Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 11:20 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
God's economy
Brick 
God's economy
Watching a movie set on an an American Indian reservation prompted a thought about the economy types represented within the bible. It is notable that the bible does not address the evil of "Taxation without representation" or the evils of theft by government. In several American Indian nations, there was little to no concept of personal ownership of land. Yet ownership of land by god's chosen tribes is a major theme that runs throughout the bible.

Why would a god promote individual and tribal possession over universal freedom if it were more than a goat herder's story?
Find the cure for Fundementia!
RE: God's economy
It didn't suit the people making up the story.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Obedience to authority is largely what the bible is about, so what would be the point of encouraging scrutinizing the government?
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(February 9, 2016 at 7:54 pm)Brakeman Wrote: Watching a movie set on an an American Indian reservation prompted a thought about the economy types represented within the bible. It is notable that the bible does not address the evil of "Taxation without representation" or the evils of theft by government. In several American Indian nations, there was little to no concept of personal ownership of land. Yet ownership of land by god's chosen tribes is a major theme that runs throughout the bible.

Why would a god promote individual and tribal possession over universal freedom if it were more than a goat herder's story?

Pretty sure bible mentions giving away all your wealth and possessions but it's  a never ending cycle of giving.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
[Image: feedthepoor.jpg]

I suspect this is where the "xtians are full of shit" mantra comes into play.
Apart from answers provided above god could be a fickle dick.
The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.

The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance.

Socrates.
I doubt any theist would claim that the bible isn't supposed to be inspiring, but how can they compartmentalize the lack of social justice in the bible? The bible writers tell us to give money to the poor but nothing is said about giving jobs, training, education, and shared resources to the poor. The bible doesn't address why there are poor in the society in the beginning.
Find the cure for Fundementia!
(February 10, 2016 at 8:37 am)Brakeman Wrote: I doubt any theist would claim that the bible isn't supposed to be inspiring, but how can they compartmentalize the lack of social justice in the bible? The bible writers tell us to give money to the poor but nothing is said about giving jobs, training, education, and shared resources to the poor. The bible doesn't address why there are poor in the society in the beginning.

People are poor because they are lazy and sleep too much.

Proverbs 10:4 (NLT) = "Lazy people are soon poor; hard workers get rich."

Proverbs 6:11 (ERV) = "But then you sleep and sleep and become poorer and poorer. Soon you will have nothing. It will be as if a thief came and stole everything you owned."
God ordains communism.

Really.

Go read about Ananias and Sapphira.

They weren't good enough commies and God SLEW them for being slackers.

Pretty clear to me that Karl Marx lifted his whole scheme from the BIBLE.

BTW, the pilgrims (the 1620 Plymouth, Massachusetts pilgrims) tried BIBLE COMMUNISM, and threw in the towel on it after killing 2/3 of their flock.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Quote:The bible writers tell us to give money to the poor but nothing is said about giving jobs, training, education, and shared resources to the poor.

Jobs: Deuteronomy 24:14 'You shall not oppress a hired worker who is poor and needy, whether he is one of your brothers or one of the sojourners who are in your land within your towns.'

Training: Proverbs 22:6 'Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.'

Education: Proverbs 1:1-5 'To know wisdom and instruction, to understand words of insight, to receive instruction in wise dealing, in righteousness, justice, and equity; to give prudence to the simple, knowledge and discretion to the youth— Let the wise hear and increase in learning, and the one who understands obtain guidance.'

Resources to the poor: Luke 3:10-11 'And the people asked him, saying, What shall we do then? He answereth and saith unto them, He that hath two coats, let him impart to him that hath none; and he that hath meat, let him do likewise.'

So, there's that.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  God is god, and we are not god StoryBook 43 12336 January 6, 2014 at 5:47 pm
Last Post: StoryBook
  God get's angry, Moses changes God's plans of wrath, God regrets "evil" he planned Mystic 9 6684 February 16, 2012 at 8:17 am
Last Post: Strongbad