replied: Can I refuse? Because I find the entire concept of vicarious blood sacrifice atonement to be morally abhorrent, the concept of holding flawed creatures permanently accountable for social misbehaviors and thought crimes to be morally abhorrent, and the concept of calling something "free" when it comes with the strings of subjugation and obedience perhaps the most morally abhorrent of all... and that's without even going into the history of justifying genocide, slavery, rape, misogyny, religious intolerance, and suppression of free speech which has been attributed by your own scriptures to your deity. I want a refund. I would burn happily rather than serve the monster you profess to love.

I'm thinking uranus is wonderfully ripe for the picking . . . .
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nerd alert! -more spooky Quantum stuff ignoramus 49 3525 November 28, 2020 at 5:38 pm
Last Post: polymath257
  Physics Nobel 2016 Alex K 8 1902 October 4, 2016 at 11:33 am
Last Post: Jackalope
Tongue Hyperloop and other stuff by Elon Musk Fake Messiah 11 2878 September 29, 2016 at 10:57 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  An Introduction to Modern Astrophysics - Carroll & Ostlie TubbyTubby 11 5687 March 4, 2015 at 7:00 am
Last Post: Alex K
  How practical is it to major in astrophysics? passionatefool 22 16884 July 5, 2014 at 5:47 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Quantum stuff and the Big Bang Jiggerj 17 4268 April 19, 2014 at 8:44 am
Last Post: Chas