Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 5:05 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Evidence and causes for doubt
Sometimes theists ask us, "what evidence would you require in order to believe in the existence of God?" It's a good question. Or, maybe it's just a fun question, but either way I like it. I don't suppose I could ever trust any type of personal revelation, because I would have no way of differentiating between a neurobiological mental experience and a "divine" one. I kind of enjoy the idea of scientists proposing some kind of descriptive model of God that eventually graduates into the "theory of God," just like any other scientific discovery. That would be wild. But then, this feels silly to me when I think about it, because if god were discoverable through empirical means, then he'd be a natural phenomenon instead of a supernatural phenomenon. In other words, he would exist, and therefore not be "god." ?.

But, I took the question seriously, and answered it sincerely. So, now I want to ask the theists to ask themselves: what evidence, if any, could rattle your faith, and what would the nature of the evidence have to be? Are you open to the idea that some day there might exist enough scientific evidence to cause doubt in you as an individual? Or, are your beliefs not ever affected by science? If they aren't, could any type of personal experience ever cause you to doubt?

To be clear, I'm not being a wise-ass. Maybe it's a stupid question, but I am genuinely curious. Thanks! ?
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
RE: Evidence and causes for doubt
Recall that when asked a direct question for once in his life Ken Ham was honest.

[Image: Ham-Nye-debate-in-a-nutshell-via-explori...matrix.jpg]
Ray Comfort Wrote:[Image: 400px-Godless_Comfort.jpg]
Sum ergo sum
Fucked is a mind that can't even conceive of a hypothetical scenario.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Wow...both of those are terrifying.
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

(March 7, 2016 at 1:06 pm)robvalue Wrote: Fucked is a mind that can't even conceive of a hypothetical scenario.

Yeah, and the worst part is 147 people "liked" his response!

God has been made too big for his britches. It would be impossible to prove that a being was omniscient or omnipotent.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Especially that fuck-up of a god.
(March 7, 2016 at 1:14 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote:
(March 7, 2016 at 1:06 pm)robvalue Wrote: Fucked is a mind that can't even conceive of a hypothetical scenario.

Yeah, and the worst part is 147 people "liked" his response!

And I'm sure the bulk of the replies he received were "Amen!"

Bunch of fucking lemmings....
"I was thirsty for everything, but blood wasn't my style" - Live, "Voodoo Lady"
William Lane Craig -

"The way in which I know Christianity is true is first and foremost on the basis of the witness of the Holy Spirit in my heart. And this gives me a self-authenticating means of knowing Christianity is true wholly apart from the evidence. And therefore, even if in some historically contingent circumstances the evidence that I have available to me should turn against Christianity, I do not think that this controverts the witness of the Holy Spirit"

Talk about confirmation bias!

Not to mention, an intellectually dishonest debater.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Historical Evidence for the Resurrection of Jesus Christ. Nishant Xavier 38 2370 August 7, 2023 at 10:24 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  When were the Gospels Written? The External and Internal Evidence. Nishant Xavier 62 3095 August 6, 2023 at 10:25 pm
  Veridical NDEs: Evidence/Proof of the Soul and the After-Life? Nishant Xavier 32 1565 August 6, 2023 at 5:36 pm
  Isaiah 53, 700 B.C: Historical Evidence of the Divine Omniscience. Nishant Xavier 91 4539 August 6, 2023 at 2:19 pm
  Conscience and the Moral Argument as Evidence for the Goodness of God. Nishant Xavier 162 7389 July 9, 2023 at 7:53 am
Last Post: Deesse23
  Signature in the Cell: DNA as Evidence for Design, beside Nature's Laws/Fine-Tuning. Nishant Xavier 54 2715 July 8, 2023 at 8:23 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Why the resurrection accounts are not evidence LinuxGal 5 1012 October 29, 2022 at 2:01 pm
  Legal evidence of atheism Interaktive 16 2505 February 9, 2020 at 8:44 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Search for Causes Lek 202 14138 January 9, 2020 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Evidence for Believing Lek 368 49130 November 14, 2019 at 5:39 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII