Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 17, 2024, 10:48 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bookkeeping angst
Bookkeeping angst
Fucking bastards!

When I started this training, I was told that doing these two qualifications would be enough to set myself up as a small business. (AAT level 2 manual and computerised bookkeeping.) Now I've done them, and I'm trying to do this, I'm being told this is a bad idea and I need more qualifications or experience first. Bullcrappers!

I can't remember exactly who I talked to or from where, to begin with. I trusted they knew what they were talking about.

It's been suggested I do some voluntary bookkeeping for a charity or such, which I'm happy to do. It's just there's going to be a lot of overheads (indemnity insurance, money laundering licensing, sage) which were going to make it hard for me to break even initially, even when charging for services. I don't know how I can afford to do it for free.

It looks like I'll have to do this, and/or another qualification. I was hoping I could begin and do some actual stuff. This was all my wife's idea to work from home, around my lack of energy. I'm worried it's scuppered now. But I suppose I have to come to terms with the new situation, and make sensible choices. I'm going to the job centre today to make sure they won't take my benefits away if I start doing a few hours work.

I feel like the goalposts have been moved. Thanks for letting me whine Big Grin
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
RE: Bookkeeping angst
Maybe it would be a good idea to talk to someone who has pursued a roughly similar path to yours to become an independent book keeper, just to be sure you don't miss anything important. I would definitely do the charity work to gain experience as long as you don't run into trouble with your funding agency Smile I've been pausing and at home since last fall because I've been taking care of our newborn daughter, so I know how that can be really bad for overall morale if you don't have some kind of occupation. I managed to stay very busy writing, without that I would probably have gone insane.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Thank you Smile

Yeah, I know a couple of people who might give me a different perspective actually.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
I hope it weren't the guy who was collecting your tuition for the qualification who told you that you could get going for the two quals, or that the person telling you that you can't get going now is wrong.

Fuck 'em, do it anyways!
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
It seems like I can technically do it anyway, but that he said I'd be "out on my own" and wouldn't have support. How honest he was being, and how much he was trying to scare me into more business with the AAT, I'm not sure.

But the ICB told me a similar thing, so I'm more inclined to think I was initially misled by someone selling me the qualification.

Index of my best videos
The only class I have ever flunked was accounting . . . .

Tongue
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Oh Rob, I'm sorry to hear that. Bastards, every one of them!
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Nearly 21 years as a stay at home mom now. Ten more months to go before graduation. Re-entering the working world can be a difficult adjustment. I hope you find answers and that you can at least get started with something. The organization funding you should not penalize you for volunteering a few hours of your time, given that you aren't getting paid for it. Stress the word "volunteering" to them, perhaps?

Lots of hugs and kudos to you for this endeavor your doing.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
Thanks very much guys, you are lovely Smile

The job centre was helpful, and I can in theory do a bit of work without losing my benefits. I'll be discussing all I've found out with my wife when I get home, and we'll work out a plan of action. Maybe a charity would be willing to cover some of my overheads while I do work for them for free, that could work out well for both parties!

I feel like I hit a brick wall earlier today, but I've picked myself up and I'm feeling a little more positive. Getting some more experience and good references will be important anyhow. I did help a charity out before with their books I'm sure they'd give me a good reference. They were very pleased with what I did for them.

Index of my best videos
Well, I'm feeling a lot more positive today. Although it's going to take longer before I might earn some money, I would have needed to build up my portfolio anyway before being able to offer my services to the world at large. Help a charity might work to my advantage, if I can manage the costs, because it won't mess with my benefits. I can earn a small amount without losing them (a very small amount) but if I go over that, I can only keep working and have my benefits for a year before I have to give up one or the other. If I can build up the amount of work I can do without actually earning, I'll be better placed to hopefully not need the benefits after that year.

I feel excited at the prospect! I have to decide whether I'm going to do the level 3 course. It seems like it might be a wise move. It will almost certainly mean scrounging to my parents again as I have no money. They already paid for my previous course. It's a position I hate to be in, especially as our relationship is awful, but I have no other realistic way of getting the money.

Index of my best videos