Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 19, 2024, 5:40 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Theist "You are Evidence" argument.
Theist "You are Evidence" argument.
I always get this one in a debate. I ask them for evidence and they tell me "You are evidence"! How would someone combat this one?
RE: Theist "You are Evidence" argument.
My usual counter to this type of nonsense is to ask what a non-designed universe would be like, or non-designed life forms.

If they produce an answer, ask them how they possibly know this. "Source: my ass"

If they can't produce an answer, which is the most common outcome, then ask them how they determined that you are evidence with nothing to compare you against.

We recognize design by comparison to non-design. If they can't produce any example of non-design, they are simply making an unnecessary assumption that "everything is designed". It is well established that we evolved, in a way that is consistent with no intervening agent. All that is left is abiogenesis, and if they want to yell "it's magic" then leave them to it.

If we were evidence of design (which we are not) it would be a designer who is incompetent, and goes about things in the most laborious manner possible to allow the greatest number of things to go wrong in the process.

All the theist is really saying is "I can't imagine all this coming about without a designer". The argument from personal incredulity. Truth doesn't depend on who can imagine it.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Evidence of what?  Shitty design?  What does that say about their fucking god?
(March 7, 2016 at 3:33 pm)GeneralDog Wrote: I always get this one in a debate. I ask them for evidence and they tell me "You are evidence"! How would someone combat this one?

Why would you try to combat a statement that isn't an argument? You need to ask for elaboration before it can even become one, and then you can combat.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(March 7, 2016 at 3:46 pm)Alex K Wrote:
(March 7, 2016 at 3:33 pm)GeneralDog Wrote: I always get this one in a debate. I ask them for evidence and they tell me "You are evidence"! How would someone combat this one?

Why would you try to combat a statement that isn't an argument? You need to ask for elaboration before it can even become one, and then you can combat.

Usually when I ask for an explanation I get them repeating what they said and asking if they stuttered. :/
(March 7, 2016 at 3:50 pm)GeneralDog Wrote:
(March 7, 2016 at 3:46 pm)Alex K Wrote: Why would you try to combat a statement that isn't an argument? You need to ask for elaboration before it can even become one, and then you can combat.

Usually when I ask for an explanation I get them repeating what they said and asking if they stuttered. :/

I'm with Alex. "You are evidence" is simply the belief without proof. Repeating themselves only demonstrates their limited reasoning ability. Might want to terminate the discussion at that point.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Appendix that exists solely to contract lethal appendicitis. Some design.
I am John Cena's hip-hop album.
Am I...lol?   If that's the case, then I think they're going to be disappointed when they finally meet the god who made me.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(March 7, 2016 at 4:13 pm)ApeNotKillApe Wrote: Appendix that exists solely to contract lethal appendicitis. Some design.

Actually, it turns out that it may have a purpose.

Research performed at Winthrop University-Hospital showed that individuals without an appendix were four times more likely to have a recurrence of Clostridium difficile colitis. The appendix, therefore, may act as a "safe house" for commensal ("good") bacteria. This reservoir of gut flora could then serve to repopulate the digestive system following a bout of dysentery or cholera.
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
Some negligible benefit isn't going to do you much good after it bursts and kills you though, is it?
I am John Cena's hip-hop album.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Historical Evidence for the Resurrection of Jesus Christ. Nishant Xavier 38 2339 August 7, 2023 at 10:24 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  When were the Gospels Written? The External and Internal Evidence. Nishant Xavier 62 2946 August 6, 2023 at 10:25 pm
  Veridical NDEs: Evidence/Proof of the Soul and the After-Life? Nishant Xavier 32 1551 August 6, 2023 at 5:36 pm
  Isaiah 53, 700 B.C: Historical Evidence of the Divine Omniscience. Nishant Xavier 91 4480 August 6, 2023 at 2:19 pm
  The fascinating asymmetry of theist-atheist discussion Astreja 5 429 July 22, 2023 at 8:02 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Conscience and the Moral Argument as Evidence for the Goodness of God. Nishant Xavier 162 7308 July 9, 2023 at 7:53 am
Last Post: Deesse23
  Signature in the Cell: DNA as Evidence for Design, beside Nature's Laws/Fine-Tuning. Nishant Xavier 54 2687 July 8, 2023 at 8:23 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Why the resurrection accounts are not evidence LinuxGal 5 1002 October 29, 2022 at 2:01 pm
  I'm no longer an anti-theist Duty 27 1933 September 16, 2022 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  I received a letter from a theist, need a good reply Radamand 22 1895 March 22, 2022 at 10:56 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide