Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 9:39 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
I Fucking Quit Too! Any one want to join me for weight loss?
I Fucking Quit Too! Any one want to join me for weight loss?
I quit eating for pleasure without regard for the consequences.

I quit acting like a teenager in choosing to eat like a teenager long after my metabolism has lost the capacity to keep up.

My new year's resolution was to get to a healthy weight.  By New Year's eve I was at 240 pounds, the most I have ever weighted and way more than my nearly six foot, fine boned frame could support.  I stopped all snacking and ate what I thought was moderately.  I also signed on for a ten week Healthy Weight class at Kaiser which started January 5th.

At the first class, with my cloths on, I weighted 236 pounds so my own efforts weren't entirely ineffectual.  Yay!  This past Tuesday, January 12th, I weighted in at 229 pounds, also fully clothed.  The class has not been exactly rigorous but I have bought in to being accountable for what I eat, and I'm rigorously recording everything.  The app MyFitnessPal has been really helpful for keeping track of calories of things.  It tells me how much I need to eat to keep shedding a pound a week.  (I wanted to sign up for 2 pounds/week but was warned that was really a lot to commit to.  Pussies.)  I like that after entering my last food for the day it tells me "if every day was like today you would weight ... pounds in five weeks".  I find that motivating.

So long as I can remain mindful about how I'm eating, I think I got this.  I plan to go on using the app to track calorie intake everyday until I'm dead sure I've changed my habits.  It is time consuming, as is preparing good meals, but I figure hell, I'm retired.  This is my job now.  It would have been so much harder when I was teaching not to use food as an incentive to deal with deadlines, not to mention the tiny bit of discretionary time remaining in a day to deal with food prep.  

An unexpected upside:  I'm enjoying food more than I have in a long time.  My go-to lunch every single day is a sandwich on two slices of Dave's Killer bread (70 cal/slice), two tablespoons of Cashew butter, one tablespoon of spun honey and one half a medium sized banana, sliced.  Man, don't even talk to me when I'm eating my sandwich.  Breakfast is either steel cut oatmeal with lots of goodies (yesterday's was kumquats, walnuts, raisins and bosc pear), or two eggs with goodies (todays: sautéed beets, a cup of rice and a half a grapefruit).  Dinner varies but always includes a ton of fresh veggies and some meat.  Last week I slow cooked a rack of baby back pork ribs for three hours and then broiled them for a few minutes with BBQ sauce.  I cut those up by twos and it made dinner for two for three nights.  All very doable within my calorie allowance.  No snacking between meals though and I've stopped having dessert after meals.  

But to enjoy life I've got to have a cuppa with a splash of half and half with cookies when I first get up in the morning.  Sometimes I'll do it again in the afternoon before supper.  But now I have just two cookies each time.  I pretty much get whatever kind I like, but I won't be getting any more Walkers Shortbread cookies (that's 'biscuits' for you English blighters).  The damned things cost 100 calories apiece.  They're just not that good. 

I'd like to share this thread with anyone else interested in becoming lighter on your feet.  But I never mind whatever other tangents may arise.  I'm not dieting to lose weight, I'm just eating healthfully and mindfully from now on; so my goals are life time, not short term.
RE: I Fucking Quit Too! Any one want to join me for weight loss?
Good for you! Sounds like you have put a lot of thought into it. I am sure you will succeed. Smile

I can't join you as I dont need to lose weight, but I have made a resolution to exercise regularly, in a fun way so it is part of daily life and not a chore. But it sounds like you already do that part quite well. Smile
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
(January 14, 2016 at 7:17 pm)Aroura Wrote: Good for you! Sounds like you have put a lot of thought into it. I am sure you will succeed. Smile

I can't join you as I dont need to lose weight,
but I have made a resolution to exercise regularly, in a fun way so it is part of daily life and not a chore. But it sounds like you already do that part quite well. Smile

Pretty much this.
Good for you.

I would join you but everyone tells me I'm already too thin.
Dying to live, living to die.
Well thank you ladies for the moral support all the same.  For the first half of my life if anyone had told me they were on a diet I would say "I should be too, I'm way too thin".  But no more.  

Hopefully I can transition form weight loss to maintenance when the time comes.  I don't want to become anorexic or anything. Angel
Dude...lol.  More power to you.  I've been trying to do the same for a decade with varying success.  The trouble, of course, is that some foods are sooo damned good....
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I changed my diet a couple of years ago, and lost 15 lbs. I didn't exactly keep it off, but I still feel better, and dropped my pants size from a loose 40" to a snug 36".
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

In all seriousness though, well done for losing the weight and good luck to you losing more. It's hard work but it will eventually be worth it. Clap Smile
I can't even imagine doing this if I was raising a family not to mention earning their living. My only complication has been the wifey. Fortunately she has been way more supportive of me than I ever was of her when she would join weight watchers. As retribution I'm doing all the shopping and food prep for both of us. But she is coming to the class with me and happy with the food.

Early on we decided not to share our transgressions. By that I mean, when I bring cookies home they're just for me. When she gets salt caramels or picks up a torte, she is only shopping for herself. We're not hiding it from each other. We're just not tempting each other and we have an agreement not to raid the other's stash. This has helped.
Good for you in embarking on this. I've worked out regularly for several years, but food is a weakness. Candy. Bagels. Pizza. Fries. Portion sizes that are too big. Even ifI were a CrossFitter, it wouldn't overcome my eating habits.

I look forward to watching this thread.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which do you want to go? Foxaèr 13 726 October 18, 2023 at 10:49 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Do people just naturally want conflict Ahriman 113 3519 September 26, 2023 at 10:29 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  It' s never too late to start onlinebiker 2 398 October 18, 2021 at 10:54 am
Last Post: Spooky
  Gun Questions any one? Drich 75 3173 May 11, 2021 at 10:52 am
Last Post: Drich
  Why does everyone want to advertise in their signature? Foxaèr 2 328 September 14, 2020 at 8:23 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Already want to change my name again Foxaèr 14 726 July 12, 2020 at 1:24 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  TH FUCKING SNIFFLES! Rhizomorph13 4 429 March 9, 2020 at 8:17 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
Wink Want to read about my mom?? Clueless Morgan 2 635 April 5, 2019 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Are you the monster you want to be? Angrboda 48 2401 January 13, 2019 at 12:33 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Strangers are people too Godscreated 12 927 December 20, 2018 at 6:06 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus