Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 4:45 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does the Law of Conservation of Matter/Energy Disallow Time Travel?
Does the Law of Conservation of Matter/Energy Disallow Time Travel?
I was thinking about this recently while talking to one of my friends. I was playing devil's advocate with what he was saying, when all the sudden I realized something-

The law of conservation of mass and energy states that matter/energy can neither be created no destroyed. However, if you were to time travel, either you, or if you don't exist anymore, the particles that made you, would still be there. And so would you. That means there will be more matter in the time you travel back to than there is supposed to be.

I apologize if this is a really stupid topic, or if this has an obvious answer. 
I have not consulted Google yet. I wanted to see some other people's thoughts on this first.
FSM Grin Whoa so apparently a FSM emoji exists... FSM Grin
RE: Does the Law of Conservation of Matter/Energy Disallow Time Travel?
No fate . . . . .

[Image: 300?cb=20120116090655]
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

That's probably why it's impossible?
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
That would appear to be one of the paradoxes that could occur, yeah.

I don't think "time travel" is well-defined enough to be coherent, honestly.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Good question! I agree with rob though, one would probably have to be more specific how the time travel one envisions is supposed to be accomplished, to say something further. If there is e.g. a wormhole connecting two times in the same universe, forgetting about causal paradoxes for a moment, I don't see why they couldn't possibly act as sources and sinks of energy - energy conservation is not to be taken for granted in general relativity - but I haven't done the calculation. It's quite possible that the energy would be borrowed/ reabsorbed from or into the wormhole itself such that it would look more massive once you've gone through to compensate that you're gone, or in the past, gets lighter when you come out.But I'm just guessing.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

In that case, wouldn't the appearent mass of a wormhole foretell the outside observer how much stuff can go through time to come out of it into the observer's time?
(March 20, 2016 at 5:03 am)Anomalocaris Wrote: In that case, wouldn't the appearent mass of a wormhole foretell the outside observer how much stuff can go through time to come out of it into the observer's time?

Yeah, I guess so, but I haven't really thought this through. Would it be a conceptional problem if that were so?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

(March 20, 2016 at 5:19 am)Alex K Wrote:
(March 20, 2016 at 5:03 am)Anomalocaris Wrote: In that case, wouldn't the appearent mass of a wormhole foretell the outside observer how much stuff can go through time to come out of it into the observer's time?

Yeah, I guess so, but I haven't really thought this through. Would it be a conceptional problem if that were so?

If we assume conservation of mass and energy over any span of time means a backward time travel portal wormhole with mass can't just suddenly be caused to appear by the time traveler at his destination time, then the worm hole must predate any potential destination time it can access and have some uncertain origin not tied to the time travel.  Uunless the wormhole is a primordial feature of the universe, this means time travel can't access any arbitrary time, but only times during which the wormhole exists.

Perhaps one could build a wormhole time machine, but the machine can only access times after its own construction. It can't truly allow anyone go back in time to before the machine was built.

It also suggests an observer in the past can observe the preexisting wormhole and know something about where, if not when, a time travel from the far future going back in time would appear in the observer's near future to visit the observer, and alos perhaps put other constraints on what could come through the wormhole into his time, and perhaps add another layer of paradox by using this foreknowledge of future time travel to avoiding his visitor from the future?
@Anomalo

Doesn't opening up and stabilizing a worm hole require negative energy density? Maybe they cancel Smile ... But yes, if one plopped into existence that seems to violate energy conservation either way. Ok, homework for us: how does conservation of energy present itself if there are timelike curves?

(March 19, 2016 at 10:08 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: No fate . . . . .

[Image: 300?cb=20120116090655]

Charlie disagrees...
[Image: lost_charlie.jpg]
Angry

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dark matter vs. MOND LinuxGal 3 540 August 23, 2023 at 8:07 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Is there a law for this? Gawdzilla Sama 11 1094 April 13, 2023 at 8:29 am
Last Post: no one
  Earth’s energy budget is out of balance Jehanne 5 587 August 20, 2021 at 2:09 pm
Last Post: popeyespappy
  Science Nerds: Could Jupiter's Magnetic Field be harvested for energy? vulcanlogician 28 2189 August 7, 2021 at 9:43 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Rethinking Dark Matter/Dark energy.... Brian37 11 2482 January 26, 2018 at 7:50 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  T-violation and conservation laws cosmology 0 503 December 29, 2017 at 12:40 am
Last Post: cosmology
  Space-Time: The Bopdie Twins: If Space is Expanding Isn't Time Expandin Too? Rhondazvous 14 1732 August 2, 2017 at 8:06 am
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Origin of Matter RedSox 50 18582 June 13, 2017 at 10:10 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Past Time Travel: What Paradox? maestroanth 24 4592 February 17, 2017 at 1:02 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Anti-Matter at CERN chimp3 24 3397 December 21, 2016 at 7:12 am
Last Post: I_am_not_mafia