Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 8:02 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheism Looking Good!
Atheism Looking Good!
The more I read about individual Atheists, the more attractive (or at least sensible) atheism appears to be

Check out the religious views of Albert Einstein: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_...t_Einstein

While he isn't an atheist exactly, he is somewhat close to it. In that he thought "God" didn't play an active role in human existence, and morality was determined from how human beings treat eachother and what is best for humanity.

Atheism isn't a fear based philosophy and doesn't use rewards of unreasonable happiness, or threats of agonizing torture to get people to do what it wants. Strangely enough.. I've found that places where atheism is dominant are also places where human flourishing and human dignity are the most.... promoted.

I don't think Soviet Russia, North Korea, or Maoist China count as "atheist" either. All three of them were heavily religious in that they were/are based on "emperor worship" of the dear leader. Moreover, Communism was the sacred text, that noone was allowed to deviate from without severe consequences. These nations hardly encouraged free thought or rational inquiry, and were anti-freedom the same way many organized religions are.

The more I read the history of the planet earth, the more.... inconsequential the human race appears. We are indeed the most advanced animal, and it's tough to think beings with our level of reasoning and intelligence could arise (even ever so gradually) from the primordial muck that has made up millions of years of evolution. Still though. We are oh so new as a species.

If God existed.. I suppose it woudl follow that it was part of his plan to create dinosaurs, and they were his beloved and cherished creation. Before he decided to murder them for not obeying him. From a Catholic persepctive, the extinction of the dinosuars makes a lot of sense. How often did the dinosuars recieve the blessed sacrament? Go to communion?  Have a devotion to the Blessed Mother? Attend mass, or even thank God for the love and blessing he gave them?

The dinosaurs refused to do this did not do any of it not even once Angry !  Luckily God made a new race where at least some of it's members woudl engage in the following Angel .

I realize though.. if I fully deconvert, I woudl have to replace my relgion... not with another religion... but with something else. Nature abhors a vaccuum. Should I just replace my reading of the bible and religious books with fiction, philosophy, or study of biology/science?

Thoughts please! Smile
RE: Atheism Looking Good!
Runnings a good hobby.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

The most important thing is to be completely genuine and not a big fake...............

Looks like you've got that covered Rolleyes
Friendly advice. Go take a mirror and fuck yourself. Takes less typing and it's what you're constantly doing anyway.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
That would be a compliment.

If someone told me to fuck myself I'd say "Bit late to tell me to start doing that really isn't it? You might as well say "Start breathing.""
(February 12, 2016 at 2:06 pm)Evie Wrote: That would be a compliment.

If someone told me to fuck myself I'd say "Bit late to tell me to start doing that really isn't it? You might as well say "Start breathing."."

Your girlfriends are Mistress palm and her five sisters then.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(February 12, 2016 at 2:05 pm)abaris Wrote: Friendly advice. Go take a mirror and fuck yourself. Takes less typing and it's what you're constantly doing anyway.

You know how I feel about the word "fuck right? Undecided  . So... incredibly rude.... Undecided
(February 12, 2016 at 2:08 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote:
(February 12, 2016 at 2:06 pm)Evie Wrote: That would be a compliment.

If someone told me to fuck myself I'd say "Bit late to tell me to start doing that really isn't it? You might as well say "Start breathing."."

Your girlfriends are Mistress palm and her five sisters then.

No Idea
(February 12, 2016 at 2:13 pm)TrueChristian Wrote: You know how I feel about the word "fuck right? Undecided  . So... incredibly rude.... Undecided

Oh, baby's playing butthurt. Well, I'm sure you get over it.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Deconverting can be difficult. You may indeed feel a vacuum. If you are sincere now, feel free to pm me.

I recommend reading the Tao. Not the woo stuff, but the philosophy of acceptance, compassion, and humility. It is hard for some newly deconverted, those of us who were steeped for a long time in doctrine. But life really is beautiful! It may take you son time to get there. You may feel depressed, or angry at being lied to for so long, or confused and lacking the tools to deal with difficult times once prayer begins to seem a silly and useless thing. But these are all things that will pass with time, once you gain real skills to cope with life.

Good luck!
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Looking for comments / ideas for WIP project ABCs of Atheism Judashpeters 18 4489 April 9, 2018 at 2:22 pm
Last Post: Judashpeters
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 26870 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Good Wikipedia article on the History of Atheism. Jehanne 6 1626 April 5, 2017 at 12:45 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  What good is atheism? Detective L Ryuzaki 46 7990 September 17, 2015 at 6:50 am
Last Post: Iroscato
  christian looking to understand athiests msid 212 33843 August 21, 2015 at 10:38 am
Last Post: Mr Greene
  JW looking clarity followup Won2blv 108 11199 April 27, 2015 at 12:43 am
Last Post: Aractus
  JW looking for clarity Won2blv 44 7079 April 19, 2015 at 8:08 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  Tentatively Christian; looking for a reasonable discussion GriffinHunter 216 30755 March 26, 2015 at 6:03 am
Last Post: The Reality Salesman01
  atheist looking for advice jackriot100 56 9310 February 15, 2015 at 5:02 am
Last Post: emilynghiem
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12377 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott