Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 4:35 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quran 51:56 (an Iyah I think deserves more attention)
Quran 51:56 (an Iyah I think deserves more attention)
Just some thoughts on the following Iyah:
Quran 51:56 "I have only created Jinns and men, that they may serve Me."

The verse is asserting that the sole purpose of humans and Jinns is to worship Allah. This raises several questions. And it also appears to be contradictory.

1. Why did Allah want humans and Jinn only to worship it?
2. Why does Allah demand worship when it doesn't need us at all?
3. Since Allah has the perfect plan for all of our lives then surely that means that our purpose is more than just to worship Allah?
4. According to Quran 51:56, Allah created us to be robots yet we are not. Why?

If our only purpose was to worship Allah then that should mean Allah should not have a plan for us. A plan implies  that Allah does not want us only to worship it. It means that Allah  is guiding the universe, suggesting we have purposes for existing other than to worship Allah. I believe this contradicts Quran 51:56 because it mean humans are doing thing other than worshiping Allah, which is not what humans were apparently created for. If the only purpose of a human is to worship Allah, then why does human design allow us to do  so much more than that?

We are not designed in such a way that the only thing which we can do well is worship Allah. If our only purpose was to worship Allah then Allah must have designed us really poorly because humans have to use so much of their day getting food to just to stay alive in order to keep worshiping Allah, as does everything else in our universe. Early humans foraged for food, which was extremely time consuming, and modern humans have to work to earn money to pay for food. People often work long and days, and that means that they are to serving Allah.

I knew the Quran was confusing already, but the mental gymnastics to defend Quran 51:56 must be insane. And if we are suffering hardship then that will surely distract us from worshiping Allah, as does everything else in our universe*. Allah should put a stop to all of the evils because fear and confusion mean that we will be more concerned with our immediate surroundings than focusing on Allah. Quran 2:155 says:

"Be sure we shall test you with something of fear and hunger, some loss in goods or lives or the fruits (of your toil), but give glad tidings to those who patiently persevere,"

*Maybe Allah should have given us a really boring existence in which the only interesting thing to do is to worship it? Like limit humans to a really boring room with zero distractions and where you can't get hungry or get hurt. Clearly Allah is trying to send us to the hellfire by giving us all of these distractions.

Why would Allah district us with a "test" if our purpose is only to worship it? When Allah makes us hungry it causes us to go in search of food, and all the time we are trying to obtain food we are to able to worship Allah. So our purpose must not be exclusively to worship Allah because we must also endure that hardships Allah gives us. That's my thoughts on the Iyah.

RE: Quran 51:56 (an Iyah I think deserves more attention)
Just to add, I think Allah, like Yaweh, suffers from a bad case of Egomania. I've alluded to that before. And Quran 51:56 makes it ever so clear that Allah loves that power it has over us. And I believe the hellfire is an abuse of that power. It is said absolute power corrupts absolutely.

I think anyone posing complicated theological questions to the wrong mullah/imam/whatever might wind up decapitated.

If you're not buying in to the crappola, then you're an infidel, and they always know what to do with an infidel.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Allah doesn't like it when you ask too many questions about religion.

"Sahih al-Bukhari » Good Manners and Form (Al-Adab)
Narrated Al-Mughira:
The Prophet said, "Allah has forbidden you ( 1 ) to be undutiful to your mothers (2) to withhold (what you should give) or (3) demand (what you do not deserve), and (4) to bury your daughters alive. And Allah has disliked that (A) you talk too much about others ( B), ask too many questions (in religion), or © waste your property.""
I've never understood what a god is meant to get out of worship. Particularly from creatures he made, with worship in mind.

This verse seems to reinforce the whole submission aspect which seems even more prevalent in Islam than Christianity.

What the fuck are djinn anyway? I mean, I've played many games featuring them. But what are they meant to be in reality? Angels, or something?
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(February 17, 2016 at 7:05 pm)MrNoMorePropaganda Wrote: Just some thoughts on the following Iyah:
Quran 51:56 "I have only created Jinns and men, that they may serve Me."

Serve?
No, it's "worship"; the meaning can be furthermore be explained & elaborated, when God cites that he doesn't need anybody to feed him or bring him livelihood.

It's better to quote the whole verses, so the context becomes clear, and the honesty & integrity can be admitted as a support for the point being made.

( Sura 51 Verse 56 )   And I did not create the jinn and mankind except to worship Me.
( Sura 51 Verse 57 )   I do not want from them any livelihood, nor do I want them to feed Me.

Now, as we have the verses in the correct context, the argument can be answered.
It's very ironic for the author of the Quran to say in the first verse that he wants people to serve him, then come in the next verse and say that he doesn't need anybody. This is pretty insulting, because by this you're accusing 2 Billion Muslims -along with thousands of generations across  1400 years of continues Islamic lifespan- of being mentally retarded. That's why I stressed on you bringing the correct translation, it's not "serve", it''s "worship". And there's a huge difference between the two.

Like, it gotta mean something else, MNMP Smile

Quote:1. Why did Allah want humans and Jinn only to worship it?

Worshiping him is life. When we breath, we are worshiping him. When our hearts beat, we are worshiping him. When we eat, we are worshiping him.
Not "serving". But "worshiping". That's the big difference between the two words; as I have cited above.

Just like bees:

( Sura 16 Verse 68 )   And your Lord inspired to the bee, "Take for yourself among the mountains, houses, and among the trees and [in] that which they construct.
( Sura 16 69 )   Then eat from all the fruits and follow the ways of your Lord laid down [for you]." There emerges from their bellies a drink, varying in colors, in which there is healing for people. Indeed in that is a sign for a people who give thought.

We are obeying him in every moment we're spending alive, even you MNMP, currently many parts of your body worship God, but you're in denial.
Just like the bees, they worship God through their lifespan, and the conclusion is the sweet honey we eat.

Quote:2. Why does Allah demand worship when it doesn't need us at all?

Your question is factually wrong, because you replaced "worship" with "service".
You're confusing the two.

Quote:3. Since Allah has the perfect plan for all of our lives then surely that means that our purpose is more than just to worship Allah?

Worship ? I thought it was service.

The plan is something we inherit, but we through our own actions, are the builders of the rest of the plan.
Anyhow, since worshiping him is living, maybe that's our purpose ? to live ?

Just like the bees?
Anyhow, it was you who said we are animals in a previous topic.

Quote:4. According to Quran 51:56, Allah created us to be robots yet we are not. Why?

No. Humans create robots to "serve ".
God creates humans to "worship him".

That's the big difference.
Serve makes even less sense.

He's all powerful, or something. What service does he need? What can he do with humans and djinns that he couldn't already?

What a creep.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
I have to agree with Robvalue here. You're digging a hole for yourself AtlasS33. Though I do appreciate your effort. What service does Allah need from us? The creator of our universe. Allah can get by without us so why bother creating us? Are the angels not good enough? While we're at it, why create anything at all?

1. Serving can be viewed as an act of worship. Or maybe that's a pre-Christian bias of mine. Anyhow:
2. If we change the word from "worship" to "serve" the questions still hold in my opinion. We can do lots of things besides "serving". But you then say "God creates humans to "worship him" even though you just told me off for using the word "worship".
3. How much of a person's day can be dedicated to service/worship, realistically? Not that much I assume; humans need to live. Humans could have been designed so much better if their purpose is (only) to serve/worship Allah.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does the Quran support Theocracy? Leonardo17 17 759 Yesterday at 2:17 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  New Controversies around the Desecration of the Quran Leonardo17 100 8179 August 20, 2023 at 12:10 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Quran and Hadiths annatar 34 20455 October 11, 2022 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  "Nas" is probably my favorite arabic word in the Quran Woah0 22 1213 August 22, 2022 at 3:19 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  [Quranic reflection]: The Big Bang theory in the Quran. WinterHold 62 4199 June 14, 2022 at 1:21 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  How I'd Reveal the Quran To Humanity ReptilianPeon 23 2830 May 11, 2022 at 9:22 pm
Last Post: Cavalry
  2-big bang theory in the Quran mo3taz3nbar 108 48620 April 3, 2022 at 12:09 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  [Quranic Reflection]: Quran vs Hadith- why the Hadith is false WinterHold 176 11500 January 15, 2022 at 2:39 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  [Quranic Reflection]: On reading the Quran.. WinterHold 1 851 July 24, 2021 at 5:23 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  [Quranic Reflection]: moon absorbed by the sun in the Quran: far future. WinterHold 253 13857 December 18, 2020 at 9:25 pm
Last Post: polymath257