Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 6:49 am

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Why More Americans Want to Own Guns
Why More Americans Want to Own Guns
I'm not a knee-jerk liberal, but then I'm hardly the right wing.

I will vote for Sanders if he gets on the November ballot.

I have many good reasons not to trust the government, but I will never advocate dealing with such issues by slashing it to the core - if you need a big dog, then you need a big dog, just keep it on a tight leash while you're out walking it!

There is a need for a society which permits people to monopolize markets and make billions of dollars for themselves to take care of all said society's people, or stop pretending to be a society at all. This necessitates the socialization of medical care, and as much education as is necessary to make future generations competitive for success (not the hopeless enslavement of poverty wages).

I will always stand against the privatization of services which should be performed only by government employees, having seen too much for myself what comes of crooked government administrators pretending to get anything done well at all when they can show millions of dollars in savings which have to be spent to do it all over again much too soon because it's never done right when you consistently hire the lowest bidder!

Therefore, despite having grown up on a "gentleman's farm", I ain't no fucking libertarian either!

So why do I think it's a bad idea to ban guns in the US? Maybe it's because I grew up shooting guns in a geographic area where you weren't considered bad for that, knowing that not all people who like to shoot guns are violent freaks (target shooting is an actual sport unto itself for some), but after watching the video below, it reminded me of what New Hampshire is like. Compared to neighboring Vermont, it's a bit more rugged and cold, which may be one reason why it could never really be competitive for tourism. Much of it borders the most urbanized part of MA, and NH fears the spread of its drug culture and the threat which that brings to their comparably isolated homes. It's a sparsely populated State in a cold and rugged part of the US, therefore hard to effectively patrol, not pretty.

http://www.nytimes.com/video/opinion/100...title-area

American violence has been blamed mostly on easy access to guns in the wrong hands, and while this is a point hard to argue, the argument that taking guns from law-abiding citizens will make them more safe is weak at best.

Yes, I know such policies work well enough in Britain and Europe, but the geography of the US isn't Britain, nor Europe. For one, there's a high population density throughout most of Britain and Europe. Where the real estate isn't hot, there tends to be low tree cover too.

West of the Alps, Europe doesn't really have much in rugged mountainous regions either. Mountains tend to be gentle rolling hills by comparison, and bald of cover. Also, there are parts of Europe which do not ban guns, in fact they are required in each household in Switzerland, where the real mountains are.

Of course there is also the Scots Highlands, and all of Britain prohibits guns, but another factor hasn't been weighed for America: Britain doesn't have an enormous span in square miles, so where road and foot patrolling may be difficult, there isn't as much for air patrol vehicles to cover. Which is an enormous problem in the vast mountain ranges of the US, where more of the people live who want their guns.

To be fair, there is also the cultural isolation in the US, which vast square mileage has permitted. MA residents may call their NH neighbors gun-loving idiots, but the NH residents are terrified of getting too close to the druggies of MA who they don't understand. In much of Europe, more citizens want to arm themselves because they are afraid of incoming Muslim refugees. Honest to fuck, I don't know how it happened that Englanders, who live in close proximity to all that and then some ever willingly gave up their own weapons. Or maybe they never did so willingly, never had legal access to guns, or don't remember the last time there ever was such a choice. If you became the witness to a crime by a London thug who then comes after you and follows you home, then what do you do?
Mr. Hanky loves you!
RE: Why More Americans Want to Own Guns
Your right. Even in Canada we have high gun owner rates compared to Europe. Also the places were gun ownership is the highest, when looked at on a county level, aren't the problem spots. One issue is when you mix inter city problems with guns. But that said, most people don't turn into murderous loons when they are given a gun. In fact there are legit reasons to own a gun when you live a rural place, be it hunting or target shooting, or the fact it can take a half hour for the cops to arrive( not that guns used in defense are that common) to me the gun issue is 2 fold. First you have this massive gun loby that is pouring money up the ass of politicians, strangling real discussion. 2nd is the mental health crisis. Young men are also commuting suicide in record numbers.
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
(February 9, 2016 at 11:41 pm)Lemonvariable72 Wrote: Your right. Even in Canada we have high gun owner rates compared to Europe. Also the places were gun ownership is the highest, when looked at on a county level, aren't the problem spots. One issue is when you mix inter city problems with guns. But that said, most people don't turn into murderous loons when they are given a gun. In fact there are legit reasons to own a gun when you live a rural place, be it hunting or target shooting, or the fact it can take a half hour for the cops to arrive( not that guns used in defense are that common) to me the gun issue is 2 fold. First you have this massive gun loby that is pouring money up the ass of politicians, strangling real discussion. 2nd is the mental health crisis. Young men are also commuting suicide in record numbers.

Suicide weapons have always been easily available in North America, and it's a poor solution for high suicide rates to try and take the weapons. This is a different issue, which requires it's own solution, which is least likely some obnoxious, chauffered and privately bodyguarded liberal dick breathing down the necks of poor citizens, rural or urban.
Mr. Hanky loves you!
Quote:the argument that taking guns from law-abiding citizens will make them more safe is weak at best.

It isn't the 'law-abiding' ones you have to worry about.... it's the stupid, clumsy and careless ones you have to worry about.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/ohio...bc1cd5731a

Quote: An armed man who believed he was confronting an intruder in his home Tuesday morning fatally shot his 14-year-old son, who he thought was on his way to school, police said.

I bet you that this guy didn't think he was stupid, clumsy or careless, either.  Now he's short one kid.
(February 9, 2016 at 9:41 pm)God of Mr. Hanky Wrote: I'm not a knee-jerk liberal, but then I'm hardly the right wing.

I will vote for Sanders if he gets on the November ballot.

I have many good reasons not to trust the government, but I will never advocate dealing with such issues by slashing it to the core - if you need a big dog, then you need a big dog, just keep it on a tight leash while you're out walking it!

There is a need for a society which permits people to monopolize markets and make billions of dollars for themselves to take care of all said society's people, or stop pretending to be a society at all. This necessitates the socialization of medical care, and as much education as is necessary to make future generations competitive for success (not the hopeless enslavement of poverty wages).

I will always stand against the privatization of services which should be performed only by government employees, having seen too much for myself what comes of crooked government administrators pretending to get anything done well at all when they can show millions of dollars in savings which have to be spent to do it all over again much too soon because it's never done right when you consistently hire the lowest bidder!

Therefore, despite having grown up on a "gentleman's farm", I ain't no fucking libertarian either!

So why do I think it's a bad idea to ban guns in the US? Maybe it's because I grew up shooting guns in a geographic area where you weren't considered bad for that, knowing that not all people who like to shoot guns are violent freaks (target shooting is an actual sport unto itself for some), but after watching the video below, it reminded me of what New Hampshire is like. Compared to neighboring Vermont, it's a bit more rugged and cold, which may be one reason why it could never really be competitive for tourism. Much of it borders the most urbanized part of MA, and NH fears the spread of its drug culture and the threat which that brings to their comparably isolated homes. It's a sparsely populated State in a cold and rugged part of the US, therefore hard to effectively patrol, not pretty.

http://www.nytimes.com/video/opinion/100...title-area

American violence has been blamed mostly on easy access to guns in the wrong hands, and while this is a point hard to argue, the argument that taking guns from law-abiding citizens will make them more safe is weak at best.

Yes, I know such policies work well enough in Britain and Europe, but the geography of the US isn't Britain, nor Europe. For one, there's a high population density throughout most of Britain and Europe. Where the real estate isn't hot, there tends to be low tree cover too.

West of the Alps, Europe doesn't really have much in rugged mountainous regions either. Mountains tend to be gentle rolling hills by comparison, and bald of cover. Also, there are parts of Europe which do not ban guns, in fact they are legally required in each household in Switzerland, where the real mountains are.

Of course there is also the Scots Highlands, and all of Britain prohibits guns, but another factor hasn't been weighed for America: Britain doesn't have an enormous span in square miles, so where road and foot patrolling may be difficult, there isn't as much for air patrol vehicles to cover. Which is an enormous problem in the vast mountain ranges of the US, where more of the people live who want their guns.

To be fair, there is also the cultural isolation in the US, which vast square mileage has permitted. MA residents may call their NH neighbors gun-loving idiots, but the NH residents are terrified of getting too close to the druggies of MA who they don't understand. In much of Europe, more citizens want to arm themselves because they are afraid of incoming Muslim refugees. Honest to fuck, I don't know how it happened that Englanders, who live in close proximity to all that and then some ever willingly gave up their own weapons. Or maybe they never did so willingly, never had legal access to guns, or don't remember the last time there ever was such a choice. If you became the witness to a crime by a London thug who then comes after you and follows you home, then what do you do?
Mr. Hanky loves you!
(February 9, 2016 at 11:59 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:the argument that taking guns from law-abiding citizens will make them more safe is weak at best.

It isn't the 'law-abiding' ones you have to worry about.... it's the stupid, clumsy and careless ones you have to worry about.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/ohio...bc1cd5731a

Quote: An armed man who believed he was confronting an intruder in his home Tuesday morning fatally shot his 14-year-old son, who he thought was on his way to school, police said.

I bet you that this guy didn't think he was stupid, clumsy or careless, either.  Now he's short one kid.

All because the liberals prefer to hover over every citizen, micromanage their lives and ban everything which may cause harm than to take an educated approach to the problem and resolve it through mandated safety education. This would have saved that kid, while the idea that you can effectively ban anything without creating more problems is the climax of masturbatiion. The only problem there is the liberals don't know the first thing about gun safety, having never touched a gun themselves, and neither do any of their private cronies.
Mr. Hanky loves you!
I don't really give a fuck if you kill yourself....accidentally or otherwise.  It's when your "freedom missiles" come through my walls that I really take notice.
(February 10, 2016 at 12:11 am)Minimalist Wrote: I don't really give a fuck if you kill yourself....accidentally or otherwise.  It's when your "freedom missiles" come through my walls that I really take notice.

I don't care if you kill yourself in your muscle car, but I'll probably sit up and take notice if I find it in my back seat, or in my living room. So why aren't the liberals trying to ban muscle cars?
Mr. Hanky loves you!
We are.  Terrible polluters.
(February 10, 2016 at 12:20 am)Minimalist Wrote: We are.  Terrible polluters.

Mustangs, Camaros, Chargers, 'vettes are still produced today, and their fuel efficiency has surprisingly improved. This does not make them any less fast and dangerous as street weapons.
Mr. Hanky loves you!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is "Be the part of the change you want to see in the world!" bullshit? FlatAssembler 45 1919 February 3, 2024 at 10:15 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Two things I want to talk about, politics wise ShinyCrystals 39 2424 September 23, 2023 at 6:39 am
Last Post: no one
  Did guns or vaccines save more lives in 2021? FlatAssembler 94 7878 January 27, 2023 at 7:22 pm
Last Post: brewer
  I dont get why Americans are complaining about Monarchy Woah0 0 499 September 10, 2022 at 10:45 am
Last Post: Woah0
  Ukrainians dont want to learn Russian language Interaktive 2 306 July 31, 2022 at 1:23 pm
Last Post: Interaktive
  No More Guns Foxaèr 75 5054 August 1, 2021 at 10:15 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  Ghost Guns - one of the left's lies. onlinebiker 33 2107 June 23, 2021 at 5:11 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Want to sell more guns? Vote ( D ) onlinebiker 145 7788 February 26, 2021 at 7:04 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Are you sure you want to do that? onlinebiker 40 2100 January 12, 2021 at 12:07 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Let’s take their guns BrokenQuill92 141 9813 November 22, 2020 at 4:28 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger