Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 11:13 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I just figured why choirs are simultaneously terrible and brilliant.
I just figured why choirs are simultaneously terrible and brilliant.
So, everyone hates uplifting choir music, right? I mean there are very few people whos cringe impulse isn't instantly activated by that shit. It doesn't matter about the subject matter or the occasion, its irritating. I hear "You can't always get what you want" by the Rolling Stones and I turn off that shit in seconds. I can't stand it. But *scary* choir music feels perfect. If theres a film or a musical where some scary shits about to happen a choir works. Anyone see Rob Cantor's "Shia LaBeouf"? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0u4M6vppCI
Now its meant to be a joke obviously but how perfectly does it fit? Think back to every scary film you can think of with choir music you can remember. Was there ever a moment where you didn't think it was appropriate for that moment? I honestly can't think of one.
I'm entertained and intrigued by it when its scary and bored of it when its anything else, do other people find that? Thats mostly universal, right? Why is that?
"That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons even death may die." 
- Abdul Alhazred.
RE: I just figured why choirs are simultaneously terrible and brilliant.
I don't understand what this thread is about, but I liked the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzVBqBosf5w
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]
The ability of choir music to contribute to tone and feel, particularly dread or fear, in this case.  I think that it's a matter of taste and also cultural acclimitization.  Carl Orfs O Fortuna from Carmina Burana is probably burnt into all of our minds.  You don't know him, or the title, but you know the song...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GD3VsesSBsw

...and it's a shortcut to dread in small chunks. The final 10 seconds though, blows all of the anxiety in the composition away. What you might notice, if you have a long memory, is that first and droning portion of this one is used in horror movies..but you never hear the end. In commercials, however, you hear -maybe- 10 seconds of the dread......and they focus on the uplifting finale. Fun fact, this one is part of a work entitled "Songs of Beuern: Secular songs for singers and choruses to be sung together with instruments and magic images"...not what you'd expect, given it's use, eh?

That shows you that our society experiences these songs to such a broad conforming extent that they are practical for terms of entertainment or advertising. The user can -expect- results from their application. It has utility. Thats why they put it in movies, that why they put it in commercials, and that's why they put it in church.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
To me the most brilliant use of choirs in music. In the SMT, there are several independent ones layered on top of or responding to each other

https://youtu.be/jm1os4VzTgA
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Quote:So, everyone hates uplifting choir music, right?

No.

I hate uncomfortable row-like seats (commonly known as pews).

Most choirs I can sleep through if it's uninteresting. What I can't do is enter anything more than a half conscious state in those horrible seats.

Regarding the Barber of Seville, that's my childhood watching Bugs Bunnie right there. Real awesome shit.
Slave to the Patriarchy no more
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfMEtl26G1E
I am John Cena's hip-hop album.
(February 21, 2016 at 2:26 am)Moros Synackaon Wrote: I hate uncomfortable row-like seats (commonly known as pews).

Most choirs I can sleep through if it's uninteresting. What I can't do is enter anything more than a half conscious state in those horrible seats.

Regarding the Barber of Seville, that's my childhood watching Bugs Bunnie right there. Real awesome shit.

Okay - my resistance is notoriously weak to begin with so here.

http://www.funnyjunk.com/movies/3172/Rabbit/

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Morons: Terrible bane or lifeblood of the forum? Angrboda 65 4594 November 18, 2022 at 3:17 am
Last Post: Deesse23
  Have You Ever Had a Brilliant Idea JackRussell 46 14220 July 4, 2017 at 2:19 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Can I Just Say and I'm just being honest (Holiday Edition) Mystical 9 2153 November 25, 2016 at 3:17 pm
Last Post: Divinity
Star List of Terrible Things Shining_Finger 15 3916 September 21, 2015 at 3:02 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  So I just got back my IQ score and diagnosis and I'm sad MusicLovingAtheist 43 18841 September 26, 2014 at 1:41 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Brilliant Spider Rahul 9 1939 July 30, 2013 at 8:36 am
Last Post: Rahul