Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 3:04 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Reminder About Quoting
A Reminder About Quoting
This is just a general reminder to watch what you quote and how you quote. As I always, I try to refer people to the BB Code Guide to learn how to use quote tags, and Netiquette Guide to learn for advice on appropriate methods of quoting.

In short, there are three things to remember:

1) Avoid Quote vortexing: There is no need to quote more than one person within a quote itself. Having two people within quote tags is okay, three people is pushing it. Especially if the embedded quotes are just you and one other person. Example:

him Wrote:
her Wrote:
him Wrote:
her Wrote:
him Wrote:Hey
Hi
How are you?
Good, you?
Ok

- This is really annoying to see. Furthermore, people sometimes snip a quote tag when the vortex gets too big and then the wrong quotes get attributed to the wrong person and it becomes quite a mess.

2) Do not quote a large block of text only to make a short reply. This is jut plain annoying. Threads by their nature, can be hard to follow because it's just text text text. Repeated blocks of text don't help. If you have a short comment to make, do not quote it. Refer to the user's name, or quote a small sentence. I know that if you click "Reply" directly under a post it automatically quotes the person, but if you click the main "Add Reply" or use the quick reply box, it doesn't quote the person. You don't always have to quote a person for us to know who and what you are talking about.

Furthermore, do not quote images or videos. We've seen it once, there is absolutely no reason to see it again.

3) Lastly, check your posts! I've fixed a lot of wonky quotes where people end up quoting themselves and then it looks like what they are trying to reply to is actually their own words. The preview button is there for your benefit. Use it, make sure your quotes look okay before hitting the submit button.

The staff have been cracking down on the rampant quote mishaps, but it would be really helpful if people could be mindful of these general rules to ease the job of your moderators. People make mistakes, and that's okay, but a lot of people are repeat offenders and as a discussion driven board it's important that the conversations are clearly expressed and easy to follow.
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Update to the "Quoting Others Inaccurately" rule. Tiberius 25 5726 November 27, 2016 at 9:48 am
Last Post: Huggy Bear
  Just a reminder about your threads Losty 18 3740 October 24, 2016 at 12:31 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Reminder on Good Quoting Etiquette Fidel_Castronaut 14 3388 June 9, 2014 at 10:20 am
Last Post: Cyberman