Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 9:59 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Eagles of Death Metal leader sounds off on gun control
Eagles of Death Metal leader sounds off on gun control
Interesting perspective.
http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/16/entertainm...index.html

Quote:When asked about his stance on guns, Hughes said, "Did your French gun control stop a single f****** person from dying at the Bataclan? And if anyone can answer yes, I'd like to hear it, because I don't think so. I think the only thing that stopped it was some of the bravest men that I've ever seen in my life charging headfirst into the face of death with their firearms."

Quote:Hughes said that guns were the equalizer the night of the terror attacks.

"I hate it that it's that way," he said. "I think the only way that my mind has been changed is that maybe that until nobody has guns, everybody has to have them. Because I don't want to ever see something like this happen again."
RE: Eagles of Death Metal leader sounds off on gun control
Idiot.
I am John Cena's hip-hop album.
(February 16, 2016 at 9:22 pm)ApeNotKillApe Wrote: Idiot.

I mean... I might not agree with him either, but until you're on stage one night when terrorists start killing anyone they can find, I think "idiot" is a pretty closed-minded thing to say. I pretty much think we'd be better off with as few guns as possible, but I'm not positive I wouldn't change my mind after the situation he was in.

Edit: I wrote that before you completely edited your reply.
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
(February 16, 2016 at 9:28 pm)The_Empress Wrote:

I mean... I might not agree with him either, but until you're on stage one night when terrorists start killing anyone they can find, I think "idiot" is a pretty closed-minded thing to say. I pretty much think we'd be better off with as few guns as possible, but I'm not positive I wouldn't change my mind after the situation he was in.

Yeah, I'm being unfair, that's just my knee-jerk reaction whenever someone suggests what people need is more weaponry. In America, how often does some hero step in to stop a spree killer? They rarely do, if ever.
I am John Cena's hip-hop album.
(February 16, 2016 at 9:32 pm)ApeNotKillApe Wrote:
(February 16, 2016 at 9:28 pm)The_Empress Wrote: I mean... I might not agree with him either, but until you're on stage one night when terrorists start killing anyone they can find, I think "idiot" is a pretty closed-minded thing to say. I pretty much think we'd be better off with as few guns as possible, but I'm not positive I wouldn't change my mind after the situation he was in.

Yeah, I'm being unfair, that's just my knee-jerk reaction whenever someone suggests what people need is more weaponry. In America, how often does some hero step in to stop a spree killer? They rarely do, if ever.

You won't find much disagreement with that here.
He's forgetting that most Europeans don't want to live in a gun-ridden hell hole.

And oh look, another gun thread from a religious minded gun nut. If a dog or small child was this fixated on a single object it would be taken off to a psychologist.

The proof of that is that he's going to vote Donald Trump.

http://atheistforums.org/thread-41121-po...pid1199389
The problem is that one would like to think that the victims of gun violence and terrorism somehow have a sensible and important opinion on the matter, because it at first makes intuitive sense and it is a nice narrative that they now have earned a right to say something about it and be heard. But that's not how it works. Traumatic experiences don't necessarily make your thoughts more coherent and insightful.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(February 17, 2016 at 4:46 am)Alex K Wrote: The problem is that one would like to think that the victims of gun violence and terrorism somehow have a sensible and important opinion on the matter, because it at first makes intuitive sense and it is a nice narrative that they now have earned a right to say something about it and be heard. But that's not how it works. Traumatic experiences don't necessarily make your thoughts more coherent and insightful.

He was also a long term advocate for guns. Presumably this is the anger stage of the his grief where he is looking to blame it on something.

Things have never gone well when policy has been dictated by those who are grieving.
(February 17, 2016 at 4:46 am)Alex K Wrote: The problem is that one would like to think that the victims of gun violence and terrorism somehow have a sensible and important opinion on the matter, because it at first makes intuitive sense and it is a nice narrative that they now have earned a right to say something about it and be heard. But that's not how it works. Traumatic experiences don't necessarily make your thoughts more coherent and insightful.

I totally agree with you. I don't think he's got anything more or less insightful to say about guns now that he's gone through his experience.

(February 17, 2016 at 5:04 am)Mathilda Wrote:

He was also a long term advocate for guns. Presumably this is the anger stage of the his grief where he is looking to blame it on something.

Things have never gone well when policy has been dictated by those who are grieving.

I'll point you once again to my signature Big Grin

I didn't realize the guy was previously a gun nut. The idiot meter is pointing closer to "yes" right now.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gun Control Leonardo17 38 1610 November 12, 2023 at 7:12 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  THE Gun Thread onlinebiker 1251 111222 August 19, 2022 at 8:25 am
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Why have a gun? onlinebiker 91 3785 April 6, 2022 at 10:02 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Gun Church buys 40-Acre Compound Foxaèr 12 1089 May 28, 2021 at 1:56 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  NXIVM Cult leader due to be sentenced tomoz...predictions? Duty 13 636 October 27, 2020 at 7:01 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Another gun discussion part deux. Drich 66 2504 October 8, 2020 at 1:13 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Border Control Gets Bipartisan Support onlinebiker 20 1348 August 6, 2020 at 11:05 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
Thumbs Down Gun Control Crowd Safer? - and a control group onlinebiker 131 9659 April 21, 2020 at 5:24 am
  This Is NOT A Gun Control Thread!! BrianSoddingBoru4 34 1697 February 28, 2020 at 4:15 pm
  Yes, Kids - ANOTHER Gun Thread BrianSoddingBoru4 16 1180 September 14, 2019 at 5:51 pm