Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 5:42 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let's play with the concept of 'Supernatural'
Let's play with the concept of 'Supernatural'
Go to Google and search for the definition of supernatural. You'll get -
Quote:(of a manifestation or event) attributed to some force beyond scientific understanding or the laws of nature.

I'm going to be talking about 'supernatural' in this context.
So let me elaborate, supernatural is referred to as the occurrence of an event that is beyond the scientific understanding.
But come to think of it - nothing is beyond the scientific understanding - everything can be explained using scientific methods - maybe not right now, maybe not tomorrow, maybe not even for the coming thousand years - but eventually science explains everything. So that means since everything can be explained (eventually) There is no such thing as unexplainable - which is what supernatural is. So that means there is no such thing as supernatural.

Wellllllll, I don't particularly believe in that. I don't think everything is under the scope of scientific understanding. Humans can never accomplish absolute knowledge since our universe itself is infinite. So if humans can never accomplish absolute knowledge that means there will always be something that will be unexplained - which supports the notion of a supernatural.

So my question is this, based on what I've talked above, do you or do you not believe in "supernatural"? Purely on a logical level, no religious bling bling.
RE: Let's play with the concept of 'Supernatural'
From the evidence, I believe supernatural to be real

Yes, I'm in a weird mood.
Dying to live, living to die.
I thought I experienced a ghost once. I don't believe in ghosts, but I have no scientific explanation for my experience (not that there isn't one; I just can't think of any). I believe it was an experience beyond MY scope of scientific understanding. I don't know if that qualifies it as "supernatural" by the definition, though. ? It was..."super - what I know to be - natural."
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
Since the beginning of time, and not just recently with this supernatural obsession, there has been a need to explain what one cannot understand.

That is what science is for, to attempt to explain that which we cannot explain.

However, stupid fucking idiots confuse science trying to understand with religion creating a majorly fucked up remedy.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
OP, not. Unexplained does not equal supernatural. It's enough for me to say "I don't know" and leave it at that.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I believe in supernatural like I believe in UFOs.

Any unidentified object in the sky is a UFO, right?

Planets, weather ballons, space junk, etc

Supernatural falls in the same category.
It's when idiots tag it with religious things like miracles, etc, where the word becomes woo.
So basically, I'm happy to use it as a placeholder for an as yet unexplained natural event.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
The only supernatural in which I believe is the television show.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
I'm not sure what to believe. When I was ten years old, we lived in a house rumored to have one of the former owners from decades earlier, found murdered in the living room. Strange things happened in that house that no one could explain. For instance, if a picture is going to fall off a wall, gravity would dictate that the picture actually slide down the wall first, then hitting the floor, not jumping three feet off the wall and landing in the middle of the floor. Well, that's exactly what happened. Other things would happen that I'm quite sure could be attributed to weather (hot and cold): swelling of doors making them stick, same for windows. Still, other things could possibly be explained such as the toilet flushing itself when everyone was downstairs or the faucets turning on and off. We only stayed there for two years, but still, things happened.

I can't say with any certantity that it was a ghost that did those things, but nonetheless, that shit creeped me out.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
At our Coles supermarket, the organic tomatoes are not supernatural, they are labelled ultra natural!

They must be grown outside of space and time and also in another dimension!
That's why they're yummy!
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Well damn. I want some!
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Testing a Hypothesis about the Supernatural Bahana 103 16307 June 18, 2018 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: SteveII
  Let's talk about bias!!! Quick 51 5887 May 14, 2018 at 9:54 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  Let us go back to "cold" hard logic."Time" Mystic 75 11311 November 10, 2017 at 6:29 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Is the idea of self a coherent concept? bennyboy 5 1222 January 1, 2017 at 10:21 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Supernatural isn't a useful concept Rhizomorph13 85 11560 November 12, 2016 at 3:15 am
Last Post: Ignorant
  Let's talk about morality EruptedCarcassBloat 0 693 October 18, 2016 at 9:20 am
Last Post: EruptedCarcassBloat
  Let's Say I Achieve "Meaning." What Do I Do Next? InquiringMind 51 8018 September 25, 2016 at 3:16 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  If a supernatural intelligence did create the universe..... maestroanth 12 2062 April 20, 2016 at 8:36 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  New suppositions about God and the supernatural entities A-g-n-o-s-t-i-c 30 10974 January 20, 2016 at 1:53 pm
Last Post: A-g-n-o-s-t-i-c
  'Success' is an illusionary concept. CapnAwesome 24 4894 December 19, 2015 at 4:36 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet