Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 4:11 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any Atheists here who at one time denied evolution?
Any Atheists here who at one time denied evolution?
I'm curious if there are any atheists here who at one time had denied evolution.  I'd think that it's rarer for someone who denies evolution to change their views on religion than someone who doesn't.  When my husband told me that he was a creationist who didn't believe in evolution, I thought "Oh when you were a kid?"  Because he's a fairly smart guy.  He didn't exactly fail biology.  In fact he had the highest grade in the entire school in biology (he finished the year with higher than a perfect grade).  So I was surprised when he told me that he didn't start believing in evolution until after we graduated.  He said he knew the theory, but didn't agree with it until after he had (oddly enough) watched the movie Dogma.  I thought that was an odd thing to change his mind, but apparently it allowed him to reconcile the idea of God and Evolution.   Apparently for him it wasn't that the evidence wasn't good enough, but that it contradicted his religious beliefs at the time.  

The idea of denying evolution seems to be something deeply embedded in the minds of people.  But I also wonder if perhaps it's actually more likely (logical) people who deny evolution to turn to Atheism.  I mean once you learn one thing you've believed is a lie, it seems like there might be some sort of rolling effect where you start questioning all of your beliefs.  At the same time, those people tend to have deeply embedded beliefs that were instilled in them when they were young, so one thing might not be enough to get it all rolling.

I know when I turned to atheism it was a rolling effect of sorts.  I never denied evolution, but I went from Catholic, to Protestant, to Non-Denominational before finally becoming an Atheist.  And I know my husband's views of Christianity went from more fundamentalist ideas to more abstract ideas that weren't rooted in church or the bible. 

Any Atheists here who used to deny evolution?  If so, what changed your mind? Was it part of what made you a non-believer?
The whole tone of Church teaching in regard to woman is, to the last degree, contemptuous and degrading. - Elizabeth Cady Stanton
RE: Any Atheists here who at one time denied evolution?
How can you have higher than a perfect grade?

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

That was one of my triggers, Cecelia.  One of the first ones.
I was raised fundie Protestant.  I remember assemblies in the Church school I attended, that proclaimed why Evolution was a lie.  My parents believed (even my Father, a very intelligent, college-educated man) that all of the "fossil evidence" was either deliberately faked or misinterpreted.
Then I changed schools.  I went to a public high school and made friends with a girl whose parents were biologists.  When I told them what I had been taught about evolution, one night over dinner . . . they were kind, but I will never forget their faces.  They clearly were looking at me with a mixture of horror and pity.  That - - was significant.  These intelligent scientists were looking at me like I was somehow mentally deficient.
It took a few more years, science classes, and reading, for me to be SURE that my Parents and those Preachers had been very wrong.  That, of course, paved the way to more questions about science and religion.  First stop . . . fundamentalism was wrong.  But even more mainstream liberal Christianity gradually lost its hold.  The idea of Deism and Polytheism and Spirituality and all of that . . . tried, studied, and abandoned.  But I was in my mid-40's before I finally proclaimed that I was an atheist.
"The family that prays together...is brainwashing their children."- Albert Einstein
(February 16, 2016 at 1:22 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote: How can you have higher than a perfect grade?

Extra credit.

(February 16, 2016 at 1:28 pm)drfuzzy Wrote: That was one of my triggers, Cecelia.  One of the first ones.
I was raised fundie Protestant.  I remember assemblies in the Church school I attended, that proclaimed why Evolution was a lie.  My parents believed (even my Father, a very intelligent, college-educated man) that all of the "fossil evidence" was either deliberately faked or misinterpreted.
Then I changed schools.  I went to a public high school and made friends with a girl whose parents were biologists.  When I told them what I had been taught about evolution, one night over dinner . . . they were kind, but I will never forget their faces.  They clearly were looking at me with a mixture of horror and pity.  That - - was significant.  These intelligent scientists were looking at me like I was somehow mentally deficient.
It took a few more years, science classes, and reading, for me to be SURE that my Parents and those Preachers had been very wrong.  That, of course, paved the way to more questions about science and religion.  First stop . . . fundamentalism was wrong.  But even more mainstream liberal Christianity gradually lost its hold.  The idea of Deism and Polytheism and Spirituality and all of that . . . tried, studied, and abandoned.  But I was in my mid-40's before I finally proclaimed that I was an atheist.

Yeah, I can imagine it's hard.  I mean you are supposed to be able to trust your parents.  Why would they lie to you?  It's hard to start to think "Well, they wouldn't lie to me, but someone would lie to them, and someone might have lied to them, setting forth a chain of lies leading back to someone nobody knows, and who probably had reason to lie"
The whole tone of Church teaching in regard to woman is, to the last degree, contemptuous and degrading. - Elizabeth Cady Stanton
When I was a young christian, I didn't really have a problem with evolution. I just figured it's what happened after the flood happened. and I wasn't a yougn earth creationist that thought the flood was 4,000 years ago.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

I have never denied evolution as an adult (who knows what was coerced from me in Sunday school ?)

but I have denied Lysenkoism.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

People who deny evolution are basically saying that either every offspring is an identical copy of its mother or its father; or else it has random attributes that in no way depend on its parents. This is so demonstrably untrue, that I wonder how anyone can take this belief seriously.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(February 16, 2016 at 2:27 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: I have never denied evolution as an adult (who knows what was coerced from me in Sunday school ?)

but I have denied Lysenkoism.

That's pretty low hanging fruit as far as denial goes. Come back when you've denied something gutsy!
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(February 16, 2016 at 2:30 pm)robvalue Wrote: People who deny evolution are basically saying that either every offspring is an identical copy of its mother or its father; or else it has random attributes that in no way depend on its parents. This is so demonstrably untrue, that I wonder how anyone can take this belief seriously.

Yeah, you'd basically have to deny livestock breeding. To be fair though, most people who "deny evolution" (and actually think about it) don't deny that evolution happens at all, just that it does (or even can) account for the historical origin of species from a common ancestor. Hence the micro evolution shtick.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Even before I learned the term "evolution", that concept was much more plausible to me than the suggested alternative. But I did have some other silly ideas as a kid, like I used to think Adam and Eve were just two of our ancestors who actually got documented and that they actually were giants compared to us. In my defence, this was before I actually read the book of their origin story. After reading... I face-palmed!
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How may one refute the religious stonewall argument "all is one"? Osopatata 29 2616 December 21, 2020 at 4:05 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2176 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Any other atheists just feel an acute intolerance for religious people? WisdomOfTheTrees 93 13799 February 10, 2017 at 3:35 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  A challenge for any Atheist who been here for a long time! Mystic 36 4513 January 11, 2017 at 8:16 pm
Last Post: comet
  One of the best videos i've seen in a long time Heat 1 1108 December 22, 2015 at 5:04 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Leaving cards with one Bible verse and one Quran verse for people to discover? ReptilianPeon 7 2327 November 10, 2015 at 2:27 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
  How many Atheist are also vote Republican from time to time? MattB 52 9590 July 18, 2015 at 12:43 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Any vegetarians? Should I become one? JaceDeanLove 37 6640 November 25, 2014 at 6:34 pm
Last Post: process613
  One Small Step For Life, One Giant Leap For Understanding LivingNumbers6.626 6 3373 July 28, 2014 at 2:28 pm
Last Post: LivingNumbers6.626
  Can Atheists and Religious people be one? Phatt Matt s 14 3777 March 28, 2014 at 5:03 pm
Last Post: Minimalist