Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 8:11 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Johnny Depp to speak at Reason Rally...
Johnny Depp to speak at Reason Rally...
Not sure what kind of views he has on how to approach religion, but still good to see more high profile people publicly support skepticism. 

http://www.religionnews.com/2016/02/24/j...gathering/
RE: Johnny Depp to speak at Reason Rally...
I'd watch captain Jack Sparrow talk at a Reason Rally. But he's got to wear the suit.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(February 25, 2016 at 9:47 am)Chad32 Wrote: I'd watch captain Jack Sparrow talk at a Reason Rally. But he's got to wear the suit.

and bring the rum.
(February 25, 2016 at 9:42 am)Brian37 Wrote: Not sure what kind of views he has on how to approach religion, but still good to see more high profile people publicly support skepticism. 

In his own words. That's what he said some years back.

Quote:I have faith in my kids. Yeah, I have faith in my kids. And I have, I have faith, you know, as long as you keep moving forward, just keep walking forward things will be alright, I suppose, you know. Faith in terms of religion, I don’t, religion is not my specialty.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(February 25, 2016 at 10:23 am)abaris Wrote:
(February 25, 2016 at 9:42 am)Brian37 Wrote: Not sure what kind of views he has on how to approach religion, but still good to see more high profile people publicly support skepticism. 

In his own words. That's what he said some years back.

Quote:I have faith in my kids. Yeah, I have faith in my kids. And I have, I have faith, you know, as long as you keep moving forward, just keep walking forward things will be alright, I suppose, you know. Faith in terms of religion, I don’t, religion is not my specialty.

That is not what I meant. I mean is he more a PC liberal? I'd lean that way considering he really doesn't cause waves and considering all the children's movies he's done he cant talk like Bill Maher.
(February 25, 2016 at 11:00 am)Brian37 Wrote: That is not what I meant. I mean is he more a PC liberal? I'd lean that way considering he really doesn't cause waves and considering all the children's movies he's done he cant talk like Bill Maher.

He's not a radical, if that's what you mean. But by all accounts he stands on the right side on all major issues. Political as well as social. I hope, you don't call that a PC liberal.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(February 25, 2016 at 11:03 am)abaris Wrote:
(February 25, 2016 at 11:00 am)Brian37 Wrote: That is not what I meant. I mean is he more a PC liberal? I'd lean that way considering he really doesn't cause waves and considering all the children's movies he's done he cant talk like Bill Maher.

He's not a radical, if that's what you mean. But by all accounts he stands on the right side on all major issues. Political as well as social. I hope, you don't call that a PC liberal.

Neither is Bill and neither am I. I really do get tired of people equating being blunt with words like "militant" or "radical". The difference between my bluntness and the narcissistic bombastic bullshit of Trump is that he's simply selling fear and bigotry. I don't see cussing and blasphemy as always being wrong in all cases. 

"Bullshit, the earth is not flat".

Or

"Stop basing your bigotry and violence on a old comic book"

As being the same as 

"Fear them because they are different".

I also hold liberal positions both social and economic. But where I draw the line is when those on the left insist on never offending others. There is a huge difference between bullying, and offending someone because their claim is crappy. Bullying is when you cannot leave a situation. It is not bullying to say "No, bullshit, the Yankees did not win the Superbowl".

My friends on the left certainly have the empathy, I simply don't like the blanket solution of never offending anyone as a tactic to keep the peace. Civility isn't about never offending or getting offended. Civility is how you respond in those situations.
(February 25, 2016 at 11:03 am)abaris Wrote: He's not a radical, if that's what you mean. But by all accounts he stands on the right side on all major issues. Political as well as social. I hope, you don't call that a PC liberal.

Just to clarify, by "right side" above you mean to say "the correct side", not the "conservative, right-wing" sort of "right side", yes?
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Performers Should Speak Up or Not Attend Saudi Music Festival WinterHold 9 588 December 15, 2021 at 5:31 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  [Serious] Johnny Depp and Amber Heard EgoDeath 8 1718 February 15, 2020 at 1:25 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Dicks had a meltdown, for good reason. Brian37 95 5276 October 14, 2019 at 3:31 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Yet Another Reason The Obamas Will Be Missed BrianSoddingBoru4 2 635 January 12, 2017 at 8:53 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Another reason not to call the cops. Minimalist 0 660 June 8, 2016 at 1:58 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Coverage of the Reason Rally on Youtube Brian37 2 610 June 5, 2016 at 2:43 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Going to the Reason Rally? I hate you..... Brian37 3 745 June 4, 2016 at 2:21 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Turkish police disperse pro-secularism rally protesting suggested religious constitut pocaracas 6 1132 May 1, 2016 at 12:19 am
Last Post: dyresand
  Great idea.... "National Day of Reason"....... Brian37 18 2198 April 21, 2016 at 8:30 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  'Merica gets punked by russians: Europeans better learn to speak russian Drich 66 10589 April 19, 2016 at 7:53 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd