Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 1:10 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How politically correct are you?
How politically correct are you?
How politically correct are you? Do you say "vertically challenged"? Do you avoid saying "black"? Do you think it's ok to make fun minorities, the disabled, et? Do you think that the PC type of thinking that is so common these days is a good or a bad thing? What about the compensation culture?
RE: How politically correct are you?
I just try to use my common sense and I don't go out of the way to be politically correct or anti-politically correct.

I neither encourage nor discourage it.

EvF
I'm the most non-PC person on the planet...and I'm proud of it.
Have you tested everyone on the planet? Shock

EvF
Political correctness is, essentially, politeness. It should be used, of course, but not obsessively. Like EvF, I don't go out of my way to be offensive, but I don't regard a bit of black (if you'll excuse the term) humour, or a few shocking remarks, as a crime deserving of public shunning. As for the latest P.C. terms, I think white left-wing Guardianista types (sorry for the British term, all you Yanks and non-limeys... that's readers of the Guardian newspaper) worry more about what the P.C. term is than minorities themselves do. Mind you, as a white, middle class man myself, I'm probably not in much of a position to comment.
'We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart.' H.L. Mencken

'False religion' is the ultimate tautology.

'It is just like man's vanity and impertinence to call an animal dumb because it is dumb to his dull perceptions.' Mark Twain

'I care not much for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it.' Abraham Lincoln
I agree that, at it's root, political correctness is basically politeness, but I think it goes way too far much of the time. The term 'political correctness' has come to mean more than simply 'politeness'. If I am talking about someone and say that he is a black guy... and someone corrects me with, "You mean African-American"... it makes me groan - or Native American instead of Indian, or Intellectually Challenged instead of Mentally Retarded - it seems like a grab for attention, rather than an appeal for sensitivity, in my opinion.

Political correctness in the U.S. is out of control. Groups seem to rack their brains looking for words that they can suddenly decide are offensive to them, so that they can insist people use another term. It's just silly bullshit most of the time.
Paul -

I'm totally with you on that.
I used to be anti-PC, but then I realized I don't want to be an asshole, and whaddya know, words mean things. So now I suspect I'm far more PC than anyone here, though I do not try to prevent people who want to be assholes from being assholes.
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
It's possible to avoid the latest 'politically correct' terms without being an asshole. There is a difference between using a word like 'Indian' instead of 'Native American' and being intentionally offensive. I'm talking about IRL, obviously. Being an asshole online is easy. Being an asshole in real life is no fun.

I'm not advocating the use of actually offensive words. There are plenty of words I won't say, and some I won't even type... but calling every black person in the country an 'African American' is, at best, inaccurate. How is 'black' offensive?
(July 22, 2010 at 5:55 pm)Tiberius Wrote: I'm the most non-PC person on the planet...and I'm proud of it.
My boss is WAY more unPC than you... and he's serious!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does positive masculinity exist? Men correct the woman. Aroura 52 4468 October 1, 2018 at 10:59 pm
Last Post: DodosAreDead
  The political side that is the "correct" side. Catholic_Lady 34 5501 May 29, 2018 at 12:12 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Q: For US politically acute members. Gawdzilla Sama 7 814 April 25, 2017 at 7:27 am
Last Post: Jeanne
  What does it mean to be a liberal (politically)? Dystopia 26 5522 February 4, 2015 at 7:25 pm
Last Post: ManMachine
  So Ted Cruz Did the Politically Appropriate Thing.... Minimalist 26 5738 February 13, 2014 at 9:38 am
Last Post: EvolutionKills
  The further people politically move from moderacy the more people lie là bạn điên 26 9152 December 30, 2013 at 5:21 pm
Last Post: Snidely Whiplash
  Is it correct to classify Obama as the first black president" kılıç_mehmet 45 16097 February 7, 2012 at 11:26 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
Star Politically Progressive Section reverendjeremiah 26 6594 April 16, 2011 at 4:15 pm
Last Post: reverendjeremiah