Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 12:20 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shia Islamic Argument for the existence of God
Shia Islamic Argument for the existence of God
Hello atheists,

I'm a Shia Muslim. The goal for this post is simply to see whether this one argument stands the test of reason. This argument, if valid, would rationalize monotheism (and maybe even pantheistic monotheism, but let's not get ahead of ourselves). To me this argument seems like a death blow to atheism.

All of the traditional arguments for God's existence have been refuted: The Ontological Arguments, The Cosmological Arguments, The Teleological Arguments (Arguments from Design), The Moral Arguments, The Arguments from Justice, The Arguments from Religious Experience, The Arguments from Miracles, The Arguments from Ignorance, The Arguments from Reward, the Arguments from Scripture, the Arguments from Consciousness, and Pascal's Wager; none of these arguments can stand the test of reason. For a brief refutation of each, see [snip] or check out The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins.

Moderator Notice
Link above removed by robvalue. Members should not post external links until they have 30 posts and have been here 30 days. Please see the rules. I have also deleted the duplicate of this thread that was posted.

There is just this one last argument that survives (maybe because of its obscurity). I bet 99.9% of atheists haven't even heard of this argument. Heck, I bet 99.9% of Muslims haven't heard of it either. Most Muslims believe in the religion simply because their parents told them to.

This argument is named "Proof of the Veracious". I will abbreviate it to "POTV" throughout the rest of the post.

I find the POTV to be a valid and sound argument. According to Ayatollah Mahdi Hadavi Tehrani, the POTV is the strongest proof of the existence of Allah in Islam (please note that the purpose of the argument is not to prove the correctness of Islam or any particular religion; it is simply to prove monotheism correct). Ayatollah Jawadi Amuli calls it a “brilliant” argument. The POTV was introduced by Ibn Sina, who says he derived it from the Quran and hadiths. In light of this, I think refuting it would be well worth an atheist’s while (although I do not see how anyone will be able to refute it; it seems valid and sound to me). The argument is explicated on pages 181-190 (the actual syntax starts at page 184) of Ayatollah Jawadi Amuli’s book A Commentary on Theistic Arguments. The book, by the way, is an extremely satisfying read. The author shoots down almost all the traditional arguments for God's existence the way Dawkins did in his The God Delusion. Anyways, below is an excerpt from pages 184-187. I would like to warn you guys not to figure out the meanings of unfamiliar words by using context clues (I made this mistake the first time I read it) and should rather search them up and understand what they mean. The passage uses philosophical terminology (e.g. modality, extension, etc), and I would prefer if people from an educated philosophical background respond. Also, the passage below uses the term "demonstration" instead of "proof" when referring to the argument. And "Allamah Tabatabai" was a recent Shia Islamic scholar who present a more refined version of Ibn Sina'a original proof.

"The point towards which ‛Allāmah Tabātabā’ī draws attention is that the proposition “There is a reality,” and the proposition “Sophistry is void,” have eternal necessity.  That is, the modality of these propositions is not attributive, conditional, or essential necessity.  Acceptance of this claim, like acceptance of reality, needs mere drawing of one’s attention (tanbīh).  In other words, just as the entertainment of the concept of reality is sufficient to acknowledge its truth, the conception of the notion of eternal necessity of reality is sufficient for accepting its validity. A human being cannot accept sophistry in any situation or condition, since situations and conditions are realities, which attest to the invalidity of sophistry, which is the negation of reality.

Should reality be annihilated in a specific condition—in a beginning, or an end, or in any particular supposition—then only two situations are conceivable.  The first is that its annihilation is not real, and an equivocal or false claim has been made that reality is annihilated.  In this case, reality is preserved and it has not been annihilated.  The second is that its annihilation is true; that is, reality has really been annihilated.  In this supposition, again, the affirmation of the basic reality is acknowledged, since the supposition asserts that reality has really been destroyed; therefore, as a real phenomenon, the destruction of reality reflects the real presence of reality.  Therefore, the falsehood of sophistry and veridicality of reality is well secured in every perceivable supposition; and a single instance of reality’s destruction is inconceivable.

