Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 1:45 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Analogy of the...Football?
Analogy of the...Football?
A buddy of mine is a (non-denominational) Christian and every so often we have conversations about religion. They're usually pretty innocent, not very heated. Yesterday he pulled this one on me:

Me: Why do you take the Bible for its word?
Him: I don't really believe the majority of it to be honest. I just enjoy it more as a work of philosophy than history.
M: Why be Christian then? If you'd like to believe in God but don't believe in the Christian holy book, why not be a Deist or something?
H: If nobody truly knows the answer to all of this, then does it matter? 
M: It seems incredibly arbitrary.
H: That's because it is. It's like football. You're a Giants fan. Why are you a Giants fan? Because you were born in New York and you grew up in a household of Giants fans. That seems pretty arbitrary to me, but you're a huge fan. You don't miss a game, half your clothes are Giants gear. You could have been a Panthers fan or a Steelers fan, and you would probably have the same attitude. But no matter what team you're a fan of, in the end every NFL fan has the same goal: to enjoy watching some football. And religious belief is the same way. Christians, Jews, Muslims, and atheists all looking for an answer, looking for truth. Why does it matter what team I'm rooting for?

Thoughts? I figured it mattered because what you believed depended on what circle of Hell you'd be going to. Wink
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]
RE: Analogy of the...Football?
The fact that he uses the phrase 'looking for truth' immediately followed by 'why does it matter' is rather inane and contradictory. If it doesn't matter which 'team' one roots for, then one obviously doesn't care about what's 'true.'
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Richard Carrier - The Hero Savior Analogy Minimalist 135 19323 October 4, 2016 at 8:46 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Satanists to give invocation at high school football game jenny1972 28 6520 October 29, 2015 at 11:54 pm
Last Post: MentalGiant
  A Simple Analogy ChildOfReason 6 3549 November 7, 2013 at 10:13 pm
Last Post: Captain Colostomy