Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 4:31 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Route IP subnet?
Question 
Route IP subnet?
Okay, so one thing I really really hate is networking. I hate it so much I've refused to ever learn anything about it.

Anyway my ISP has assigned me a subnet. My regular IP is 121.127.xxx.xxx, and the subnet I've been allocated is 180.xxx.xxx.200/255.255.255.252. Sadly consumer level routers are not capable of doing anything with it (what I have connected at the moment is the ISP-supplied Huawei HG658), so I need to get another VDSL2 modem/router with VoIP that can (or I could always put the Huawei into bridge mode and use a router, but I'd prefer one device where possible). What I want to do, once I can route the IPs, is set up a webserver on 180.xxx.xxx.201.

So here's my question - what modem/router should I buy? And preferentially it should be something I can pick up second-hand.
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
RE: Route IP subnet?
Matey. Pretty sure any router can do what you need.

Just pay the 35 bucks per year with dyndns and you didn't really need to worry about fixed ip's.
But you now have them. That's good.

Are you sure you're not confusing your internal private ip's with the public?
Tell us more.

Eg: most ISP's give dynamic IP addresses. Because I like to login to my cameras at home from my phone anytime, it used to be a pain updating the new IP every time. Hence why dyndns fixes all that.

Whether it's a DVR or webserver or game ports, it doesn't really matter. Nearly every router in the last 5 years has the smarts to do all the proper routing and security for you. It's their job, that's all they do.

Just to confirm, you're not doing anything funky like trying to combine 2 different wans or anything, are you?
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(February 18, 2016 at 9:59 pm)Aractus Wrote: What I want to do, once I can route the IPs, is set up a webserver on 180.xxx.xxx.201.

So here's my question - what modem/router should I buy? And preferentially it should be something I can pick up second-hand.

I'm not a routing whiz, but I don't think .201 is on your subnet.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Why are you fiddling with subnet if all you want is to setup an webserver? Well I guess if you want something restricted only within your lan it might make sense, but still there are better ways. And if you want a public facing webserver you are better off with dyndns or no-ip
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

Aoi, I think he thinks his webserver must itself have a live IP address in order to be visible to the outside world.
That's what routers are for. Hence his bunch of fixed live ip addresses.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Okay, again, all I want to know is what hardware should I look at for routing. Not how I can achieve the same thing using some other method. I want to use my assigned IPs, not use "DynDNS". Besides the IP block only costs me A$16/year not USD35/year.

Here they are in my toolbox:

[Image: r67HHqQ.png]
So as you see, I have my primary IP and a subnet of 4 others. I want to set up a web server on 180.xxx.xxx.201. I cannot route the subnet through my current modem/router, thus I need one that will allow me to do what I want.

Probably best that someone with networking experience answer this.
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
You're a pain aren't you!

A bit tricky actually.

Option 1: like you said, Cisco or watchtower used hardware, etc
Option 2: current router in bridge mode to a dedicated sw firewall. Search open source firewall. The best are Linux of course.
Option 3: if these IP addresses are not redirected from your current ISP to start with, it's not gonna happen.
Option 4: use internal addressing with nat and forget the $16.

I'm out of ideas, sorry man.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
I already said these IPs are redirected from my ISP.

ISP Wrote:I have added a block of 4 IP address already , 180.xxx.xxx.200/255.255.255.252.The first IP in the subnet is 180.xxx.xxx.200 and the last IP in the subnet is 180.xxx.xxx.203. The subnet will be routed through your existing gateway IP address. You will be able to assign all IPs to devices on your network, with the first and last IP being reserved for your Network Address and Broadcast address respectively. We have begun advertising these routes and this information should have propagated globally within 24 hours. To make use of the new IPs, a new PPP session must be established; typically rebooting your connection will suffice.

(February 19, 2016 at 1:01 am)ignoramus Wrote: Option 4: use internal addressing with nat and forget the $16.

This.

Seriously, what ISP is still giving out multiple IPv4 addresses to regular customers? Aren't they aware there's a shortage?!? If you have a single static IP address that you use for regular Internet, you can use port forwarding / NAT to send traffic through to a web server in your private network. I do the exact same thing when I want to play Minecraft online with friends.

If you don't have a static IP, you can do the exact same thing (usually) by using dynamic DNS.
That doesn't answer my question. My question is not even how to access the subnet - my question is what hardware should I buy??