A proposition, which negates reality, is a proposition, that neither its veridicality can be related in any supposition, nor its falsehood could ever be doubted.  That is, its utterance always presupposes its own falsity. On the other side of the spectrum, it is impossible to doubt the meaning of the proposition, which affirms reality, because dismissing it as meaningless or doubting its meaning entails the affirmation of reality.

If, like a finite being, reality lacked eternal necessity and its necessity were conditional, say, with the continuance of its existence (al‑dharūra al‑dhātiyya), sophism would have had veridicality in the realm of reality’s destruction.  Nevertheless, the veridicality of sophistry is a reality, which has its own specific nafs al-amr.

The realm of sophistry’s veridicality is not the abode of the narrator’s existence, in which case its veridicality would pertain to the reality of the narrator.  Rather, its realm of truth is that very supposition, which the proposition reflects.  When, in a given supposition, reality is negated, real negation of philosophy and real affirmation of sophistry is a reality that has been narrated.  Thus, reality is still manifested in the context of its very negation.  For this reason, reality cannot be denied in any supposition; and the primary and self-evident proposition (al-qadhiyya al-awwaliyya al-badīhiyya), which holds its truth, has eternal necessity.

Since the truth of the propositions, which relate reality of finite and conditional beings, is subject to certain conditions, and it is only within certain boundaries that they are true, beyond which they are false, finite and conditional beings cannot be the extension (misdāq) of the reality that has eternal necessity.

Given that the aggregate of finite beings is not another entity, which has something additional to its parts, it does not have any reality at all.  Similarly, their universals (jāmi) do not have any external reality either, and they are notions that exist in the mind by the mental mode of existence (al-wujūd al-dhehnī) in such a way that if the mind did not to exist, the universals would not even have found the mental existence.  Therefore, reality, the eternally necessary existence of which is axiomatic and primary, is other than the finite beings, their totality, and their universals, as the first have finite realities, the second has no reality, and the third has a limited mental reality.

Therefore, the first ontological proposition, which the human being cannot not know, is the affirmation of the basic reality, and its modality is eternal necessity.  And since, as just explained, finite entities, such as the heavens, the earth, the cosmos, and so forth, cannot be the extension of this proposition, its extension is only an Absolute Reality—Who is above the restrictions of conditions, is present with all of the finite realities, and no absence or termination is perceivable with respect to Him.

The demonstration of the veracious, with this exposition, sidesteps the criticism of failure of differentiation between notion and extension.  This argument is not based on the notion of reality and its necessity of predication to itself by predication as essence.  The argument, in fact, proceeds from the first ontological proposition, which encompasses affirmation of the basic reality and rejection of sophistry.  The affirmation of reality is not based on its notion, which is held in the mind; it is with respect to external factuality.  If it were on the basis of its notion and by predication as essence (al‑haml al‑awwalī), then just as reality is reality, sophism is sophism.  Therefore, the invalidation of sophism, and consequently, the truth of the basic reality, is with respect to the external world and predication as extension (al‑haml al‑shā’ye)."

The author says that this proof establishes the existence of an entity that is eternally necessary  (i.e. it can never not exist) and that this entity is other than the finite beings, their totality, or their universals. This entity is, in his words, "absolute." The author finishes his explication on page 189 by adding that "in the light of absoluteness and infinity of the Real, His other attributes such as unity, knowledge, and the like, are traced one after the other." It would've been nicer if the author went further and elaborated the logical steps in tracing some of the mentioned attributes. Luckily for us, Ibn Sina had attempted this job centuries earlier. Although Ibn Sina may have intended to write these attribute tracings to follow his arguments from contingencies (and not necessarily as entailments from the POTV), we can still use the tracings because some of them are based on the mere necessity of a necessary existent. I found many of these tracings in chapter 9 of the book Interpreting Avicenna: Critical Essays, edited by Peter Anderson (Google Books link: https://books.google.com/books?id=YyggAwAAQBAJ&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false)The POTV, coupled with some of the attribute tracings that I found sound, proves the existence of an entity that is necessary, eternal, self-subsisting, independent, primary, absolute/infinite, unrestricted, unique, one-and-only, omnipresent, immaterial, formless, ineffable, uncaused, doesn't have any rivals, and has all things else depending on it for their existence (the last attribute seems valid only if the principle of causality for contingents is taken as a premise).

My atheist friend asked me if I could also prove that this entity is conscious. So although the following argument is not part of the POTV or Ibn Sina's entailments, I would really like it if you guys could critique it:

"Whether or not the entity is conscious may depend on your outlook. If you think that ignorance and unconsciousness are restrictions or limits, then the entity can be considered knowledgeable and conscious (because the entity cannot have restrictions or limits).

Or you could say this:

Since the entity is absolute/infinite, nothing limits it, and it cannot have any lacks; it must possess all and every degree of existence. Consciousness is a degree/aspect of existence (a rock that is conscious has more existence than an unconscious rock), and since the entity cannot lack anything, it must possess infinite consciousness. The same can be said for knowledge."

My atheist buddy responded by saying "Does a rock that has sexual desire have more existence than a normal rock?" I responded "I see where you're going with this. You're trying to say that the entity possesses infinite sexual desire. Although that is technically true, the entity is much more than just that. It has ALL perfections and/or forms of existence." He then asked "You said that it must possess every degree of existence. So it would have to be material then." I replied "True. Its existence covers the material realm. It has EVERY "fullness" or "existence"; it is unlimited." And here is where the pantheism stuff is supposed to come in.

That's it. I know there may be more clarifications I might have to make, but let's see where this goes for now. Please respond by critiquing this argument in particular; critique its form, structure, validity, and soundness. Don't sidetrack or rant about religion or whatever other crap you guys like to enjoy spewing around. Focus.
RE: Shia Islamic Argument for the existence of God
Could you sum it up in a pithy sentence? Walls of text make my eyes hurt.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

@TheMuslim

Can you briefly state which properties this proof shows the proven god to have?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

1. Brevity is the soul of wit.

Moderator Notice
OP, you are not able or authorized to dictate who can and cannot post in your thread, nor can you insist that people post in a 'certain way'. I understand you want people to 'focus' as you put it on your OP and respond in kind, but unfortunately we do not stipulate what or how people post unless they contravene our rules or the nature of the topic intended (eg. Posting about how much they love ice cream in a conversation about political ethics). So I have to ask you to not do that.

Thanks.

Pandæmonium
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
This is what I summarize it to be but I maybe wrong:

Existence is necessary because there is no possibility of non-existence (argues why - briefly, even trying to deny it you affirm it (argues why))
We and things in universe exists, but aren't necessary existence, since it's possible individually each thing won't exist, while that would negate the premise then non-existence is impossible.
The only existence that can be necessary is absolute existence, in the sense it unites all existing qualities of life and excels all possible levels of it. This specially since all existing beings and possibilities of existence are possible through it.  Negating the possibilities are illogical while denying the necessary existence by which things become possible is also illogical.
(March 12, 2016 at 8:07 am)Pandæmonium Wrote: 1. Brevity is the soul of wit.

I agree with this 100% and have told this to many of my friends. However, I was just being extra careful not to miss anything and minimize room for confusion. I'll try summarizing it below, but be warned this might come off as different from the actual proof (that is a risk we have to take for brevity's sake).

Basically we start with the primary proposition of human knowledge: "There is a reality." Reality cannot be annihilated in any condition - because even if everything is nonexistent or is an illusion, the fact that everything is nonexistent or is an illusion is itself a reality. Therefore this proposition ("There is a reality") has eternal necessity. That is, the modality of this proposition is not attributive necessity, conditional necessity, or essential necessity. Since the truth of the propositions. that relate the realities of finite and conditional beings, is subject to certain conditions, and it's only within certain boundaries that they are true, finite and conditional beings cannot be the extension of the reality that has eternal necessity (the reality mentioned in this proposition). Given that the aggregate of finite beings is not another entity, which has something additional to its parts, it does not have any reality at all.  Similarly, their universals (jāmi‛) do not have any external reality either, and they are notions that exist in the mind by the mental mode of existence (al-wujūd al-dhehnī) in such a way that if the mind did not exist, the universals would not even have found the mental existence.  Therefore, the reality, the eternally necessary existence of which is axiomatic and primary, is other than the finite beings, their totality, and their universals, as the first have finite realities, the second has no reality, and the third has a limited mental reality. Therefore, the first ontological proposition, which the human being cannot not know, is the affirmation of the basic reality, and its modality is eternal necessity.  And since, as just explained, finite entities, such as the heavens, the earth, the cosmos, and so forth, cannot be the extension of this proposition, its extension is only an Absolute Reality—Who is above the restrictions of conditions, is present with all of the finite realities, and no absence or termination is perceivable with respect to Him.

So the argument proves the existence of a Necessary Existent that cannot be finite. One mistake that I and one of my atheist friends made was that we tried to understand or visualize the "reality" talked about in the proposition - without even analyzing its extensions as the argument does right after. One you realize what extensions are possible for this reality, you'll see why trying to understand or visualize it would be impossible.

To trace some more divine attributes I sought help from Ibn Sina (Avicenna) from chapter 9 of the book Interpreting Avicenna: Critical Essays edited by Peter Anderson.

Quote:Can you briefly state which properties this proof shows the proven god to have?

The POTV (Proof of the Veracious), coupled with some of the sound attribute tracings that I got from Ibn Sina, proves the existence of an entity that is necessary, eternal, self-subsisting, independent, primary, absolute/infinite, unrestricted, unique, one-and-only, omnipresent, immaterial, formless, ineffable, uncaused, doesn't have any rivals, and has all things else depending on it for their existence (the last attribute seems valid only if the principle of causality for contingents is taken as a premise).

To prove the entity's consciousness, I personally came up with the following argument: "Whether or not the entity is conscious may depend on your outlook. If you think that ignorance and unconsciousness are restrictions or limits, then the entity can be considered knowledgeable and conscious (because the entity cannot have restrictions or limits). Or you could say this: Since the entity is absolute/infinite, nothing limits it, and it cannot have any lacks; it must possess all and every degree of existence. Consciousness is a degree/aspect of existence (a rock that is conscious has more existence than an unconscious rock), and since the entity cannot lack anything, it must possess infinite consciousness. The same can be said for knowledge."  One of my atheist friends tried refuting this and you can read our conversation in my original post.
1. Agree that "Brevity is the soul of wit".
2. Post a wall of text in agreement.
3. ????
4. Profit!
(March 12, 2016 at 8:47 am)TheMuslim Wrote:
(March 12, 2016 at 8:07 am)Pandæmonium Wrote: 1. Brevity is the soul of wit.

I agree with this 100% and have told this to many of my friends. However, I was just being extra careful not to miss anything and minimize room for confusion. I'll try summarizing it below, but be warned this might come off as different from the actual proof (that is a risk we have to take for brevity's sake).

