Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 4:52 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hollywood puts out more religious crap.
Hollywood puts out more religious crap.
Now again, YES, from a free speech standpoint, I defend their right to do this. But I also have the right to call it bullshit.

Yet another movie about Jesus, which did not happen in reality. Babies are not born without a second set of DNA nor do they grow up with magic super powers.

"The Young Messiah" will be dumbing down society March 11th. 

If you want to take the time to remind fans of the bible that magic does not exist, here is the link to the movie's twitter page.

https://twitter.com/youngmessiahMOV
RE: Hollywood puts out more religious crap.
Hollywood puts out a lot of shit. Not least of all the GungHo patriotic movies, sponsored by the Pentagon. Goebbels would have been proud of something like that. I guess, a young Messiah can't hurt their rep anymore than it already has been hurt.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(March 4, 2016 at 9:08 am)abaris Wrote: Hollywood puts out a lot of shit. Not least of all the GungHo patriotic movies, sponsored by the Pentagon. Goebbels would have been proud of something like that. I guess, a young Messiah can't hurt their rep anymore than it already has been hurt.

To be fair Hollywood DOES have a good side and fortunately is notoriously liberal on social issues. But no, when it comes to history and religion, unfortunately as pluralistic as they think they are being, it still gets marketed as reality.

Media also put out COSMOS, so while I do think they hurt humanity by selling what amounts to a comforting lie, it is mixed bag when it comes to all media.
Yes, they put out good movies too. But you have to seek them out in the sea of shit.
Shindlers list, Saving Private Ryan, A Patch of Blue, Key Largo, all worthy movies.

If it were not believed to be true I could watch it and appreciate it for the acting, like Harry Potter or Star Wars, but unfortunately ALL religions sell themselves a facts and I simply cannot bring myself to value human gullibility. I can only value their right to make the film.
(March 4, 2016 at 9:29 am)Brian37 Wrote: Shindlers list, Saving Private Ryan, A Patch of Blue, Key Largo, all worthy movies.

Schindler's list, 1993.

Apart from that, you must have watched a different Private Ryan, since apart from the first 20 minutes, it's all flag waving heroism. Guy doesn't give a shit about his grieving mother or his dead brothers. His company is his family now and of course he will go on fighting, since he's your usual cardboard hero to present an ulterior motif.

You should watch some war movies from the early 70ies at some time, to really put things into perspective. From back when Reagan was nothing but a bad dream and society was as opposed to war as it gets.
(March 4, 2016 at 9:34 am)abaris Wrote:
(March 4, 2016 at 9:29 am)Brian37 Wrote: Shindlers list, Saving Private Ryan, A Patch of Blue, Key Largo, all worthy movies.

Schindler's list, 1993.

Apart from that, you must have watched a different Private Ryan, since apart from the first 20 minutes, it's all flag waving heroism. Guy doesn't give a shit about his grieving mother or his dead brothers. His company is his family now and of course he will go on fighting, since he's your usual cardboard hero to present an ulterior motif.

You should watch some war movies from the early 70ies at some time, to really put things into perspective. From back when Reagan was nothing but a bad dream and society was as opposed to war as it gets.

Dude, seriously, whatever script flaws you thought it had, and that is fine, it it was still an important part of history, and as far as the depictions of violence on the beach, it was done extremely well and didn't gloss that part over. In reality, one thing about media, when it comes to REAL war today and even gun violence, we hide that shit far too much.

Now to be fair, regardless of your problem's with the plot, that real event we had no choice to do, and as much as I hate parts of our history in how we have treated minorities, that is one war even I support looking back. And I personally knew a vet, who didn't land on the beaches that day, but saw violent combat in Europe later in the war. That guy was also an atheist. He has since died, but it still was something we needed to do.

Shindlers list also did a even greater job of not sugar coating reality. The one scene that made me cry and scream at the same time was when the female architect told the Nazis they were building something wrong, and they fucking shot her. And the boy getting shot by the camp guard. Now not because they were Jews, but because they were my fellow human beings. 

Yes I do cuss out religion, but not because I hate religious people, I simply hate bad logic. But human rights, yes even if you make a horrible claim as long as that claim isn't leading to violence or oppressive laws, the worst you will get from me is a "bullshit". 

