Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 7:54 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For the sake of common sense
For the sake of common sense
If someone posts a link as an opening to a thread and they fail to add a description, please can we see a mod notice letting them know they need to add one?

Personally, I don't click on links without this as I think not adding a brief description is tantamount to spam or click bait.

Think of how many times staff have caught spammers posting links in multiple threads. Our more seasoned members and even newer ones who contribute a fair amount, should already know that a brief description is only right.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
RE: For the sake of common sense
(February 3, 2016 at 1:35 pm)Nymphadora Wrote: If someone posts a link as an opening to a thread and they fail to add a description, please can we see a mod notice letting them know they need to add one?

Personally, I don't click on links without this as I think not adding a brief description is tantamount to spam or click bait.

Think of how many times staff have caught spammers posting links in multiple threads. Our more seasoned members and even newer ones who contribute a fair amount, should already know that a brief description is only right.

I tend to not click on links at all. I don't know how well people have chosen the sites they visit so I tend to go on the extracts or explanations. I've lost computers to mal ware and am uber cautious now.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Agreed. And yet another good point to make about it.

I don't want to have to click on a link just to be able to participate in the discussion.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
I'm pretty sure that it is required to add at least a short description of your own, and not just post a link (or copy/paste stuff). So if you notice one like that, you could report it so we can give them a nudge.

Maybe the other staff could confirm if I have that right?

From the rules:

Quote:Spamming is not allowed. We consider any of the following behaviors to be spamming:

-Repeatedly creating multiple threads with the same or similar thread subject in a short space of time.
-Repeatedly posting responses to existing threads which are unrelated to the current discussion(s) in the thread.
-Repeatedly posting links, copy / pasted content, or scripture verses, unless they are relevant to the thread and have the member's own comments added to them.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(February 3, 2016 at 1:35 pm)Nymphadora Wrote: If someone posts a link as an opening to a thread and they fail to add a description, please can we see a mod notice letting them know they need to add one?

If they're starting threads by dropping links with no comment or summary, they're likely in violation of the spamming rule. Just report it as that.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
There's already one that I questioned directly in the thread. I didn't report it because the person who started it has been around long enough to know better. IJS.
Nudge ?

Like with a sword tip as they are teetering on the tip of the plank ?
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(February 3, 2016 at 1:49 pm)robvalue Wrote: I'm pretty sure that it is required to add at least a short description of your own, and not just post a link (or copy/paste stuff). So if you notice one like that, you could report it so we can give them a nudge.

Maybe the other staff could confirm if I have that right?

From the rules:

Quote:Spamming is not allowed. We consider any of the following behaviors to be spamming:

-Repeatedly creating multiple threads with the same or similar thread subject in a short space of time.
-Repeatedly posting responses to existing threads which are unrelated to the current discussion(s) in the thread.
-Repeatedly posting links, copy / pasted content, or scripture verses, unless they are relevant to the thread and have the member's own comments added to them.

This wasn't a repeated event tho. It was a link posted with no description and while it did generate discussion, I don't feel as if I can participate because in order to do so, I'd have to click on the link, which I'm not always comfortable with.
Yeah, I feel like it is a requirement, and perhaps that should be made clearer in the rules. OPs especially really need some user content. I'll wait for someone else to back me up on that, and if so maybe we can look at the rules a bit. I agree you should be able to report even a single post, not to try and get the person in trouble, but so the staff can let them know it needs a bit more.

Established members should know this already so a nudge from another member (or a sword up the arse) will probably do the trick, but otherwise, or if it's a newbie who hasn't cottoned on, reporting may be the best way. I'll keep a closer eye out myself too.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
It's go with context a bit... I've seen such threads where the thread title says it all... And I've seen others where the title says nothing...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why there is no common sense "bible" here? purplepurpose 13 1398 August 2, 2018 at 4:44 am
Last Post: purplepurpose
  Suggestion: Common misconceptions and FAQs Jackalope 6 3836 January 3, 2012 at 1:40 am
Last Post: fr0d0