Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 1:40 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Necroposting
Necroposting
I think the necroposting quasi-rule shouldn't exist. Can anyone tell me why it does?
RE: Necroposting
To encourage people to open up new discussion, rather than engage with members who might not have posted in recent years, mainly.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Its not a rule, it's a guideline. Instead of resurecting old threads where people may find themselves replying to users that may not even use the forum anymore, one could create a new thread, more actual where a discussion with present users might happen and be more fruitious.
Because long dead threads try and eat peoples' brains when they're raised.
Dying to live, living to die.
Sometimes those old threads go bad while in storage too.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

The soil of a man's heart is stonier, Excited Penguin. A man grows what he can, and he tends it. 'Cause what you buy, is what you own. And what you own... always comes home to you.

sometimes, dead is better. The thread you post in ain't the same thread. It might look like that thread, but it ain't that thread, because whatever thread lives on the ground beyond the month without anyone posting ain't a thread at all.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

So if it is truly so that you don't reply to members who don't frequent the forums anymore, I don't see why I shouldn't dig up old threads to reply to currently active users.
(February 14, 2016 at 8:23 pm)Excited Penguin Wrote: So if it is truly so that you don't reply to members who don't frequent the forums anymore, I don't see why I shouldn't dig up old threads to reply to currently active users.

The barrier was not meant to be crossed, the ground is sour.

Don’t go beyond, no matter how much you feel you need to, Penguin. The barrier was not made to be broken.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

(February 14, 2016 at 8:23 pm)Excited Penguin Wrote: So if it is truly so that you don't reply to members who don't frequent the forums anymore, I don't see why I shouldn't dig up old threads to reply to currently active users.

You can. I don't know of anyone who ever had to face discipline because of a necrothread. That's why it's a guideline and not a rule. Sometimes old threads are really interesting and appropriate to revive. You're just supposed to use your better judgement.
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
I came to talk you out of it, you need to accept that the thread is dead, not try to bring it back.  I know you're thinkin of putting a post up there.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stop Necroposting Shuffle 115 17317 September 5, 2016 at 3:46 pm
Last Post: Minimalist