Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 8:25 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The main reason I'm an atheist
The main reason I'm an atheist
-- Is the mind-boggling size of our known universe.  
I just saw a great video that demonstrates the actual distances within our own solar system in layperson's terms.  It's on Science.Mic if you're interested: 
Mark Rober - Size of the Solar System

In the video, Rober also briefly talks about the Hubble Deep Field images.  (Described by Bryan Braun as "The Most Important Image Ever Taken".) http://www.bryanbraun.com/2011/01/23/the...ever-taken "There are an estimated 10,000 galaxies shown in the image. Each galaxy contains millions of stars. All this was found in a dark spot in the sky behind the eye of a needle. That's equal to roughly one thirteen-millionth of the total area of the sky."

For me, just the distance between the Earth and Saturn is too far to imagine.  (746 million miles/1.2 billion kilometers at the closest point.  Earth: Circumference: 24,901 mi / Distance from Sun: 92.96 million miles)  From Saturn, the Earth is, as Carl Sagan put it, a "pale blue dot".  And yet, people are still killing each other over which middle eastern tribe, squatting on an 8000 square mile plot of arid land, has the right imaginary friend. 

Forget the concept of a being that created the universe, or even the solar system for a moment. Shrink the "god concept" down to a being capable of LOCATING this pale blue dot, and deciding to start or seed LIFE on it. This being would be so far beyond our comprehension - - an intelligence gap greater than human vs. a paramecium.  But most people's concept of god is of a sky-daddy who knows every thought, hears every prayer, and cares about every action. They also believe sky-daddy wants every human to believe (but can't convince 8 billion humans what they're supposed to call him) and will punish them for eternity if they choose the wrong name. Facepalm
[Image: c9d74d2e4de28209ca7ed1b770b93689.jpg]
"The family that prays together...is brainwashing their children."- Albert Einstein
RE: The main reason I'm an atheist
The sizes and scope of the universe is fatal to the logic of efficiency of a claimed all powerful god. It makes absolutely NO sense at all to stick your favorite product on a speck of dust out in this gigantic sea of hostility where life cannot exist in the majority of the universe, and on top of that, make it impossible to migrate off this rock while insisting we follow this claimed being who gave us all these various books and religions that we end up needlessly murdering each other over. Not only is this alleged "plan" flawed on efficiency alone, there is also no logical way to claim this god is moral in the slightest. At best, if we are to assume for argument's sake only, that such a being existed, we could only be property, toys, lab rats.
Yes Brian, exactly. I once had a Deist tell me that "if there is a god, life on Earth is an experiment. And you can't keep meddling with your experiment. You just set the parameters and then observe the results."  I rather liked that take on things, but even that, when you consider billions and billions of galaxies - - - just doesn't really make sense.
"The family that prays together...is brainwashing their children."- Albert Einstein
(March 18, 2016 at 10:24 am)drfuzzy Wrote: Yes Brian, exactly. I once had a Deist tell me that "if there is a god, life on Earth is an experiment. And you can't keep meddling with your experiment. You just set the parameters and then observe the results."  I rather liked that take on things, but even that, when you consider billions and billions of galaxies - - - just doesn't really make sense.

Deist aren't any better, neither are pantheists, those are simply watered down woo where the gap answer tries to avoid the divisions the old woo does, but it is still a gap answer. It is simply better logic to accept that our gods and religions were not around 4 billion years ago, or 14 billion years ago, and there is no need to gap fill with old religion or even a generic deity. The universe did fine prior to our existence and it will continue on long after we go extinct. We CAN as a species be positive about our ability, IF IF IF, we pull our collective heads out of our asses, we can be positive about finding ways to extend our finite ride. 

There simply is no going back for me while I retain my lucid state, while my marbles are in tact, to go back to believing in sky wizards. I know too much about the size of our universe, to think that our god's or religions we create are important to the universe. It was understandable when humans didn't know any better that they made such bad guesses, but we know better now.
And now consider that there is absolutely no reason to think that the universe stops anywhere near our current horizon. The size of the observable universe is just an accidental limitation. It is almost certainly many orders of magnitude bigger.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(March 18, 2016 at 10:38 am)Alex K Wrote: And now consider that there is absolutely no reason to think that the universe stops anywhere near our current horizon. The size of the observable universe is just an accidental limitation. It is almost certainly many orders of magnitude bigger.

Yep, all 7 billion living now, and all who have lived in the past, and all who will live until our extinction, are a very tiny blip on the cosmic scale in the cosmic time frame.
But, but, but, that means that humans are probably not special, probably not unique, probably not a one off. Most of the people I deal with daily do not have the ability to fathom this concept.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
[Image: 57b.jpg]
Jeez, and I'm the bad guy for telling scary and depressing stories to the kiddies! Lol.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
First I am an atheist because that's what people call you when you don't believe in any gods. (Sometimes they call you something worse.)

Second I don't believe in the xtian god for two reasons. First because I'm told it is something supernatural (and I've yet to find even one object that belonged in that category). Second because the description of that god is just too over the top to be believable.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  It's Darwin Day tomorrow - logic and reason demands merriment! Duty 7 757 February 13, 2022 at 10:21 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  No reason justifies disbelief. Catharsis 468 40692 March 30, 2019 at 6:57 pm
Last Post: fredd bear
  What is your reason for being an atheist? dimitrios10 43 8639 June 6, 2018 at 10:47 am
Last Post: DodosAreDead
  My honest reason for disliking the idea of God purplepurpose 47 6098 December 11, 2016 at 6:50 pm
Last Post: Athena777
  The reason why religious people think we eat babies rado84 59 6704 December 3, 2016 at 2:13 am
Last Post: Amarok
  whats the biggest reason you left christianity? Rextos 40 5310 July 31, 2016 at 6:18 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Reason Rally 2016 The Valkyrie 50 8597 June 8, 2016 at 4:50 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  The Reason Rally BitchinHitchins 4 2592 February 23, 2016 at 5:24 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Psychosis - another reason to be anti-theist watchamadoodle 34 12541 May 9, 2015 at 5:40 am
Last Post: robvalue
  The human male, Reason for all evil? fattychan 7 2421 April 12, 2015 at 11:48 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain