Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 3:22 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yes, religion is a drug, but what type of drug?
Yes, religion is a drug, but what type of drug?
It is helpful for many, benign for most, and harmful for a few.  But, what type of drug is it?  Marijuana, caffeine, cocaine, etc.?
RE: Yes, religion is a drug, but what type of drug?
Just to be sure, this thread isn't supposed to be about those three drugs at the end, right? Cause them at least still work, whereas religion...

Let me correct you on that. It is benign for none, harmful for all while at the same time helpful for some. It's not like a drug. It's more like a poison that makes you hallucinate and diminishes your intellect on the spot.
(February 12, 2016 at 9:02 am)Excited Penguin Wrote: [...]It's not like a drug. It's more like a poison that makes you hallucinate and diminishes your intellect on the spot.

So, basically - alcohol? Tongue
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
(February 12, 2016 at 9:17 am)Homeless Nutter Wrote:
(February 12, 2016 at 9:02 am)Excited Penguin Wrote: [...]It's not like a drug. It's more like a poison that makes you hallucinate and diminishes your intellect on the spot.

So, basically - alcohol? Tongue

I think that it is a good representation; a little alcohol, for most, is a pleasure; too much, painful, a lot, fatal.  For some, however, any amount of alcohol is poison.
I don't believe it's a drug. More like a socitial mental disorder. Unfortunately self inflicted.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(February 12, 2016 at 8:58 am)Jehanne Wrote: It is helpful for many, benign for most, and harmful for a few.  But, what type of drug is it?  Marijuana, caffeine, cocaine, etc.?

Religion is like Mr Magicas wonder potion, promises much but delivers nothing.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

"Two great European narcotics, alcohol and Christianity" - Nietzsche
I am John Cena's hip-hop album.
Homeopathic.

With a strong admixture of placebo.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

If the Book of Revelation is any indicator, psilocybin mushrooms.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(February 12, 2016 at 8:58 am)Jehanne Wrote: It is helpful for many, benign for most, and harmful for a few.  But, what type of drug is it?  Marijuana, caffeine, cocaine, etc.?

[Image: CVS31820.jpg]
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can religion be a type of Stockholm syndrome? ignoramus 5 2736 June 10, 2017 at 9:54 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  Scientific evidence of God by an atheist (Where mankind is one likely type of God) ProgrammingGodJordan 324 48845 November 22, 2016 at 10:44 am
Last Post: Chas
  yes, welcome me back you idiots JBrentonK 92 8127 November 5, 2016 at 5:17 pm
Last Post: Athene
  The type of religious stuff my mother posts on FB. Foxaèr 3 1127 May 18, 2016 at 2:32 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 10698 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 4893 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 19748 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  Can I be sued for saving someone's life? Yes I can Dystopia 25 5252 July 14, 2015 at 5:47 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
Rainbow Gay rights within the template of religion proves flaws in "religion" CristW 288 49174 November 21, 2014 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: DramaQueen
  Yes I pick on all religions. Brian37 253 25044 September 17, 2014 at 8:32 am
Last Post: Brian37