Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 1:45 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Writing
Exclamation 
Writing
You know for someone who's not too bad at writing I sometimes just can't do what I'd like. I had this written assignment due today at 5. I tried starting on it Tuesday last week. I didn't get very far, in fact by Monday I had written all of 200 words out of 1500. I tried again yesterday and got to 400 words, then I got fed up with the progress, had a few beers and played Dota the rest of the night. I tell myself that I work better under pressure anyway. Well, I set my alarm for 7AM, but as bedtime was 1 I let myself sleep in to 8. Then I watched some TV, had breakfast and coffee.

Now if what I've told you sounds bad so far, it gets worse. The assignment has three separate parts i.e. "write 500 words on this", "500 words on that", "and 500 on this". All separate. And I'd only started on the first two parts before today. So not only did I have 1100 words to go, I still had to research and complete the third part in its entirety.

I pretty much worked on this all god-damned day long from 9-something in the morning to 4:40ish in the afternoon when I submitted the completed assignment. I took a few short breaks, I really can't describe it though. Knowing the deadline forces me to focus on it. I achieved in less than 8 hours today far more than my last week of preparation. It took about 3 to 3½ hours to complete the first two sections, and another 3 hours to complete the 3rd. The remainder of the time was spent on proofing and formatting, and checking all the referencing.

The funny thing is that it was physically exhausting.

Last Semester I wrote a 2000 word essay in two days and got a high distinction. I don't expect to do great with this one, but I certainly don't expect to fail. Knowing the (lack of) critical thinking of my student-colleagues I expect a credit. But who knows.
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
RE: Writing
Mid or feed?
I find that when I can't get down to doing something like that it's because I don't have a clear as to what exactly I have to do.
(March 23, 2016 at 8:42 am)Mathilda Wrote: I find that when I can't get down to doing something like that it's because I don't have a clear as to what exactly I have to do.

Too true!
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Yes exactly!
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Valk's is writing for Disney?? no one 3 360 August 27, 2021 at 6:56 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  In what ways can I improve my writing mechanics? GODZILLA 7 950 May 12, 2019 at 7:26 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  I have decided to stop writing poetry. Brian37 0 288 April 1, 2018 at 11:25 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Books on writing/language? FallentoReason 5 1451 November 13, 2013 at 12:37 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
Rainbow Story writing game Tea Earl Grey Hot 20 4055 December 12, 2012 at 1:33 am
Last Post: Darkstar
  Lyric Writing searchingforanswers 6 1620 October 23, 2011 at 8:26 pm
Last Post: searchingforanswers
  A question about writing/typing. Edwardo Piet 9 2487 February 8, 2010 at 1:54 pm
Last Post: leo-rcc
  Writing Giff 10 4518 April 29, 2009 at 12:06 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet