Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 2:21 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Black History Month: Madame CJ Walker
Black History Month: Madame CJ Walker
So I have a bone to pick with the legacy of Madame CJ Walker. She's often hailed as a great inventor. One of first black female self-made millionaires. But no one stops to think that her success was built on the roots denigrating black female beauty. The creation of the relaxer (not invented by her but heavily marketed), and mass marketing of the hot comb is not something we as a people should be celebrating. I'm not saying black women and Al Sharpton shouldn't have the choice to straighten our curls but to pretend as if the history of doing isn't rooted in shame and white supremacy is wrong. And celebrating a woman who helped reinforce Eurocentric beauty standards is wrong.
RE: Black History Month: Madame CJ Walker
I don't wholly disagree with you, but I think instead of criticising black people for encouraging assimilation, criticise the system that causes it in the first place. You can't really demonise black people for inventing stuff to "look less black", when they live in a white-dominated society where looking as European as possible brings them privileges. It's a whole system there that we have to critique, not just one individual.

I think considering the context of the time is important as well. This was at the turn of the last Century, slavery hadn't long been abolished, it was a period of high racism when America had the prelude to the KKK and Jim Crow. I don't think at that point it would have been possible for black women to have a fully-fledged natural hair movement, without running into some serious problems for it.

I've just been reading about her, and tbh she did a lot of good work besides that, encouraging entrepeneurship among black women and contributing to NAACP causes. She donated so much money to charitable causes to help black people.
"Adulthood is like looking both ways before you cross the road, and then getting hit by an airplane"  - sarcasm_only

"Ironically like the nativist far-Right, which despises multiculturalism, but benefits from its ideas of difference to scapegoat the other and to promote its own white identity politics; these postmodernists, leftists, feminists and liberals also use multiculturalism, to side with the oppressor, by demanding respect and tolerance for oppression characterised as 'difference', no matter how intolerable."
- Maryam Namazie

When anyone does something considered wrong on this planet it normally takes 4 or 5 degrees of separation for the issue to be blamed on white people, it only took 1 step on this thread for the issue to be put on white people.

I don't personally think there's an issue ANYONE can be blamed for when it comes to most natural laws of attraction and beauty standards (there's some exceptions to this but nothing related to this thread) If you're a man and you're short with a small dick, it isn't the fault of women you can't get sex, if you're a black woman with a huge afro and you live in a society where men on average find straight hair more attractive it isn't societies fault.  You're born with it and you can either change it by manipulating your hair style or just accept people on average will find you less attractive.  Or just wait for society and beauty standards to change which they often do.  I'm still waiting for beards to stop being attractive to women because my facial hair is as tough as metal wire and I'm not going to endure that pain just to look more trendy, but I won't be blaming society or women for finding beards attractive either.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

Ok, edited. Happy now?
"Adulthood is like looking both ways before you cross the road, and then getting hit by an airplane"  - sarcasm_only

"Ironically like the nativist far-Right, which despises multiculturalism, but benefits from its ideas of difference to scapegoat the other and to promote its own white identity politics; these postmodernists, leftists, feminists and liberals also use multiculturalism, to side with the oppressor, by demanding respect and tolerance for oppression characterised as 'difference', no matter how intolerable."
- Maryam Namazie

(February 16, 2016 at 9:23 am)Yeauxleaux Wrote: Ok, edited. Happy now?

I've just started work so I could be happier but I had a really good sleep so I'm feeling pretty fresh

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

You're now blaming the system for people having certain standards of beauty, which system is this?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does the Great Man approach to history still have use? FrustratedFool 45 2304 December 6, 2023 at 7:08 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Most notorious badass in history? Fake Messiah 67 3690 September 7, 2023 at 6:39 am
  Is history best forgotten? MarcusA 0 321 August 18, 2023 at 12:56 am
Last Post: MarcusA
  The biggest scandal in history Fake Messiah 23 1518 August 14, 2023 at 8:32 am
Last Post: no one
  Want to know WW2 history? Brian37 12 1682 June 13, 2023 at 9:57 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Who was the worst Christian in history? Fake Messiah 29 3670 February 28, 2023 at 1:38 pm
  History is for suckers. brokefree 13 1338 September 2, 2021 at 10:45 pm
  The Bilble the oldest living form of written history we have jasonelijah 37 4022 April 22, 2021 at 3:08 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Presidential history. Brian37 16 1176 January 4, 2021 at 2:13 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Raven about Polls ..... History or myth? Brian37 9 1252 October 14, 2020 at 8:41 am