Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 5:08 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Project Orion - dreaming about space exploration
Project Orion - dreaming about space exploration
You know I was watching recently video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzZGPCyrpSU
and it REALLY got me daydreaming again about Project Orion type robotic probe. Imagine the fact that people of today know how to build a spaceship that could travel to the other star systems in few decades and yet they don't do it.

I mean this would truly be such an epic adventure humans haven't felt in centuries now, since all Earth is explored and that "little" part that's not explored (mostly under the sea) does not raise people's eyebrows, unless you're a "nerd".
It's called Project Orion because back in 50's & 60's scientists figured out they could make a spaceship that could be propelled by atom bombs which would give that kind of a spaceship real powerful boost that it could travel 10 light years in 100 years or nearest star in 40 years, but it doesn't need to reach other star system for the mission to get exciting. Just our solar system is still one great unknown. Beyond Pluto is Kuiper belt, which has been little bit observed, but beyond that is even greater mystery like Oort cloud which will probably never be observed with telescopes and it's filled with trillions of rocks and what not and this sucker would be very powerful that it could take a really good look at it. Not to mention how gravity of the Sun behaves at such distances, Voyager gave few hints but since it's very faintly powered probe it can mostly tease us.

For more information how mystical our Solar system is you can watch TV documentary series "How the Universe Works" season 4 episode 4 "Edge of the Solar System"

This Project Orion like probe would be big enough to carry nuclear reactors to power it and it needs to if it wants to run for 100 years or more. Not to mention that it would reach Oort cloud in only 15 years! Compare it to Voyager that will be there in 7000 years. And then after exiting our Oort cloud it will enter space between stars or Oort cloud of another star.
Of course once when it gets to another star system it will take pictures of some other planets. Maybe one of those Super Earths which are rocky planets but bigger then Earth and can be closer to star to support life, since they'll probably have stronger magnetosphere and maybe observe life that is truly bizarre.
I mean sure some people will say we'll have more powerful telescopes to observe planets in other systems, but even then what ever we see we can only have knowledge about it comparing it to the planets of SOL. And you know how it is no matter how much you imagine it's not even close to the real thing. For instance ancient Greeks logically deduced that up on North there must be a land where day is so long that Sun never sets and they imagined this almost paradise land they called Hyperborea, but the reality was much different.

=★= So what's needed? ★★☼☼
Well it will probably need international cooperation since it's gonna drop nukes and the price, nobody knows really how big, but I don't think it's gonna be over 200 billion dollars since it's not going to bring human crew. I mean this would be one of the world's wonders, but the one that goes away. The biggest part would be the shield of steel that takes impact from the bombs which will have a diameter around 400 meters or 1300 feet. Atop of that will be the mechanism that poops atom bombs, atop of that the head with the brain and many, many instruments and perhaps little probes that could be launched on the way. Then on top of all another smaller shield for the micro-particles and rocks in space.

=★★= Motivation? ★★★★

Yes this is the real motherfucker, how to talk people in or even bigger problem how to make politicians of many nations cooperate? It reminds me of a nature documentary I watched about gorillas where narrator noted and wondered "Why aren't gorillas making shelters for themselves since they're intelligent enough" and they shows gorilla in the rain holding palm leaf as an umbrella.
Well maybe it's not so impossible as it seems. Certainly if there was discovered Earth like planet in vicinity of 20 ly especially after few more years of Star Wars movies then it would capture people's imagination that they would want to visit it.
http://i.imgur.com/slxMmTT.webm
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
RE: Project Orion - dreaming about space exploration
Freeman Dyson's son published a book on it a few years ago.

If not for the stigma of nukes, we'd have vacation cruises going to Saturn by now.

Funny thing about Orion spaceships, they work better the bigger they get. Scaling them down enough to seem similar to what we have with rockets really messes up their practicality.

The interstellar colonizing version of Orion is pretty spectacular too. 50,000 colonists to a nearby star, and they take enough accouterments to establish a viable colony.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

RE: Project Orion - dreaming about space exploration
Old "bang bang" is a great idea, just makes a mess of the launch pad!

I recommend Larry Niven's "Footfall", great book, the best line is, "it doesn't matter if the first nuke doesn't go off, but if the second one fails you are in trouble!"
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  James Webb Space Telescope pics pocaracas 18 2240 December 8, 2022 at 3:00 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  A Simple Demonstration of Space/Time Relativity Rhondazvous 14 2577 August 26, 2019 at 10:38 pm
Last Post: Vince
  Space Shuttle video site zebo-the-fat 0 509 October 6, 2018 at 1:07 pm
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  No perfect circles in space... Jehanne 42 7212 July 23, 2018 at 7:30 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Trump space force: US to set up sixth military branch zebo-the-fat 47 6958 June 22, 2018 at 10:09 pm
Last Post: AFTT47
  How Do Scientists Know It's Space Expanding Not Galaxies Moving? Rhondazvous 43 9911 August 18, 2017 at 10:53 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Space-Time: The Bopdie Twins: If Space is Expanding Isn't Time Expandin Too? Rhondazvous 14 1733 August 2, 2017 at 8:06 am
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  POLL: Is Space Continuous or Discrete? Severan 4 1853 July 14, 2017 at 8:22 am
Last Post: Iroscato
  What Did Einstein Mean when He Said Space is Curved? Rhondazvous 33 11335 June 16, 2017 at 9:46 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Which space mission would you choose? Fake Messiah 30 2618 March 29, 2017 at 4:59 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris