Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 10:46 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Elementary Particle for Heat?
Elementary Particle for Heat?
I know light is made up of photons. But is there an elementary particle that makes up heat?
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
RE: Elementary Particle for Heat?
I think it would also be the photon. All radiation is heat.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
Heat in the sense physicists use it is nothing but energy that is randomly distributed in a material or collection of particles. If you have a gas, the heat it contains is just the random motions of all of its molecules.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Isn't heat just excited electrons?
As in heating water? Pressure?
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(February 20, 2016 at 6:18 pm)ignoramus Wrote: Isn't heat just excited electrons?

It can be, I guess. In solids, it's mostly vibrations of the atoms, which are of course also communicated by electrons.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

I guess it's like how time doesn't have an elementary particle (that we know of). Time is the emergent result of a process, there isn't a tangible, physical thing that transmits it. Same with heat.

...right? O_o

Alex help.
[Image: rySLj1k.png]

If you have any serious concerns, are being harassed, or just need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me via PM
Erm, Iro, I don't know what "transmitting time" would even mean...? Transmitting heat on the other hand seems to have a pretty straightforward meaning.

photons and their rate of vibrating is what is behind AM radio, TV, FM, XM, radar, diathermy, infrared (heat lamp), visible light, ultraviolet (sun tan), x-rays and gamma rays.

Every thing above absolute zero in temperature radiates photons, the hotter the item is, the shorter the wavelength and the faster the vibration.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(February 20, 2016 at 5:39 pm)Rhondazvous Wrote: I know light is made up of photons. But is there an elementary particle that makes up heat?
Heat is molecules bouncing around and when they come into contact with something else, this movement is transferred causing a loss of heat in one and a gain of heat in the other toward equilibrium.  If a 'hot' object is contained within a vacuum, this motion is also contained and it will remain 'hot', however, it will still lose heat (much slower) due to EMR (electro-magnetic radiation), i.e., photons.
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
(February 20, 2016 at 7:01 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: photons and their rate of vibrating is what is behind AM radio, TV, FM, XM, radar, diathermy, infrared (heat lamp), visible light, ultraviolet (sun tan), x-rays and gamma rays.

Every thing above absolute zero in temperature radiates photons, the hotter the item is, the shorter the wavelength and the faster the vibration.
that would mean that hot waves travel slower than cold ones, since short waves travel slower than long waves. My thinking is that they may travel at the same speed but the shorter waves have a longer way to go because of all the zigzagging.

I think I understand what you guys are saying, that heat is not a substance in itself but rather a phenomenon that occurs when any particle vibrates. That's my understanding. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are Photons the Particle Associatid with the CMB? Rhondazvous 5 1150 September 9, 2017 at 12:34 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Newest super-sensitive test failed to catch a Dark Matter particle. Why? theBorg 40 5946 August 21, 2016 at 2:13 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  First collisions at the LHC with unprecedented Energy! (Ask a particle physisicist) Alex K 385 55228 August 8, 2016 at 5:03 am
  What is Meant by "Charge" for Elementary Particles? Rhondazvous 20 1979 February 10, 2016 at 8:58 pm
  LHC News - New particle found dyresand 0 970 July 14, 2015 at 6:03 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Massless Elementary Particles = Bodies of Mass? Mudhammam 7 1418 October 19, 2014 at 9:59 pm
  Why the Highs Boson can no longer be called the God particle... max-greece 12 2875 May 11, 2014 at 9:30 am
Last Post: max-greece
  Mach–Zehnder interferometer, Particle or Wave? little_monkey 3 1897 May 22, 2013 at 9:18 pm
Last Post: Sal
  Will the LHC find the 'God' Particle? CoxRox 11 4783 August 3, 2012 at 9:22 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Higgs-Boson particle Creed of Heresy 28 12469 July 11, 2012 at 2:23 am
Last Post: AthiestAtheist