Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 11:50 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shirley Sherrod and the smear campaign of Right Wing "News"
Shirley Sherrod and the smear campaign of Right Wing "News"
Shirley Sherrod worked for the Depertment of Agriculture and was giving a speech on overcoming racism. She told a story about the first time she dealt with a white farmer and said she did not give her the full force of her help. Andrew Breitbart got a hold of the speech and posted a clip from the speech on his blog. Fox news took this story and ran. Media outrage surfaces and the woman is forced to resign from the White House and the NAACP denounces her.

From Breitbart's blog post:
Quote:Context is everything.

In this piece you will see video evidence of racism coming from a federal appointee and NAACP award recipient and in another clip from the same event a perfect rationalization for why the Tea Party needs to exist.

He's right, context is everything and if you watch the FULL speech, Sherrod was actually talking about overcoming racism and how her experience with the white farmer taught her a lesson about race. She said she realized it wasn't about white or black, it was about the poor. And it wasn't, as we're led to believe, a white farmer she worked with at her government job, it was from 24 years ago when she was working for a non-profit. Her father had been murdered due to racism, so this was her story about how she finally overcame that past to help both poor whites and blacks equally, and she actually saved that white farmer from bankruptcy.

On a positive note, the Spooners, the white family Sherrod was talking about in her speech, are speaking out in defense of Sherrod

The NAACP has apologized, and posted the entire speech on their website. Now after all the facts are revealed, Sherrod has received a very public apology and was offered a new job. She has yet to accept it, saying she needs time to think it over.

Now that it's revealed that Sherrod is actually a very gracious woman and was speaking about an experience that helped her overcome racism, the right wing media, including Breitbart, is blaming the liberals for acting so rashly. Breitbart gave a non-apology saying he was sorry the media made it about her, and it was really about the NAACP. The best analogy I heard about it was "It's like an arsonist saying their sorry for the water damage the fire caused". He won't admit he smeared this women using cut up video clips, he won't apologize, and is changing his story to that it was about the crowd cheering in the video at racist remarks, yet if you watch it, they weren't. And the original post was not about that.

This incident reveals are very disturbing part of the media, how right wing media ignites an issue with distorted or completely wrong facts, the liberals react, and then find out later nothing was what it seemed.

Keith Olbermann discussed the issue in a special comment. Meanwhile, Rachel Maddow highlights the common political tactic of making the minority the racists people, of making them seem like the bad guys. She also highlighted the recent ACORN controversy which was removed of federal funding from hidden camera tapes that didn't show the whole story. One man was fired for allegedly discussing ways to bring in illegal 13-year-old prostitutes into the country, despite the fact that he was getting information from them and reported it to the police immediately after. I suggest also watching this video, because despite Maddow's liberal bias, she is big on facts and gets it right.

So what are your thoughts on this incident and the tendency of right wing media to distort facts to fit their bias, resulting in quick, bad, and thoughtless action on the part of the left without getting the full details?

Edit: Brilliant take down by Maddow of Fox News. She shows how they push the story with all their might, demanding Sherrod resign, and then the next day saying "What was the hurry?"
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
RE: Shirley Sherrod and the smear campaign of Right Wing "News"
I think "the left" is silly for not having asked the person for an explanation before firing her and what have you. And even if I disagree with "the right" about most things... I do agree with them when it comes to asking "what was the hurry?". Sleepy
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
(July 24, 2010 at 4:25 am)Saerules Wrote: I think "the left" is silly for not having asked the person for an explanation before firing her and what have you. And even if I disagree with "the right" about most things... I do agree with them when it comes to asking "what was the hurry?". Sleepy

They are not silly. They are cowardly for taking an action without a full blown inquiry.

The right is just partisanly insane, so their actions are not unexpected. But the left is pure cowardice so often that I hate them while often choosing them as the lesser of two evils.

The right often has correct policies, but they often get overshadowed with the pure insanity of their ideologues and religious twats.
After the ACORN thing no one should take ANYTHING which either FOX news or Breitbart say at face value.

That is the lesson to be learned,
(July 24, 2010 at 8:53 pm)Minimalist Wrote: After the ACORN thing no one should take ANYTHING which either FOX news or Breitbart say at face value.

That is the lesson to be learned,

I don't watch the commercial news,nor those tabloid 'current affairs' programmes' fronted by semi literate rednecks. (yup,we have both here, in abundance)

I'm sorry for that lady,but not all surprised. Same kind of thing happens here, but they don't get an apology from our Prime Minister or their jobs back.

TRIVIA. The beginning of Rupert Murdoch's empire was here in Adelaide with a yellow rag which is still printed. Don't read that either. They recently offered me an unconditional 6 weeks free subscription.I told them I'd accept if they paid me to read it.They declined.
No matter the apologetics afterward she blatently made it a 'black and white' thing and made statements about 'his own kind'.

Obvious racism. Not only should she have been removed from her position, but she should be barred from any employment in government public services.

"Oh that's not what I was talking about. I was talking about my struggles to overcome my racism, which I did and I'm all better now! I promise I won't be a racist anymore. Pinky swear!"

Doesn't cut it. Oust and bar the bitch.
I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
...the least christian thing a person can do is to become a christian. ~Chuck
---------------
NO MA'AM
[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]
So according to you people can never get past their own mistakes or prejudices, and they're not allowed to talk about it if they do. Aren't you just a cup of tea?
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
I learned the lesson long ago. Never - not ever - give the right what they want.
I love Maddow Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anti-immigration..does Right wing still fools masses? WinterHold 106 4758 July 16, 2023 at 1:54 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Concert in support of Biden campaign Foxaèr 8 533 October 25, 2020 at 5:07 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  "Activist Judges" and the BS far right..... Brian37 10 655 October 16, 2020 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Shirley I am not kidding.... Brian37 14 790 August 17, 2020 at 11:31 am
Last Post: Rhizomorph13
  Campaign Conundrum onlinebiker 1 291 June 23, 2020 at 7:22 pm
  UK general election - right wing Conservative party wins large majority Duty 30 1514 December 16, 2019 at 6:12 am
Last Post: Duty
  Sherrod Watch Yonadav 15 1312 March 7, 2019 at 5:49 pm
  Explain left and right to me (political terms) Macoleco 27 2186 February 19, 2019 at 11:38 pm
Last Post: LostLocke
  creepy trump campaign ad Cepheus Ace 9 1163 December 22, 2018 at 11:46 pm
Last Post: DodosAreDead
  Incels and THOTs are left wingers, not right wingers. Ismir 24 2206 November 4, 2018 at 8:18 pm
Last Post: LastPoet