Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 10:44 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can a Positron be Turned into an Electron?
Can a Positron be Turned into an Electron?
Is it possible to change a positron into an electron? If so, how is it done? If not, would a true scientist cringe when a fantasy fiction author makes that happen?
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
RE: Can a Positron be Turned into an Electron?
Yes, it can be done.  But it's a pretty controversial procedure, as the positron has to go to a special camp and be prayed over by electrons who have received divine revelation that positronality is immoral.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
If you accelerated it enough and smacked it into another particle, the energy released would manifest as more particles including possibly an electron.

However, if you add up the electric charges of all the residue, you will still be accountable for a single +1 charge somewhere.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Wouldn’t want Alex to miss this one.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

--Voltaire

Nothing to add

Well, kind of.  I watched "Particle Fever" the other night, and was utterly fascinated.  But my poor little brain . . . I have not had any science class beyond basic Physics in high school way back in the dark ages.  So I'm hunting for layperson's explanations of this stuff (Brian Greene has put out some pretty accessible articles) and just lurking, trying to keep up.  Thanks for the threads, Rhonda!
"The family that prays together...is brainwashing their children."- Albert Einstein
The truth is it depends. In the Standard Model without neutrino masses it seems impossible because of a thing called lepton number conservation, but if neutrinos are their own antiparticles, it is possible (but would be extremely rare) that an electron turns into a positron by catching two W+ bosons in a row: the first W+ would turn the electron into a neutrino (this is standard physics), the neutrino being the same as an antineutrino (if they are their own anti-particle which is unknown), and then the antineutrino turning into a positron by catching another W+ boson, which is again standard physics.

The reverse process can then happen if a positron catches two W- bosons. The W bosons might come from atoms in the vicinity and change one type of nucleus into another in the course of this exchange, but as I said this would be an incredibly rare occurrence.

A closely related physical process called "neutrinoless double beta decay" is actually currently being searched for, precisely in order to prove that neutrinos indeed are their own antiparticles.

As vorlon says, you can always *make* positrons by smashing an electron into something with enough energy or vice versa, but I didn't exactly count that as changing the electron into a positron, which I interpret as having an identifiable particle which gets turned from one in the other by some influence.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

What a friend we have in Alex
All the facts laid bare
What a privilege to carry
All our questions to him
And Vorlon, too!Smile

--Voltaire

(February 7, 2016 at 4:29 pm)drfuzzy Wrote: Nothing to add

Well, kind of.  I watched "Particle Fever" the other night, and was utterly fascinated.  But my poor little brain . . . I have not had any science class beyond basic Physics in high school way back in the dark ages.  So I'm hunting for layperson's explanations of this stuff (Brian Greene has put out some pretty accessible articles) and just lurking, trying to keep up.  Thanks for the threads, Rhonda!

I’m glad you’re enjoying this, Boru. Liked your post above about the immoral positrons.

As you may, or may not, know, I’m writing a fantasy novel where all these particles are real living beings interacting with each other. Alex has really been helping me create a plot that is both accessible to layreaders while at the same time won’t make professionals like himself shake their heads and groan.

--Voltaire

Quote:I’m glad you’re enjoying this, Boru.

I am, but I enjoy almost everything. It's my nature.

Quote:Liked your post above about the immoral positrons.

Thank you.

Quote:As you may, or may not, know, I’m writing a fantasy novel where all these particles are real living beings interacting with each other. Alex has really been helping me create a plot that is both accessible to layreaders while at the same time won’t make professionals like himself shake their heads and groan.

I didn't know, but best of luck with it. I hope it makes best seller lists the world over, and Disney options the film rights. I'd like to suggest Johnny Depp for the role of Evil Lepton Overlord.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(February 7, 2016 at 7:05 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: I am, but I enjoy almost everything. It's my nature.

So I noticed!

Boru Wrote:I didn't know, but best of luck with it. I hope it makes best seller lists the world over, and Disney options the film rights. I'd like to suggest Johnny Depp for the role of Evil Lepton Overlord.

Boru
Ah! My villain’s name is exquisitely evil. But if I tell you, I’ll have to kill you.Smile

--Voltaire

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is it ever physically possible for a broken egg to reassemble into an unbroken one? GrandizerII 39 4029 June 13, 2020 at 5:52 am
Last Post: UtilitarianDeist
  How Do They fit the CMB Into those Little Ovens? Rhondazvous 16 2352 April 26, 2019 at 7:32 am
Last Post: popeyespappy
  Will Our Sun Expand and Go Nova or Shrink into a Black Hole? Rhondazvous 55 7739 January 19, 2017 at 11:36 pm
Last Post: DarkerEnergy
  What Kind of Photons are Used to Create Positron-Electron Pairs? Rhondazvous 8 1360 January 24, 2016 at 2:58 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  What does the universe expand into? JaceDeanLove 3 1475 November 6, 2014 at 9:16 pm
Last Post: JaceDeanLove
  Grail Probes to crash into the moon in about an hour popeyespappy 10 3306 December 18, 2012 at 3:47 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Let's Welcome HR4796 into existence! TheDarkestOfAngels 12 5970 January 6, 2012 at 6:17 pm
Last Post: TheDarkestOfAngels
  Paul Allen gets into the space launch business orogenicman 5 2045 December 15, 2011 at 9:21 pm
Last Post: popeyespappy