Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 4:19 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How exactly does gravity affect time?
How exactly does gravity affect time?
How exactly does gravity affect time? An odd concept that time isn't uniform accross the galaxy..

What exactly is time? Change? So if time is change and the illusion of change is facilitated in very simple terms - movement. I've read that gravity have an effect on movement, like in moon you can jump higher.. So if higher gravity constricts movement ,ie, slows down the illusion of time does that mean the higher the gravity the slower the time? Maybe that's why light cant escape blackholes? Because the gravity is so high that the movement of photons are that much limited?
RE: How exactly does gravity affect time?
Don't confuse the phenomenon of gravity with large masses vs the Einstein space/time distortion phenomenon.
I can hear Alex typing, shaking his head, and laughing as we speak!
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
The stronger the gravity the slower time appears to pass as seen by an external observer.

For yourself in the stronger gravitational field all seems normal, however.

The change in how fast time pass with increasing/decreasing elevation on earth has been experimentally verified.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

I read not long ago that even our GPS sattelites also adjust for this phenomenon.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(February 20, 2016 at 11:59 pm)ignoramus Wrote: I read not long ago that even our GPS sattelites also adjust for this phenomenon.

Yes, their atomic clocks are tuned a bit slower so they don't run away wrt to those on the ground.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(February 20, 2016 at 11:44 pm)pool the great Wrote: How exactly does gravity affect time? An odd concept that time isn't uniform accross the galaxy..

What exactly is time? Change? So if time is change and the illusion of change is facilitated in very simple terms - movement. I've read that gravity have an effect on movement, like in moon you can jump higher.. So if higher gravity constricts movement ,ie, slows down the illusion of time does that mean the higher the gravity the slower the time? Maybe that's why light cant escape blackholes? Because the gravity is so high that the movement of photons are that much limited?

The fact that moving is more arduous in high gravity, and the fact that time is slower, are surely two different things. As vorlon says, if you are there you will not notice this slowing of time, everything seems normal locally. Only when you compare the time passing at your and other places will you notice that more has passed elsewhere. I like to compare it to two hypothetical countries with the same standard and cost of living, but whose currencies have an exchange rate of 1:10. You will be able to afford the same stuff in either, but if you want to buy something from the other, suddenly you realize that there is a difference.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

The whole idea of time being relative is really hard for me to grasp. Even when I see the theory and the maths laid out, part of my brain still shouts, "Yeah, but bollocks!"

I've tried thinking more of time as a fourth dimension rather than a simple parameter. That has helped a bit.

I'm wondering if time is defined in terms of the rate of change of distance with respect to speed; rather than the more usual formulation. Does that make any sense.... or help?
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(February 21, 2016 at 4:53 am)robvalue Wrote: The whole idea of time being relative is really hard for me to grasp. Even when I see the theory and the maths laid out, part of my brain still shouts, "Yeah, but bollocks!"

I've tried thinking more of time as a fourth dimension rather than a simple parameter. That has helped a bit.

I'm wondering if time is defined in terms of the rate of change of distance with respect to speed; rather than the more usual formulation. Does that make any sense.... or help?

Here's something that should amuse you: in particle physics and gravitation, one usually defines the speed of light as c=1. This means that time is defined as the distance in the fourth dimension which is measured in the same units as distance in space. It's like using (light)years as a distance measure.

Wow!

I'll have to give that one some time to sink in! I love learning things from you Smile One day I'll have to try and get a handle on all this stuff.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Since we're on a tangent, here's another silly one for you Alex.
Whatever Dark energy/Dark Matter is, it's always been there. C is a constant.
Would the value of true theoretical value of C change if we discovered it was being restricted by this Dark Matter/Energy.
EG: Is there such a thing as a true void in space?
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Earth's Gravity Hole Bucky Ball 2 571 July 29, 2023 at 1:27 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  How Cn Gravity Affect Light When Light Has No Mass? Rhondazvous 18 1880 March 2, 2018 at 10:51 pm
Last Post: polymath257
  What Does Gravity Have To Do WithThe Expanding Universe? Rhondazvous 42 5956 February 26, 2018 at 8:14 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Defy Gravity! Haipule 43 5384 January 26, 2018 at 6:00 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Space-Time: The Bopdie Twins: If Space is Expanding Isn't Time Expandin Too? Rhondazvous 14 1732 August 2, 2017 at 8:06 am
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  If there's nothing in empty space, then how does it get warped by gravity? EruptedCarcassBloat 31 5565 October 13, 2016 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: Arkilogue
  Does the Law of Conservation of Matter/Energy Disallow Time Travel? Ari Sheffield 52 10685 March 24, 2016 at 5:04 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Is Gravity acting upwards or downwards? ErGingerbreadMandude 64 8603 August 7, 2015 at 5:48 pm
Last Post: ErGingerbreadMandude
  Why is there gravity? urlawyer 77 13074 May 11, 2015 at 2:34 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Does proof of time not exist in science? fr0d0 21 4903 June 23, 2014 at 3:40 am
Last Post: fr0d0