Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 10:07 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Report System Abuse Rule
Report System Abuse Rule
Quote:Posts which violate the rules should be reported to staff in an appropriate manner. Creating a thread to complain about a member or a post is not allowed. 
This is in the rules. I wonder why this part of the Report System Abuse Rule is in place. I hope someone enlightens me as to the explicit purpose of this part of this rule. Thank you.(I may have further questions once this gets answered)
RE: Report System Abuse Rule
Dirty laundry is a private business.
Not only would creating a thread to highlight why some user violates the rules also violate the "No Calling Out" rule, but creating the thread so the entire membership could see it is inappropriate and would not be conducive to keeping members around.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(February 15, 2016 at 3:44 am)SteelCurtain Wrote: Not only would creating a thread to highlight why some user violates the rules also violate the "No Calling Out" rule, but creating the thread so the entire membership could see it is inappropriate and would not be conducive to keeping members around.

Why is it inappropriate for the entire membership to see it and why do you think it wouldn't be conducive to keeping members around?

Also, do you agree that people on this site mostly use the New Posts or Today's Posts features to navigate and view different threads and posts and not the different sections of the forum that divide the types of threads thematically, and so how does it make sense to disallow someone from doing this in a thread especially created with this purpose in mind and not someone who does it in an ongoing thread about something else? If the purpose here is for the members not to have to see it then, surely, that purpose is not served adequately, given the current stipulations of that part of that rule.
(February 15, 2016 at 3:52 am)Excited Penguin Wrote:
(February 15, 2016 at 3:44 am)SteelCurtain Wrote: Not only would creating a thread to highlight why some user violates the rules also violate the "No Calling Out" rule, but creating the thread so the entire membership could see it is inappropriate and would not be conducive to keeping members around.

Why is it inappropriate for the entire membership to see it and why do you think it wouldn't be conducive to keeping members around?

Because the entire purpose of creating said thread would be to put a person on blast in front of everyone. This would create an environment in which people might feel like if they screw up, they'll be publically shamed. Also, it assumes the person who created the thread has the ability/knowledge to determine what is a rule violation and what is not. The fact is, the vast majority of the reports we get are voted "no action." If everyone who reported those threads were to make a public thread, we'd have hundreds of threads calling out people for doing something that the staff would deem not a violation. Lastly, sometimes the "no action" votes wouldn't be so popular among the forum-at-large. If these "reports" were made publicly, it would put undue influence on the staff to act by what's popular, rather than abiding by the rules.

(February 15, 2016 at 3:52 am)Excited Penguin Wrote: Also, do you agree that people on this site mostly use the New Posts or Today's Posts features to navigate and view different threads and posts and not the different sections of the forum that divide the types of threads thematically, and so how does it make sense to disallow someone from doing this in a thread especially created with this purpose in mind and not someone who does it in an ongoing thread about something else? If the purpose here is for the members not to have to see it then, surely, that purpose is not served adequately, given the current stipulations of that part of that rule.

This made no sense to me whatsoever. Rephrase, if necessary.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(February 15, 2016 at 4:44 am)SteelCurtain Wrote:
(February 15, 2016 at 3:52 am)Excited Penguin Wrote: Why is it inappropriate for the entire membership to see it and why do you think it wouldn't be conducive to keeping members around?

Because the entire purpose of creating said thread would be to put a person on blast in front of everyone. This would create an environment in which people might feel like if they screw up, they'll be publically shamed. Also, it assumes the person who created the thread has the ability/knowledge to determine what is a rule violation and what is not. The fact is, the vast majority of the reports we get are voted "no action." If everyone who reported those threads were to make a public thread, we'd have hundreds of threads calling out people for doing something that the staff would deem not a violation. Lastly, sometimes the "no action" votes wouldn't be so popular among the forum-at-large. If these "reports" were made publicly, it would put undue influence on the staff to act by what's popular, rather than abiding by the rules.

(February 15, 2016 at 3:52 am)Excited Penguin Wrote: Also, do you agree that people on this site mostly use the New Posts or Today's Posts features to navigate and view different threads and posts and not the different sections of the forum that divide the types of threads thematically, and so how does it make sense to disallow someone from doing this in a thread especially created with this purpose in mind and not someone who does it in an ongoing thread about something else? If the purpose here is for the members not to have to see it then, surely, that purpose is not served adequately, given the current stipulations of that part of that rule.

This made no sense to me whatsoever. Rephrase, if necessary.

Basically, my question is, why is it not allowed to complain about someone in that manner in an especially created thread and yet it is allowed to so in a non-related thread(with a simple reply/post). Doesn't the latter scenario raise all the same problems as listed by you above concerning the former scenario? I understand that there's a difference between creating a thread with the sole purpose of shaming someone in this manner and replying off-topic in a non-related thread with a similar intent in mind, but isn't the latter wrong for the same reasons?
No, because it does not draw anyone into that thread for the sole purpose of calling them out for violating a rule.

Staff members use speedbumps all the time for this purpose. We would never create a thread in order to put a member on blast.

It is against the rules to assume the duties of a moderator, so if a person is threatening someone with moderator action or banning, then that is already against the rules.

(February 15, 2016 at 4:52 am)SteelCurtain Wrote: No, because it does not draw anyone into that thread for the sole purpose of calling them out for violating a rule.

Staff members use speedbumps all the time for this purpose. We would never create a thread in order to put a member on blast.

Yes, I know staff do, and rightly so, but what about when a member publicly asks(in a non-OP post) that another member be banned? Is this kind of practice accepted?
(February 15, 2016 at 4:52 am)SteelCurtain Wrote:

It is against the rules to assume the duties of a moderator, so if a person is threatening someone with moderator action or banning, then that is already against the rules.

What do you call trying to silence someone by invoking that they should be banned -again-( also covertly implying that you will be, if you don't stop) and in effect asking that punishing be mete out? All of this being done by a member. Is that kind of thing allowed? Namely, publicly asking that someone be banned or trying to bully someone into submission in that manner?
There would be nothing wrong with that unless they followed a user around to every thread they were in and asked the same thing. In that case, we'd just ask them to report the instances of the rule they thought the person should be banned for, and we'd educate them on why or why not that is a bannable offense and ask them to stop requesting a ban.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Eliminate Automatic Insertion of Horizontal Rule Neo-Scholastic 21 2896 November 29, 2017 at 11:10 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Question about latest forum rule Catholic_Lady 29 4681 November 14, 2017 at 4:27 pm
Last Post: Tiberius
  Alternative to "click bait" rule: block threads robvalue 40 5721 February 6, 2017 at 1:38 am
Last Post: rexbeccarox
  Trolling rule Excited Penguin 61 7486 November 19, 2016 at 8:40 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  R'lyeh rule Excited Penguin 54 5530 February 17, 2016 at 7:34 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Honestly, I'm fucking tired of this quoting system Foxaèr 11 1795 August 5, 2015 at 4:31 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Rep system not working Napoléon 24 3951 May 1, 2015 at 1:45 pm
Last Post: Dystopia
  30/30 Rule Pyrrho 31 7907 February 22, 2015 at 2:21 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Suggested Rule Revelation777 197 39077 May 6, 2014 at 1:39 am
Last Post: Esquilax
  Am I breaking a forum rule? Something completely different 2 2207 August 20, 2013 at 11:44 am
Last Post: CleanShavenJesus