Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 9:39 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I have gone to the dark side.
Exclamation 
I used to say they're horrible. And to an extent I know they are, I swore I would never degrade my values to own one. But you know, becoming an atheist has changed me. In ways I would have never dreamed. Now I know what you guys are thinking. I'm not stupid enough to buy a used tampon, right? Planned obsolescence is built into the majority of products we buy. Not all, which is why I'm happy to say that I did not go bobbing for used tampons (aka tablet). All they are anyway is a slightly larger version of my iPhone.

So yes it's true, I've bought my first ever laptop. It's a used Thinkpad 410, and I put a new SSD and battery in it. It's actually amazing that for exactly the same price I paid for this other people pay for a 5 year old piece of shit that's like $600 new. There are many reasons why I went with Lenovo, but one of the most important was to run Linux - and I am happy to say I'm communicating to you guys right now from Ubuntu 12.04. Another is the fact they devalue like nothing else - I mean the retail price of this thing is $2000. And it runs exactly like new with a new battery alone, and better than new with the SSD.

My philosophy is that a Laptop should be a mobile PC. Not a useless device designed just for internet and talk. It should be user serviceable. And that's what I've never liked about laptops. Yes this is maybe 60% user serviceable, but that's just not good enough. What separates this from a PC is I can buy another motherboard and put it in tomorrow. I can buy a floppy drive - there's no floppy drive that will fit this particular "ultrabay" and for that matter you have to buy specific disc drives for it: proper modulation gives you full choice, which is what we have with PC. Hmm maybe I should put a 1080p screen in: nup can't do that. Yes the HDD is fully modular, but that's just one component. If I want to upgrade the graphics in the future I can't because there's no graphics card in this thing, there's a graphics chip literally soldered to the motherboard, and even if someone GAVE ME a free chip to put on I don't have the expertise to desolder and resolder a component like that. So although it runs and behaves itself the same as my PC, it's not a PC and that's why I hate it.

The good thing about it is that it's an ugly motherfucker that people will think is utterly worthless: just like an average PC! And by "ugly" I mean I don't think it is, but given I paid $200 for it obviously other people think it is.
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
RE: I have gone to the dark side.
[Image: LJ4hTdd.png]
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
In my family we're Lonovo only. I use Ubuntu on a Lenovo X220 Tablet Laptop with an SSD. My only complaint is that they gave it such a mediocre resolution.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Thank God you didn't go for an Apple, Aractus!

You know what God does to people who have Apples!
I must not be nasty. I must not be nasty. I must not be nasty. I must not be nasty. I must not be nasty. I must not be nasty. I must not be nasty. I must not be nasty.
Quote: My philosophy is that a Laptop should be a mobile PC. Not a useless device designed just for internet and talk.

Windows 10 is designed to convert your laptop into exactly that.
I use Apple. Made the switch back in 2009 and haven't looked back. Worth every cent as far as I'm concerned.
Welcome to the dark side we have better security
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
I would never touch Apple. Except for used iPhones, but I wouldn't buy a new one because they openly flaunt Australian Consumer Law (there are dozens of examples on Whirlpool). And as I've mentioned before, that goes to show their fucking naivety in doing business in the Australian market. The threads on Whirlpool are a permanent record, they never go away. Back in the day it was Microsoft accused of planned obsolescence due to putting out new versions of Word and Works that produced documents not backwards compatible. And I don't like how similar they've become to Apple with Windows 10, it's really worrying. Windows 10 won't install drivers that are not signed by Microsoft themselves, that's a pretty big concern for developers.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why Inuit Are Dark Skinned ? The Architect Of Fate 6 677 March 26, 2022 at 12:16 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Dark meat vs. light meat Foxaèr 11 790 December 1, 2021 at 12:20 am
Last Post: BrokenQuill92
  Don't underestimate the power of the dork side Foxaèr 17 768 March 7, 2021 at 7:34 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Dark Humour The Architect Of Fate 28 2260 March 3, 2020 at 5:54 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Since I’ve been gone... J a c k 28 3209 August 19, 2018 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  The beauty of dark skin Foxaèr 39 3003 May 30, 2018 at 12:13 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Side effects of total freedom. purplepurpose 18 2030 December 10, 2017 at 12:41 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  Uh-oh, maybe Facebook is finally gone Foxaèr 7 1552 June 16, 2017 at 10:02 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Canada Now Has Money That Glows In The Dark Amarok 11 3661 June 14, 2017 at 1:21 am
Last Post: Jackalope
  The stuff you find on the side of the road... Socratic Meth Head 17 2256 June 3, 2016 at 8:21 am
Last Post: SteelCurtain