Basically we start with the primary proposition of human knowledge: "There is a reality." Reality cannot be annihilated in any condition - because even if everything is nonexistent or is an illusion, the fact that everything is nonexistent or is an illusion is itself a reality. Therefore this proposition ("There is a reality") has eternal necessity. That is, the modality of this proposition is not attributive necessity, conditional necessity, or essential necessity. Since the truth of the propositions. that relate the realities of finite and conditional beings, is subject to certain conditions, and it's only within certain boundaries that they are true, finite and conditional beings cannot be the extension of the reality that has eternal necessity (the reality mentioned in this proposition). Given that the aggregate of finite beings is not another entity, which has something additional to its parts, it does not have any reality at all.  Similarly, their universals (jāmi‛) do not have any external reality either, and they are notions that exist in the mind by the mental mode of existence (al-wujūd al-dhehnī) in such a way that if the mind did not exist, the universals would not even have found the mental existence.  Therefore, the reality, the eternally necessary existence of which is axiomatic and primary, is other than the finite beings, their totality, and their universals, as the first have finite realities, the second has no reality, and the third has a limited mental reality. Therefore, the first ontological proposition, which the human being cannot not know, is the affirmation of the basic reality, and its modality is eternal necessity.  And since, as just explained, finite entities, such as the heavens, the earth, the cosmos, and so forth, cannot be the extension of this proposition, its extension is only an Absolute Reality—Who is above the restrictions of conditions, is present with all of the finite realities, and no absence or termination is perceivable with respect to Him.

So the argument proves the existence of a Necessary Existent that cannot be finite. One mistake that I and one of my atheist friends made was that we tried to understand or visualize the "reality" talked about in the proposition - without even analyzing its extensions as the argument does right after. One you realize what extensions are possible for this reality, you'll see why trying to understand or visualize it would be impossible.

To trace some more divine attributes I sought help from Ibn Sina (Avicenna) from chapter 9 of the book Interpreting Avicenna: Critical Essays edited by Peter Anderson.

Quote:Can you briefly state which properties this proof shows the proven god to have?

The POTV (Proof of the Veracious), coupled with some of the sound attribute tracings that I got from Ibn Sina, proves the existence of an entity that is necessary, eternal, self-subsisting, independent, primary, absolute/infinite, unrestricted, unique, one-and-only, omnipresent, immaterial, formless, ineffable, uncaused, doesn't have any rivals, and has all things else depending on it for their existence (the last attribute seems valid only if the principle of causality for contingents is taken as a premise).

To prove the entity's consciousness, I personally came up with the following argument: "Whether or not the entity is conscious may depend on your outlook. If you think that ignorance and unconsciousness are restrictions or limits, then the entity can be considered knowledgeable and conscious (because the entity cannot have restrictions or limits). Or you could say this: Since the entity is absolute/infinite, nothing limits it, and it cannot have any lacks; it must possess all and every degree of existence. Consciousness is a degree/aspect of existence (a rock that is conscious has more existence than an unconscious rock), and since the entity cannot lack anything, it must possess infinite consciousness. The same can be said for knowledge."  One of my atheist friends tried refuting this and you can read our conversation in my original post.

LOL
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Why should I care if there is a god?
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
[Image: 10ppm4.jpg]
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Proving the Existence of a First Cause Muhammad Rizvi 3 765 June 23, 2023 at 5:50 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  The existence of God smithd 314 19239 November 23, 2022 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Veridican Argument for the Existence of God The Veridican 14 1665 January 16, 2022 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: brewer
  A 'proof' of God's existence - free will mrj 54 6264 August 9, 2020 at 10:25 am
Last Post: Sal
  Best arguments for or against God's existence mcc1789 22 2746 May 22, 2019 at 9:16 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Argument Against God's Existence From God's Imperfect Choice Edwardo Piet 53 7977 June 4, 2018 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Objective Moral Values Argument AGAINST The Existence Of God Edwardo Piet 58 13683 May 2, 2018 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Berkeley's argument for the existence of God FlatAssembler 130 13046 April 1, 2018 at 12:51 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Arguments for God's Existence from Contingency datc 386 42318 December 1, 2017 at 2:07 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  A good argument for God's existence (long but worth it) Mystic 179 32618 October 26, 2017 at 1:51 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0