Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 18, 2024, 11:57 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A crazy theory
A crazy theory
Have any of you read the book, Tin Monkeys? It's an athesist wet dream. This book melted my brain. You want a wholly new perspective on the philosophy of life, where we came from, why we're here, why people are duped into believing in impossible gods, how the hell Nostradamus could possibly have predicted future events, why people see ghosts and the like, you HAVE to take a look at this book.
RE: A crazy theory
Never heard of it.

Might check it out if I get the time.

I'm not, however, a believer in prophecy whether from holy books or the likes of Nostradamus. If someone provides a "prophecy" that is clear, not open to interpretation, and isn't only recognisable as the event AFTER it happens, I'll accept that prophecy can occur.
Dying to live, living to die.
Just read the first three chapters of the novel, provided as a sample by the author, here:

http://andrenikysergoyan.weebly.com/tin-monkeys.html

I like it a lot.

It's just fiction though, the bullshit the author talks about above the sample isn't real(proven).
Welcome Ruprick.

Why don't you tell us something about yourself. Start an introduction thread.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Never heard of it and don't need a book to find meaning in life. If it's amusing, I might give it a try. If the author's on a mission, I won't.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(February 18, 2016 at 4:16 pm)abaris Wrote: Never heard of it and don't need a book to find meaning in life. If it's amusing, I might give it a try. If the author's on a mission, I won't.

It's just a novel, as far as I can tell. If you ignore the introduction and stick to the story, it's alright.
I have not heard of it, but welcome to the forum Smile
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
I prefer non-fiction personally.  I find fiction, biblical or otherwise, largely a waste of time unless it's exceptionality entertaining...

Prophecies, like those of Nostradamus, are just vague enough to be applied to many events similar to the way horoscopes are vague enough to apply to just about anyone regardless of their astrological sign.
It's a science fiction novel, but the science and the historical stuff the author talks about all checks out and leads me to some serious head scratching. I love books like this. I gave it to my hyper-religious mom to read and she says, "You don't seriously believe this nonsense?" I had to laugh. Why is it any less plausible than, to quote the novel, "a trans-dimensional, all-powerful, all-seeing, infallible immortal created the universe and everything in it as part of some divine need to bear children." lol

And I totally agree with you, Valkyrie, I think Nostradamus and the like are just fortunetelling BS. I was a bit shocked when I read that Abraham Lincoln dreamt of his assassination just days before it happened. I had to google that one. Turns out it's true.

And thanks for welcoming me. A little about me? Well, I like dirt bikes and video games, come from a very religious family and argue constantly with them (always heated, usually well-spirited though), and thought I could gleam some good show stoppers on a forum like this one Wink
It's just a novel, not a science book. So read it as such.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How many of you atheists believe in the Big Bang Theory? Authari 95 3933 January 8, 2024 at 3:21 pm
Last Post: h4ym4n
  First order logic, set theory and God dr0n3 293 25084 December 11, 2018 at 11:35 am
Last Post: T0 Th3 M4X
  A loose “theory” of the dynamics of religious belief Bunburryist 6 1653 August 14, 2016 at 2:14 pm
Last Post: Bunburryist
  Do you have Crazy Religious Relatives? Cecelia 30 2703 July 9, 2016 at 1:17 am
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  Top misconceptions of Theory of Evolution you had to deal with ErGingerbreadMandude 76 12278 March 7, 2016 at 6:08 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  Atheists have no morals? Islam & Christianity are actually crazy. bussta33 8 2713 January 16, 2016 at 3:16 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  Hindu Perspective: Counter to God of Gaps Theory Krishna Jaganath 26 5654 November 19, 2015 at 6:49 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  So here's my theory RobBlaze 28 8908 August 12, 2015 at 4:10 am
Last Post: robvalue
Video Dr Zakir Naik Vs the Theory of Evolution Mental Outlaw 4 2461 July 23, 2015 at 10:27 pm
Last Post: Mental Outlaw
  my new theory about christians Jextin 49 7915 October 4, 2014 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: Lek