Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 9:51 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
State Of The Word Address, OP/ED
State Of The Word Address, OP/ED
I will always keep repeating that there is no such thing as a utopia in an imperfect reality on a diverse planet of 7 billion. None of us can get off this rock in mass to get away from things we don't like. But humanity DOES have a choice in moving forward. We can murder each other needlessly, which solves nothing, or we can face the fact this is the only home all 7 billion of us have.

Now let me clue every Muslim, Jew, Christian, Hindu, Buddhist, Atheist, every economic liberal, and every economic conservative in on something. Money always equals power, in every aspect of life. Money is collected by religion through donations, collection plates and charities. Political parties collect money to compete, and in closed states with closed markets they do it by taxes and power over their investments in the global market. Theocracies like Iran and Saudi Arabia do the same.

This isn't for the fascists or the oppressive states that or despots. This is for the west and everyone in it  of every economic ilk. It is way past time more of the workers of the world and the poor of the world to understand global corporatism has no boarders. The planet already has a dictatorship in the form of a plutocracy. The good thing is that the middle class and the poor of the world outnumber the few uber rich of the world. NO NO NO NO, I am not suggesting more war. But a global awareness that we can tell these few that they do not own the planet and that because they do have the most power they have responsibility not to profits, but to humanity. To make money is fine, but it has to be constructive and forward looking. It has to be about problem solving and about creating more global stability. 

The days of selfishness have to die, not the free market, no, but just the attitude that profits are the only thing that matter. That is short term and selfish thinking. All 7 billion of us depend on the same planet, and need the same things and if we do not take care of this planet and we fight over boarders and ideology, those distractions will shorten our species ride. It is way past time the uber rich of the world stop thinking about themselves.
RE: State Of The Word Address, OP/ED
Noble gestures but I doubt that you will ever change the selfish gene in the ape.

Isn't just part of the instinct to survive! The more nuts you can hoard, the greater the chance of survival.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(March 19, 2016 at 7:41 am)ignoramus Wrote: Noble gestures but I doubt that you will ever change the selfish gene in the ape.

Isn't just part of the instinct to survive!   The more nuts you can hoard, the greater the chance of survival.

There is always a down side to everything in nature. The stars look pretty on a clear sky, but you cant live in space without protection. I think you missed the part where I did say there is no such thing as a utopia. I am not appealing to the selfish in our species, but while sending them a warning, it is morso to the empathy in our species to let them know the good can outweigh the power of greed, but there are certainly enough who have that voice in the west.

No, you wont get rid of all the bad apples in the world, but the fact that the pluralistic west arose out of a far worse tribal antiquity shows that we do have it in us, if we chose. Life will never be perfect, but there is nothing wrong with trying to leave the world better than when you entered it.
We're on the right track.
Our "mind" is starting to overrule our primitive instincts.

But the mind needs to be a developed and free mind, like in the west.
Unfortunately, most minds are still enslaved under theocracies/dictatorships (again, the victims of a few selfish "apes" who have total control).
Maybe, one day in the distant future. (if we don't blow ourselves up first).
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(March 19, 2016 at 8:45 am)ignoramus Wrote: We're on the right track.
Our "mind" is starting to overrule our primitive instincts.

But the mind needs to be a developed and free mind, like in the west.
Unfortunately, most minds are still enslaved under theocracies/dictatorships (again, the victims of a few selfish "apes" who have total control).
Maybe, one day in the distant future. (if we don't blow ourselves up first).

While that is true, the west is still stronger in protecting that progress. I am not going to spend my life saying "fuck it, what is the use". I am dirt poor, and get support from my mom. But that does not mean I don't have a voice or should not use it. I have the internet, and I have a voice. Not everyone has to be a rich liberal, or write a book, or lead a movement or be famous. It does however, require more voices, and that IS possible. 

When people say "fuck it, what is the use", I think about where the atheist voice was in 01, which was virtually non existent, and was far more demonized in the west than it is today. I am amazed at what I see on line now, as compared to 01.

Now, again, this isn't just about atheists, this is about ALL empathetic humans that KNOW climate change and pollution are hurting the planet. It is also about global conflict empathetic people know is needless. Point being, say nothing, you get nothing, say something at least you are trying.
English is a difficult language to write since a lot of words use the same letters.  While the spelling is correct the words have completely different meanings.  

"None of us can get off this rock in mass"...en masse

"we fight over boarders"...borders
"global corporatism has no boarders."

Sloppy writing reduces one's credibility.
(March 19, 2016 at 6:12 pm)Wyrd of Gawd Wrote: English is a difficult language to write since a lot of words use the same letters.  While the spelling is correct the words have completely different meanings.  

"None of us can get off this rock in mass"...en masse

"we fight over boarders"...borders
"global corporatism has no boarders."

Sloppy writing reduces one's credibility.

Dude, I don't get paid a dime for this. I understand what you are saying, and I do try to correct myself more than you think. Believe me, if I had a job and a staff, I'd have the best speller in the world checking my work.
There is no "free market."  As soon as someone starts a "market" some cocksucker will attempt to manipulate it for his own ends.
(March 19, 2016 at 7:42 pm)Minimalist Wrote: There is no "free market."  As soon as someone starts a "market" some cocksucker will attempt to manipulate it for his own ends.

That is with any aspect of life, including political parties and religion.

You cant stop power hungry humans, but you can work to reduce that through anti monopoly concepts. There will always  be power hungry and money hungry assholes. But the good thing is there are also plenty of humans who see through that bullshit and try to counter it.
But they I don't have to worship at the illusory altar of "free markets" either.  Much like jesus, allah and the rest of the bullshit, I don't worship what does not exist.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ayn Rand blamed for current state of America Foxaèr 61 3106 June 24, 2021 at 6:17 pm
Last Post: no one
  Has Mark Samsel Done A Good Job As A Kansas State Representative? BrianSoddingBoru4 11 1091 May 3, 2021 at 10:56 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Separation of Science and State John 6IX Breezy 233 10406 November 19, 2020 at 7:44 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why is Vatican a state? Fake Messiah 13 1291 November 11, 2020 at 9:07 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Satan and Flying Spaghetti Monster Unite for Church-State Separation AFTT47 2 670 September 23, 2019 at 8:29 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  The communist state of Kerela, India Duty 5 845 December 22, 2018 at 11:33 pm
Last Post: DodosAreDead
  State level elections in BAvaria yield ground breaking results Deesse23 0 251 October 15, 2018 at 3:50 am
Last Post: Deesse23
  My Word. How Times Have Changed! Minimalist 8 945 October 6, 2018 at 10:57 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  So Apparently We Have An AG Who Doesn't Think Hawaii Is A State. Minimalist 39 8067 October 1, 2018 at 2:17 pm
Last Post: Losty
  This Is Why We Can't Address Immigration Minimalist 0 305 August 23, 2018 at 2:12 pm
Last Post: Minimalist