Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 2:06 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's up with creationism?
What's up with creationism?
Fr?
Like, what's up with it?
RE: What's up with creationism?
Cool story.

The truth is, Bayesian analysis has shown CONCLUSIVELY that it is most likely an alien conspiracy
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

It provides an easy answer for easy minds who prefer easy over thinking.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(January 16, 2016 at 2:01 am)Kitan Wrote: It provides an easy answer for easy minds who prefer easy over thinking.

And also the false comfort of a parental figure creating an environment just for them rather than an indifferent universe. If there's one thing a lot of Christians thrive on, it's hubris wrapped in a thin coat of false humility.
"I was thirsty for everything, but blood wasn't my style" - Live, "Voodoo Lady"
(January 16, 2016 at 2:18 am)KevinM1 Wrote:
(January 16, 2016 at 2:01 am)Kitan Wrote: It provides an easy answer for easy minds who prefer easy over thinking.

And also the false comfort of a parental figure creating an environment just for them rather than an indifferent universe.  If there's one thing a lot of Christians thrive on, it's hubris wrapped in a thin coat of false humility.

...and there's nothing wrong with it. As far as I can tell religion is a form of therapy, prayer is a sort of therapy. It helps relieve tension and anxiety and makes someone feel good about themselves... is there something wrong with that?
Nah, I believe the Sunni's and Shiites kill each other regularly as their favourite relaxing pastime.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
It is believing part of a story in a book, ahead of all the knowledge that has been collected and refined in the history of mankind. (A history which started way before many creationists think the whole universe was created.)

In this way, it's just the same as the rest of religion, but it's one of the more demonstrably false stories.

Personally I think that people can believe it because our brains aren't good at visualising extremely long periods of time, like the time it took for man to evolve from simple life forms. Sometimes the brain instead says "that couldn't happen" and imagines a cartoon version of a blob turning into a human in a matter of a few years. Then again, I've barely heard of any people who understand evolution and then reject it. So it's a lot to do with education. Many theists are quite happy to accept evolution into their beliefs.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(January 16, 2016 at 2:42 am)pool the great Wrote:
(January 16, 2016 at 2:18 am)KevinM1 Wrote: And also the false comfort of a parental figure creating an environment just for them rather than an indifferent universe.  If there's one thing a lot of Christians thrive on, it's hubris wrapped in a thin coat of false humility.

...and there's nothing wrong with it. As far as I can tell religion is a form of therapy, prayer is a sort of therapy. It helps relieve tension and anxiety and makes someone feel good about themselves... is there something wrong with that?

When I was in the jungle I'd occassionally get guys who would pray instead of fight. There is something wrong with that, they weren't doing their job. I got rid of them as quickly as possible if it was a sure bet they weren't going to change their ways. I left one guy in the boonies because he wouldn't get off his knees. 

"Prayer, how to do nothing and still think you're helping."
(January 16, 2016 at 12:55 am)bussta33 Wrote: Fr?
Like, what's up with it?

'It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.'

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(January 16, 2016 at 7:41 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(January 16, 2016 at 12:55 am)bussta33 Wrote: Fr?
Like, what's up with it?

'It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.'

Boru

With swords, wyrd sisters and regicide!

Wait, that's the wrong fictional story. Whoops.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evolution and Creationism PerennialPhilosophy 33 4732 March 23, 2016 at 2:57 am
Last Post: robvalue
  why creationism doesn't work. dyresand 4 1674 November 17, 2014 at 11:06 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Experiments that demonstrate creationism. Zidneya 21 3736 October 10, 2014 at 5:20 pm
Last Post: Lemonvariable72
  Young Earth creationism Baqal 33 4589 July 10, 2014 at 2:45 am
Last Post: Mudhammam
  An original argument against creationism Nerd 52 16147 March 20, 2013 at 6:57 am
Last Post: smax
  Anti Creationism Argumentative Paper. jess_essential 16 9167 April 27, 2012 at 11:01 pm
Last Post: Tea Earl Grey Hot
  How should science deal with creationism? Darwinian 16 6775 September 8, 2009 at 8:53 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet