Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 19, 2024, 1:58 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your favorite Atheist Theist Debate?
Your favorite Atheist Theist Debate?
What is your favorite debate? I like allot of debates: but this one is among the best (funny).

RE: Your favorite Atheist Theist Debate?
(February 27, 2016 at 5:45 pm)Nuda900 Wrote: What is your favorite debate? I like allot of debates: but this one is among the best (funny).

I tend to like the ones that get my blood boiling, which I realized at some point wasn't great for my health Tongue

I think the one that got me feeling most like a 7/11 hot dog on a spit was the conversation between Richard Dawkins and Wendy Wright. I just wanted to shake him and scream at him to start getting rude!

Here's part one:

Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
Personally I'm not interested in debates at all. Both sides declare their champion to be winner, and both sides feel as if their chapion owned the other participant. Can't say I consider any formal debate of any value. Goes for relligious as well as political issues. It's just an exchange of well known talking points.

What does interest me are discussions. Something where people simply sit together with a host and don't have their prepared notes on every point being made.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Same here....I like the ones that make me kind of mad.....it is like an addiction....Big Grin
What abaris said.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(February 27, 2016 at 6:13 pm)Nuda900 Wrote: Same here....I like the ones that make me kind of mad.....it is like an addiction....Big Grin

I had to learn the distinction between debate and discussion. In my language there's no clearly drawn line between the two of them. At least not in the popular use of the words.

Discussions have the advantage of people having to react on the fly. It tells much more about how the participants really think on certain issues. And they also give some impressions on how educated people are on the matters at hand.
[quote pid='1213935' dateline='1456611556']

I had to learn the distinction between debate and discussion. In my language there's no clearly drawn line between the two of them. At least not in the popular use of the words.

Discussions have the advantage of people having to react on the fly. It tells much more about how the participants really think on certain issues. And they also give some impressions on how educated people are on the matters at hand.
[/quote]

Do you have any good examples? I liked the Kagan Craig "discussion".
(February 27, 2016 at 6:22 pm)Nuda900 Wrote: Do you have any good examples? I liked the Kagan Craig "discussion".

I watched a few with Dawkins, since he's the only prominent atheist I can stand. No, I haven't got any examples, since I stumbled over them when browsing the web. One that's still in my memory, was him, among others, sitting down for a talkshow on some Australian network. His main opponent was some Australian bishop, who later moved on to Rome. But, to tell the truth, I can't even remember the topic being discussed.
(February 27, 2016 at 6:12 pm)abaris Wrote: Personally I'm not interested in debates at all. Both sides declare their champion to be winner, and both sides feel as if their chapion owned the other participant. Can't say I consider any formal debate of any value. Goes for relligious as well as political issues. It's just an exchange of well known talking points.

What does interest me are discussions. Something where people simply sit together with a host and don't have their prepared notes on every point being made.

I have to agree with you.  I used to watch a lot of debates until I realized that they're all the same.  Idiot theists saying stupid things and ignoring reality.  That's not entertaining.  That's frustrating.  I have no interest in being frustrated.  I've got better things to do.
There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide mankind that cannot be achieved as well or better through secular means.
Bitch at my blog! Follow me on Twitter! Subscribe to my YouTube channel!
(February 27, 2016 at 6:12 pm)abaris Wrote: Personally I'm not interested in debates at all. Both sides declare their champion to be winner, and both sides feel as if their chapion owned the other participant. Can't say I consider any formal debate of any value. Goes for relligious as well as political issues. It's just an exchange of well known talking points.

I find them quite useful, actually.

They help me hone my arguments, and detect fallacies in any argument. 

Matt Dilahunty is a great debater. His grasp of logic and ability to find logical flaws in arguments is as good, or better than most of the big name atheists.

That debate in the OP where Sean Carroll plays the vid of Guth refuting everything Billy Craig says, is pretty darn good!

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The fascinating asymmetry of theist-atheist discussion Astreja 5 429 July 22, 2023 at 8:02 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  I'm no longer an anti-theist Duty 27 1933 September 16, 2022 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  I received a letter from a theist, need a good reply Radamand 22 1895 March 22, 2022 at 10:56 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  H.P Lovecraft is my favorite atheist Kinkimoro 12 1584 September 15, 2018 at 5:58 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Why do theist often drop the letter s when referring to atheists? I_am_not_mafia 56 11671 August 23, 2018 at 4:20 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
Tongue Disproving Odin - An Experiment in arguing with a theist with Theist logic Cecelia 983 145650 June 6, 2018 at 2:11 pm
Last Post: Raven Orlock
  Why was Newton a theist? Alexmahone 65 12541 March 24, 2018 at 12:39 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Why America is anti-theist. Goosebump 3 1095 March 1, 2018 at 9:06 am
Last Post: mlmooney89
  Hug a Theist vulcanlogician 31 5501 December 23, 2017 at 1:31 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Your favorite atheists (Fictional or real) NuclearEnergy 48 9167 December 4, 2017 at 2:02 pm
Last Post: Norfolk And Chance