Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 11:14 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Future
The Future
What will the future be like, do you think? What would you like it to be?

Just go crazy with it. This is supposed to be fun as well as serious.

I'll start.

Imagine people will live extremely long lives, centuries at least. Do you think this would change the way humans behave? Do you think it'll make us become more rational and less violent, on average(if it ever happens)?
RE: The Future
Boy! I'd hate to live to where I was a great-great-great grandfather! Imagine the culture shock of that generation gap! I wonder what popular music will be in that amount of time. I wonder what form social media will take, or whether it will be replaced by something.

For a while, I engaged in a hobby called conlanging, or building languages. I find language immensely interesting. I wonder what American English will be like in several hundred years.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
(February 14, 2016 at 10:39 pm)c172 Wrote: Boy! I'd hate to live to where I was a great-great-great grandfather! Imagine the culture shock of that generation gap! I wonder what popular music will be in that amount of time. I wonder what form social media will take, or whether it will be replaced by something.

For a while, I engaged in a hobby called conlanging, or building languages. I find language immensely interesting. I wonder what American English will be like in several hundred years.

I suppose it would depend upon how fast things continue to change, and if the the number of years we continue to have the flexibility of mind to adapt would also continue to expand.  I wouldn't mind living for a few centuries if my ability to learn new things remained at my current level, but I do notice the difficulty for those how no longer can.  I'd have to stay actively in touch with the great-great-great-great grandkids though.  It's my kids who bring home new artists, writers, language, and so on.  The tech is actually easier to keep up with.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
Donald Trump is elected president and the country vanishes under a gigantic turd.
(February 14, 2016 at 10:46 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Donald Trump is elected president and the country vanishes under a gigantic turd.

But I'd have centuries to adapt to living in Portugal, or Germany, or Canada. Tongue
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
(February 14, 2016 at 10:36 pm)Excited Penguin Wrote: What will the future be like, do you think? What would you like it to be?

I'll start.

Imagine people will live extremely long lives, centuries at least. Do you think this would change the way humans behave? Do you think it'll make us become more rational and less violent, on average(if it ever happens)?

Oh no, we'd be committing infanticide at record rates, or there would not be sufficient resources to sustain those who just stubbornly refuse to die and make way for new generations. This in turn would cause stagnation of our culture with stalled intellectual progress, art would become lifeless and boring, and then why would anyone want to go on living anyway?

The only way of avoiding the above scenario, short of sending billions of people to colonize the planet, or board a generation ship to the stars (a one-way journey in any case since there's no safe return to Earth gravity after a few years, so who wants to volunteer?) is to impose an arbitrary and mandatory cap on the human life-span. Ever see this movie?

Mr. Hanky loves you!
(February 14, 2016 at 10:48 pm)Jenny A Wrote:
(February 14, 2016 at 10:46 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Donald Trump is elected president and the country vanishes under a gigantic turd.

But I'd have centuries to adapt to living in Portugal, or Germany, or Canada. Tongue

Australia's far better...
Dying to live, living to die.
The future in a nutshell

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
(February 14, 2016 at 11:31 pm)God of Mr. Hanky Wrote:
(February 14, 2016 at 10:36 pm)Excited Penguin Wrote: What will the future be like, do you think? What would you like it to be?

I'll start.

Oh no, we'd be committing infanticide at record rates, or there would not be sufficient resources to sustain those who just stubbornly refuse to die and make way for new generations. This in turn would cause stagnation of our culture with stalled intellectual progress, art would become lifeless and boring, and then why would anyone want to go on living anyway?

The only way of avoiding the above scenario, short of sending billions of people to colonize the planet, or board a generation ship to the stars (a one-way journey in any case since there's no safe return to Earth gravity after a few years, so who wants to volunteer?) is to impose an arbitrary and mandatory cap on the human life-span. Ever see this movie?

Your argument is irrational. The whole point of reproduction is so that a species can survive. Ensuring indefinite lifespans would be the best way to do that.

As for your stagnation scenario, I find it ridiculous and baseless.
I think the further in the future we are talking about, the harder it is to predict exactly what it will be like.

So I'm going to predict the future in a few minutes time:

In a few minutes time stuff will basically be the same.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Future Headlines Foxaèr 41 2439 November 14, 2022 at 6:28 pm
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Future Buzzwords onlinebiker 3 571 January 14, 2020 at 1:41 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  The future of poo Foxaèr 26 1728 March 9, 2018 at 2:40 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  I have seen the future. Gawdzilla Sama 3 850 January 27, 2018 at 11:19 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  My Future/Pressure ScienceAf 19 2192 January 12, 2018 at 4:47 am
Last Post: ScienceAf
  2 pieces of advice for future parents ErGingerbreadMandude 68 13090 November 17, 2017 at 8:07 am
Last Post: Cod
  The Future of Humanity Puke Skywalker 18 3054 July 6, 2017 at 12:47 am
Last Post: Kernel Sohcahtoa
  Virtual reality and the future RozKek 14 1941 June 6, 2016 at 6:32 am
Last Post: RozKek
  Donlad Trump and the future of the Republican Party TheMonster 20 4425 November 25, 2015 at 1:46 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  For future reference Losty 33 5076 October 12, 2015 at 1:47 am
Last Post: vorlon13