I think what those D-Day soldiers did was extremely important to maintain an open society. And I think what Schindler did represents the best in humanity. But I do agree, Hollywood could do a much better job being accurate and also do less blurring of the lines between entertainment and reality. It is ok to have both of course, but when it comes to our future, the lines should be more clear.
(March 4, 2016 at 9:52 am)Brian37 Wrote: Now to be fair, regardless of your problem's with the plot, that real event we had no choice to do, and as much as I hate parts of our history in how we have treated minorities, that is one war even I support looking back. And I personally knew a vet, who didn't land on the beaches that day, but saw violent combat in Europe later in the war. That guy was also an atheist. He has since died, but it still was something we needed to do.

It's not about having a problem with history. It's how it's presented. Something like John Wayne riding into the sunset. You can present history while staying true to what war actually is - the ultimate horror. Private Ryan did that for about 20 minutes. The rest deteriorated into propaganda aboout doing ones duty.

That's why I said to look up the war films from the early 70ies. Most of them don't sugarcoat any issue. Compare, just to give one example, the US/japanese coproduction Tora, Tora, Tora from 1970 to Pearl Harbor 25 years later.

Schindler's list was a masterpiece which I watched three times on the big screen. There's nothing at all to criticize about that movie, but that's 23 years ago. Hollywood produced a lot of good movies since then, many of them featuring Tom Hanks, who is one of my favorite actors anyway. But it never produced any war movie, or any moving using war as a backdrop, coming even close to what they did in the 70ies, or Schindler's List. The newer ones always transport a rather dubious agenda.
(March 4, 2016 at 9:08 am)abaris Wrote: Hollywood puts out a lot of shit. Not least of all the GungHo patriotic movies, sponsored by the Pentagon. Goebbels would have been proud of something like that. I guess, a young Messiah can't hurt their rep anymore than it already has been hurt.

Sen. Gerald P. Nye would approve of your post.
(March 4, 2016 at 10:11 am)abaris Wrote:
(March 4, 2016 at 9:52 am)Brian37 Wrote: Now to be fair, regardless of your problem's with the plot, that real event we had no choice to do, and as much as I hate parts of our history in how we have treated minorities, that is one war even I support looking back. And I personally knew a vet, who didn't land on the beaches that day, but saw violent combat in Europe later in the war. That guy was also an atheist. He has since died, but it still was something we needed to do.

It's not about having a problem with history. It's how it's presented. Something like John Wayne riding into the sunset. You can present history while staying true to what war actually is - the ultimate horror. Private Ryan did that for about 20 minutes. The rest deteriorated into propaganda aboout doing ones duty.

That's why I said to look up the war films from the early 70ies. Most of them don't sugarcoat any issue. Compare, just to give one example, the US/japanese coproduction Tora, Tora, Tora from 1970 to Pearl Harbor 25 years later.

Schindler's list was a masterpiece which I watched three times on the big screen. There's nothing at all to criticize about that movie, but that's 23 years ago. Hollywood produced a lot of good movies since then, many of them featuring Tom Hanks, who is one of my favorite actors anyway. But it never produced any war movie, or any moving using war as a backdrop, coming even close to what they did in the 70ies, or Schindler's List. The newer ones always transport a rather dubious agenda.

I don't think I was disagreeing with you as much as you think. Yes "the way it was presented" which is why I said you could criticize that aspect of the movie. Could they have done a better job of avoiding those flaws? Certainly, but for me that did not take away the other aspects of it I think they did get right.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why, why do people do crap like this? Brian37 0 180 May 26, 2021 at 9:26 am
Last Post: Brian37
  I didn’t do it out of hate. ... I did it out of love. brewer 2 469 January 10, 2021 at 10:30 am
Last Post: Divinity
  No more contraceptives due to religious objections Foxaèr 6 454 July 9, 2020 at 7:20 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  More religious liberty in Ohio brewer 42 2742 November 21, 2019 at 12:37 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Trump puts Amazon, Alibaba on notice for sale of counterfeit goods Fake Messiah 5 572 April 4, 2019 at 12:05 pm
Last Post: Drich
  The Case For Crap hitting the big screen? Brian37 15 3073 April 6, 2017 at 11:55 am
Last Post: Brian37
  NSA Flynn Puts Iran On Notice A Theist 30 2581 February 3, 2017 at 1:35 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  trump puts head of Breitbart on national security council Anomalocaris 20 3435 January 31, 2017 at 3:59 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  Somebody changes "Hollywood" sign in L.A. to "Hollyweed" Aegon 5 1018 January 10, 2017 at 5:40 am
Last Post: ru21nil
  Fatal shooting at Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood Airport (FLL) c172 45 6022 January 6, 2017 at 11:01 pm
Last Post: Minimalist