Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 6:48 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheist version of Pascal's wager
Atheist version of Pascal's wager
Pascal's wager, for the one or two of you who don't know, says that because there is between a 0% and 100% chance of Christianity being true, and because the consequences of unbelief are infinite, one ought to believe in Christianity.  There are many rebuttals to this, but to me the most obvious one is that one cannot actually force oneself to believe in something that is irrational no matter what the stakes are.  Can you force yourself to believe in unicorns?

But if you already believe in Christianity, then you have to answer to the atheist version of your own wager.  You should sell all that you own and give to the poor, then wander the world doing good works and preaching the gospel.  There is clearly a 100% chance you'll get into heaven if you do this (provided your heart is right and all that jazz), but there is NOT a 100% chance that Jesus will accept you into heaven if you sit on your wealth while children starve to death.  Jesus did say that many will do good works, thinking they're Christian, but yet will still be cast into hell.  So if you live like a king in your Western world, occasionally going to church and giving a manageable tithe, there's no guarantee you will get into heaven.

You are saved by grace through faith, but faith without works is dead... so there is no guarantee that you are doing enough unless you do all that you can.
Jesus is like Pinocchio.  He's the bastard son of a carpenter. And a liar. And he wishes he was real.
RE: Atheist version of Pascal's wager
(January 31, 2016 at 5:23 pm)Nihilist Virus Wrote: Pascal's wager, for the one or two of you who don't know, says that because there is between a 0% and 100% chance of Christianity being true, and because the consequences of unbelief are infinite, one ought to believe in Christianity.  There are many rebuttals to this, but to me the most obvious one is that one cannot actually force oneself to believe in something that is irrational no matter what the stakes are.  Can you force yourself to believe in unicorns?

But if you already believe in Christianity, then you have to answer to the atheist version of your own wager.  You should sell all that you own and give to the poor, then wander the world doing good works and preaching the gospel.  There is clearly a 100% chance you'll get into heaven if you do this (provided your heart is right and all that jazz), but there is NOT a 100% chance that Jesus will accept you into heaven if you sit on your wealth while children starve to death.  Jesus did say that many will do good works, thinking they're Christian, but yet will still be cast into hell.  So if you live like a king in your Western world, occasionally going to church and giving a manageable tithe, there's no guarantee you will get into heaven.

You are saved by grace through faith, but faith without works is dead... so there is no guarantee that you are doing enough unless you do all that you can.

"Faith without works is dead"....

This is true, but the "works" that you gave an example of is not what that scripture is talking about.
Quote:John 14:12
Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.

Jesus walked on water, through faith Peter also walked on water.

Quote:James 5:15
And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him.

Quote:Mark 16:17-18
17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

That being said, there is nothing you can do to earn your way in to heaven, you can only get there by the grace (unmerited favor) of God.

It's a free gift.
This is part of an article which appears to have evaporated, but I took the precaution of saving it to my "I'm sure I'll find a use for this one day" file:

Quote:The flaws

The most obvious problems with Pascal’s Wager are:

• How do you know which god to believe in?  There are plenty to choose from, and if you pick the wrong one, you could be in big trouble (e.g. what if you choose Jesus, but get to heaven only to come face-to-trunk with Ganesh?).  This is known as the ‘Avoiding the wrong Hell problem.’  If a dozen people of different religions came to you with Pascal’s Wager, how could you possibly choose between them?  After all, many religions are quite specific that they are the One True Religion, and not any others.  Jesus Christ is supposed to have said, “I am the way, the truth and the light.  None shall come to the Father except through me.”  [emphasis added] and no doubt most other religions make similar claims.  If a Christian considers the Wager as strong support for his faith, surely he must accept that it is equally valid for all other religions when presented to himself?

• God is surely not stupid.  Won’t it know that you’re just trying to get a free ride into Heaven?  How can you sincerely believe in a god simply out of convenience?

• If there is no God, you have still lost something.  You have wasted a good portion of your life performing the various devotional rituals, attending Churches, praying, reading scripture and discussing your deity with His other followers.  Not to mention giving your hard-earned money to the church, wasting your intelligence on theological endeavours and boring the hell out of people who really don’t want to hear your Good News.

• Can you get away with just sort of generally believing in a Supreme Being, without specifically believing in one particular Deity?  Probably not - God will still know what you’re up to.  Also, many gods are quite particular about how they should be worshipped.  Many born-again Christians will tell you that the only way to Heaven is through accepting Jesus Christ as your personal saviour - nothing more and nothing less.  General-Deity-Belief and being nice simply won’t do.  Many people believe that all the different religions are merely alternative routes to the same destination.  Nice and tolerant (if a little warm ‘n’ fuzzy) though this may be, there is no valid reason to accept this stance over the fire-and-brimstone fundamentalist position: if the fundies are right, then the un-Saved liberal theists are in just as much trouble as the nonbelievers.

• Few, if any, atheists disbelieve in deities out of choice.  It’s not as if we know the god is really there, but somehow refuse to believe in it (for example, see if you can choose to truly believe that Australia does not exist).  Most atheists disbelieve simply because they know of no compelling evidence to suggest that any sort of god exists.  If you want an atheist to believe, show her some good evidence, don’t just say it’s in her best interests to believe even if there is no god.  A person cannot choose to sincerely believe in something, just because it is pragmatic to do so.  Sure, you could say all the right prayers and attend church regularly, but that is not the same thing as actually believing, and any god worth its salt would obviously see straight through that.

• It is quite insulting.  It amounts to a thinly veiled threat, little better than saying “Believe in my God or He’ll send you to Hell” (in fact, this is often the form in which it is presented).  Also, the theist making this threat assumes that the atheist believes there is a Hell or a god to send him there in the first place.  If you don’t believe in Hell anyway, it’s not a scary thing to be threatened with - a bit like saying “If you don’t start believing in unicorns, one will trample you to death while you’re sleeping.”  Who would be worried by that?

• It is often self-refuting, depending on the person’s description of God.  If you believe that God will forgive anyone for anything, or judge people purely on how they lived their life and not what they believed, or that everyone gets to Heaven regardless (unless maybe they were genocidal cannibal serial killers), then the Wager is meaningless.  You might as well say “Believe in God, or you’ll... erm... go to Heaven anyway.”  In such a case, it doesn’t make a scrap of difference whether the person believes or not.

Pascal’s Wager is hopelessly flawed.  It sounds good at first, but poke it with the spike of reason and it quickly deflates, letting out all the hot air.

An alternative - The Atheist’s Wager

This seems to be much more reasonable, both for atheists and for theists:

“It is better to live your life as if there are no gods, and try to make the world a better place for your being in it.  If there is no god, you have lost nothing and will be remembered fondly by those you left behind.  If there is a benevolent god, it will judge you on your merits and not just on whether or not you believed in it.”

(And if the god is not benevolent, it’s gonna git ya whatever you do!)
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Wish I could give more than one kudos.

Really like the "what if the fundies are right". Kinda brings up the "OK, tell us where the bar is set".
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(January 31, 2016 at 7:43 pm)Stimbo Wrote: (And if the god is not benevolent, it’s gonna git ya whatever you do!)

That's the one that's so obvious to me. The God of the Bible kills babies, orders his followers to kill babies and even wipes out the entire human race save for Noah and his family. And Christians think they can trust him?
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
The amount of words needed to explain your point speaks for how illogical the point is.

You don't need a long answer to a short question to convince someone that you're right, if you are in fact correct.
Which is better:
To die with ignorance, or to live with intelligence?

Truth doesn't accommodate to personal opinions.
The choice is yours. 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is God and there is man, it's only a matter of who created whom

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The more questions you ask, the more you realize that disagreement is inevitable, and communication of this disagreement, irrelevant.
Awesome stuff.

Man, that is a comprehensive takedown Stimbo! I've been meaning to do a video about this but now there's no need.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Money and power corrupted Christians.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
I don't see how anyone can just decide to believe, you either do or you don't. Given enough evidence I may start to believe but I can't just say I will believe from next Monday!
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

Pascal's wager is irrelevant.  It's true that you can't make yourself believe in Christ.  That belief comes from God to a person who is open to it.  Also, we don't follow Christ simply because we want to go to heaven, but because we believe he is the son of God, and as such we belong to him.  Even if there was no heaven we would still be bound to follow him.  Jesus spoke sparingly of hell and the writers of the new testament never preached "fire and brimstone".  If a person professes christianity simply to avoid hell, I would seriously doubt that he is a true believer.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which version of xtianity is most likely to be correct? FrustratedFool 20 1008 December 8, 2023 at 10:21 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  which version of christianity is correct? Drich 86 8645 March 30, 2020 at 3:34 am
Last Post: Dundee
  The Problem with Pascal's Wager Rhondazvous 45 6724 May 11, 2018 at 7:27 am
Last Post: brewer
  New Revised Standard Version Bible has Dead Sea Scroll input ?!?! vorlon13 17 3775 February 20, 2017 at 5:16 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  A response to "upping the ante" on pascals wager Won2blv 26 3672 April 12, 2016 at 8:21 pm
Last Post: Won2blv
  What's the Difference Between a Translation and a Version Rhondazvous 19 11678 May 13, 2015 at 5:31 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  New Version of the Bible daver49 23 3309 March 22, 2015 at 11:36 pm
Last Post: daver49
  Which Version Of Christianity Is The Correct One? Confused Ape 57 10850 May 27, 2014 at 9:16 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Digital Version of Greek Xtian Writings Minimalist 2 1396 September 18, 2013 at 6:41 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  E-Text version of the Bible with UNBIASED explanations? caschmid 5 3378 June 14, 2012 at 1:09 pm
Last Post: Minimalist