Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 8:38 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brace yourselves for gravitational waves
Brace yourselves for gravitational waves
If it is true what rumours claim, what we will be shown on thursday's press conference will be absolutely spectacular - namely a collision and merger of two black holes until they reach their final state, all observed via gravitational waves. Now we have to wait....
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

RE: Brace yourselves for gravitational waves
You big tease. Now I'll have to satiate my immediate gratification needs with .............................
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(February 9, 2016 at 3:13 pm)Alex K Wrote: If it is true what rumours claim, what we will be shown on thursday's press conference will be absolutely spectacular - namely a collision and merger of two black holes until they reach their final state, all observed via gravitational waves. Now we have to wait....

We're all gonna die Panic

How did they manage to create black holes in a lab?
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(February 9, 2016 at 3:54 pm)robvalue Wrote:
(February 9, 2016 at 3:13 pm)Alex K Wrote: If it is true what rumours claim, what we will be shown on thursday's press conference will be absolutely spectacular - namely a collision and merger of two black holes until they reach their final state, all observed via gravitational waves. Now we have to wait....

We're all gonna die Panic

How did they manage to create black holes in a lab?

The di'nt. They built these things:

[Image: ligo.jpg]

which are super-precise laser interferometers which can measure changes in length of their 4km arms far shorter than a proton.
Then they waited until they would see a signal from two black holes merging somewhere in the galaxy. Gravitational waves coming from such events change the metric of spacetime, and therefore cause tiny variations of the relative lengths of the two arms you see in the picture. Those are then picked up where the two laser beams meet.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

But what if we destroy the entire universe?

The aliens won't be happy!
Dying to live, living to die.
(February 9, 2016 at 4:40 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: But what if we destroy the entire universe?

We just destroy it before they can. It's called pre-emptive strike.

The detection might have been of such a test conducted by the aliens.

Feel better?

Tongue
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(February 9, 2016 at 5:02 pm)Alex K Wrote:
(February 9, 2016 at 4:40 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: But what if we destroy the entire universe?

We just destroy it before they can. It's called pre-emptive strike.

Pre-emptive retaliation.

Cool
Quote:Pre-emptive retaliation.

Translation: 'I thought he was going to hit me, so I hit him back first.'

Bit of advice: the above does NOT work in court.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(February 9, 2016 at 6:00 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
Quote:Pre-emptive retaliation.

Translation:  'I thought he was going to hit me, so I hit him back first.'

Bit of advice:  the above does NOT work in court.

Boru

That's why you eliminate all witnesses.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Gravitational Wave signal Alex K 17 1594 September 28, 2017 at 5:00 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Brace yourselves! The conspiracy theorists are talking about Yellow Stone again NuclearEnergy 27 5254 July 4, 2017 at 4:07 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Quantum Mechanics - Pilot Waves davidMC1982 4 1558 July 1, 2014 at 4:17 pm
Last Post: davidMC1982
  Breaking News: Evidence for gravitational waves in the CMB! Alex K 8 3045 March 19, 2014 at 8:14 pm
Last Post: *Deidre*
  Hypnotic Pendulum Waves Rayaan 2 2158 May 13, 2011 at 5:26 pm
Last Post: Rayaan