Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 7:56 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Long before Hitchens/Dawkins/Harris......
Long before Hitchens/Dawkins/Harris......
There was this guy. 

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Baron_d%27Holbach
RE: Long before Hitchens/Dawkins/Harris......
A hero of the revolution.  Things were a lot more dangerous back then.
(March 25, 2016 at 11:54 am)Minimalist Wrote: A hero of the revolution.  Things were a lot more dangerous back then.

Lets put this in proper perspective. ANYONE challenging social norms worldwide now or in the past is going to be seen as a threat to the majority social norms. So while we do share his skepticism, Muslims living in America are minorities, and Christians and gays living in the Middle East are minorities.

Not sure I'd agree however, with his views on economics. My take on him would be that if alive today he'd be more likely to be a Libertarian, and that to me is simply a Republican willing to fuck over minorities too.

But, he certainly took a much bigger risk to his wealth and even safety considering how much more religious society was back then. The church hated him so much they buried him under a church so nobody could eventually build a monument to him. But, the good thing about the survival of his words, is that they didn't destroy them, and not even hiding his body stopped the spread of skepticism.
Long before that, there was Cavarka.  Here's a gem from Hindu tradition.

Quote:There is no other world other than this;
There is no heaven and no hell;
The realm of Shiva and like regions,

are invented by stupid imposters.

another favorite-

Quote:The Sacrifices, the three Vedas, the ascetic's three staves, 

and smearing oneself with ashes—

Brhaspati says these are but means of livelihood 
              for those who have no manliness nor sense.

-the scam has long been known. This particular tradition comes to us from 600bc or so.

I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How long has Humanity been on Planet Earth? MFrancis 19 542 March 13, 2024 at 6:16 am
Last Post: GUBU
  What does Sam Harris mean by saying that religions are failed sciences? FlatAssembler 18 910 January 23, 2024 at 1:32 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Dawkins, Rowling, Sunak et al on Trans Issue and Women's Rights. Nishant Xavier 63 2829 July 15, 2023 at 12:50 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Dawkins loses humanist title Foxaèr 165 5821 June 6, 2021 at 1:45 am
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  Richard Dawkins interviews Saudi Arabian atheist Rana Ahmad AniKoferBo 2 787 July 22, 2020 at 12:40 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  A prayer before dinner Denverguy 48 6415 October 1, 2019 at 10:29 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Ricky Gervais won Dawkins award this year Fake Messiah 13 2246 September 6, 2019 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Dawkins writing kid's version of "The God Delusion" - you mad bro? Foxaèr 35 5486 August 2, 2018 at 9:08 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Before I was born... Jehanne 12 1712 June 26, 2018 at 7:05 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Geoff Robson has a hardon for Dawkins Foxaèr 7 1667 May 10, 2018 at 5:55 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet