Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 1:12 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's up with Ireland?
What's up with Ireland?
From what I have noticed, Ireland has abandoned their Catholic faith to a large degree.

Why is that? Is it because the people of Ireland are so rich now, they feel less of a need to pray to God?

I am not sure what they have against the Catholic faith at all really Undecided .
RE: What's up with Ireland?
Look at you, acting like you know what you're talking about.
I am John Cena's hip-hop album.
The Irish were pagan before the church forced its religion down their throats.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(January 26, 2016 at 4:38 pm)TrueChristian Wrote: From what I have noticed, Ireland has abandoned their Catholic faith to a large degree.

Why is that? Is it because the people of Ireland are so rich now, they feel less of a need to pray to God?

I am not sure what they have against the Catholic faith at all really Undecided .

No, because they were sick of constant sex abuse scandals among the clergy, the abuse of their children, and idiotic rules that lead to the deaths of innocent people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_S...lappanavar
Dying to live, living to die.
(January 26, 2016 at 4:47 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote:
(January 26, 2016 at 4:38 pm)TrueChristian Wrote: From what I have noticed, Ireland has abandoned their Catholic faith to a large degree.

No, because they were sick of constant sex abuse scandals among the clergy, the abuse of their children, and idiotic rules that lead to the deaths of innocent people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_S...lappanavar

Not to mention years of Irish women putting up with all manner of abuse without recourse to a divorce court thanks in large measure to Catholic influence over the legal code.

Oh, and there is that small matter of sectarian violence that plagued Ireland and Northern Ireland for such a sad, long time.

And you wonder why people got fed up with the church? I'm surprised they didn't burn and bulldoze the fucking churches to the ground.
OP reported.

I have to remind people that the OP is not Interested in discussion. His threads are 9x out of 10 shit and runs/spam nonsense.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
Because they finally got smart.
Catholicism is still a central part of Irish society as far as I'm aware? But the fact that they're finally separating church and state is a positive thing. Being the first country to legalize same-sex marriage by popular vote is a pretty big milestone for an historically religious and conservative nation. But at the same time, abortion is still illegal, regardless of the circumstances of the pregnancy
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]
As Minimalist intimated, most people grow up sooner or later. The Church has forever been a stinking blight on Ireland - prohibiting divorce (your drunken husband beats you bloody? Stay married or go to hell), prohibiting contraception (Jesus will love you best if you pound out a baby a year until you die), holding a centuries-long stranglehold on education (agree that God made the world or be beaten by a priest), colluding with the British crown to keep the laity subjected (look up the Penal Laws sometime, and see who had the biggest hand in enforcing them), and the perpetual buggery of children.

What kind of idiot asks a question like 'What's up with Ireland?' You're either playacting, or you're the most stunningly ignorant wretch I've come across in yonks.

Yes, the Irish are gradually abandoning their Catholic faith, and good on them for it. An apt analogy would be, 'Why on Earth are you climbing OUT of that cesspit?'

You should be ashamed of yourself, TC.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

They were  fucking sick of the pedophiles in the fucking catholic church. 
So they were  like you know fuck god fuck the pastors fuck em were  aint bothering.
Not to mention the US is separating from the church currently as well people
are using their brains.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pope's visit to Ireland turning into a fiasco? Fake Messiah 11 2266 August 27, 2018 at 12:48 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  The changing religious face of Ireland GUBU 2 749 April 13, 2017 at 7:38 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  American's evangelising in Ireland. BloodyHeretic 6 1910 October 2, 2011 at 6:14 am
Last Post: leo-rcc