Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 6:06 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Show us your roots!
Show us your roots!
Guys, How far back have you traced your ancestry?

I'm a little fascinated with the colours, patterns and symbolism of medival English/Scottish clans/traditions.
Do you have a house flag? Kilt pattern? Did your ancestors make mead?  Boru?
Anyone have a family totem pole?

The further back, the more exciting! It's like travelling through time.

Here's mine (if you're having trouble sleeping)

Any Americans who can trace their origins back to mother England?
Any famous dudes in your past?  The Wild West? Murdered? Got hanged? Bumped into Emmet Brown? Anything.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
RE: Show us your roots!
Quote:The first to be named Watanabe were the samurai clan founded by Watanabe no Tsuna (953-1025), a descendant of the Emperor Saga. Tsuna established the Watanabe branch of Saga Minamoto clan, taking the family name from his residential area Watanabe, Settsu Province. He was companion in arms to Minamoto no Yorimitsu (944-1021), and famous for his military exploits in a number of tales and legends. Dominating Settsu Province as a focal area of maritime transportation in medieval Japan, the Watanabe family spread its influence widely. Their descendants settled in other areas, including Kyushu.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Ras, did I mention my descendants had to fight off the odd wild donkey! Those thing can be dangerous!
(ignoramus stops kidding himself * cries* ...he comes from a lineage of people hiding in caves)

Seriously! Samurai? Emperors? Fuck me! (not literally)
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Haven't really traced it that much, I do know that I am Scottish with a little bit of Irish in there somewhere.
I can trace mine back as far as Ellis Island. My greatgrandparents changed their names when they got to the US. Evidently they left Ireland in a great hurry and didn't want anybody tracing them here.
Did they pinch a loaf of bread like the Aussie convicts here?
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Haven't really traced back beyond three or four generations. There is family folklore that the branch of the family that went to the US spawned a president. One Teddy Roosevelt, apparently.

Just heresay. I've seen nothing to confirm it.
Dying to live, living to die.
(January 24, 2016 at 6:55 am)ignoramus Wrote: Did they pinch a loaf of bread like the Aussie convicts here?

No, they were "Prots in the South" according to Grandpa. Whatever that means.
Warning: TLDR

(January 24, 2016 at 7:08 am)Gawdzilla Wrote:
(January 24, 2016 at 6:55 am)ignoramus Wrote: Did they pinch a loaf of bread like the Aussie convicts here?

No, they were "Prots in the South" according to Grandpa. Whatever that means.

Probably referring to being Protestants in the Southern part of Ireland, which has been mainly Catholic..since...well...forever.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Just watching a PBS show on Middle ages Brian37 9 1081 April 26, 2018 at 4:46 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Sundance Channel reran Roots miniseries vorlon13 3 224 February 13, 2018 at 4:53 pm
Last Post: brewer