Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 11:59 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Islam in Europe: perception and reality
Islam in Europe: perception and reality
http://www.economist.com/blogs/graphicde...y-chart-15
Quote:Europeans regard Islam as more threatening to their national cultures than other faiths (or indeed atheism), according to a 2013 poll by the Bertelsmann Foundation, a non-profit organisation in Germany. Many across the continent see Islam as incompatible with the West. Yet perceptions can easily run ahead of reality. European publics wildly overestimate the proportion of their populations that is Muslim: an Ipsos-Mori poll in 2014 found that on average Belgian respondents thought 29% of their compatriots were Muslim. The actual figure is closer to 6%.
Which is better:
To die with ignorance, or to live with intelligence?

Truth doesn't accommodate to personal opinions.
The choice is yours. 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is God and there is man, it's only a matter of who created whom

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The more questions you ask, the more you realize that disagreement is inevitable, and communication of this disagreement, irrelevant.
RE: Islam in Europe: perception and reality
so only 6% are muslims and can do all that damage and show the true colour of their culture....,and they're still thinking about allowing more of these scums into europe ?!!
let's see what happens when it's 20% and they take over more neighbourhoods.
[Image: eUdzMRc.gif]
So what can the west do?
How do you decide who are the peaceful ones and who are the potential terrorists?

I don't think one can.
Only a multi generational change of thinking may accomplish that.
And by the time that happens, you'll find the women are magically not wearing their stupid slave clothes either.
These are the same women who demand we not dictate to them what they can and can't wear. Go figure.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Interesting.

I agree ignor, blanket policies regarding Muslims will only make things worse. It's also impossible to properly enforce, since someone only need lie about being a Muslim to legally not be one temporarily.

We need to try and encourage proper integration from both sides. Strict adherence to divisive religious dogma is of course going to make this extremely difficult. I would hope that, in the West at least, the fundamentalism gets watered down with each new generation. Unfortunately, the solution really requires them to start cherry picking and ignoring their religion like most Christians do. It does seem they are generally less willing to do this, and the Quran is clearer and less contradictory than the bible.

I am very worried about persecution of women, within Muslims communities in the West. I don't know how much this goes on, and of course it doesn't apply to every Muslim. Far from it. But for those raised in strict families, I imagine escape routes for women would be very difficult, if they even have the confidence to try and haven't been mentally broken down to think they deserve what they get. I have no idea how much this actually goes on, hopefully much less than I would imagine. And again, maybe this will lessen as time goes on.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(March 28, 2016 at 2:55 am)ignoramus Wrote: So what can the west do?
How do you decide who are the peaceful ones and who are the potential terrorists?

I don't think one can.
Only a multi generational change of thinking may accomplish that.
And by the time that happens, you'll find the women are magically not wearing their stupid slave clothes either.
These are the same women who demand we not dictate to them what they can and can't wear. Go figure.
How can you tell the difference between if anyones peaceful or a terrorist?

Should we just ban everyone?
Which is better:
To die with ignorance, or to live with intelligence?

Truth doesn't accommodate to personal opinions.
The choice is yours. 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is God and there is man, it's only a matter of who created whom

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The more questions you ask, the more you realize that disagreement is inevitable, and communication of this disagreement, irrelevant.
(March 28, 2016 at 2:50 am)Marsellus Wallace Wrote: so only 6% are muslims and can do all that damage and show the true colour of their culture....,and they're still thinking about allowing more of these scums into europe ?!!

There's that blanket statement on Europeans and "national culture". I for one consider the above quoted mindset to be the largest threat. Also the "national" part. It's us driving our culture into the shitter. Because of people having irrational fears of a minority and certain politicians feeding on it like vampires. We were there before, some 80 years ago. And since my family belonged to the hated minority back then, I certainly won't stand for a second helping. As long as I can have my say at least.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(March 28, 2016 at 2:50 am)Marsellus Wallace Wrote: so only 6% are muslims and can do all that damage and show the true colour of their culture....,and they're still thinking about allowing more of these scums into europe ?!!

It's hard to respect anyone who generalizes entire swathes of people as "scum" based on their faith. Here, do some math for us real quick-like, okay? How many Muslims currently live in Europe? How many have committed an act of terror?

Divide the latter by the former, and give us the percentage.

By the way, for that 6% to increase to 20%, you'd have to see 70 million Muslims move there. I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon.

(March 28, 2016 at 4:57 am)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:

It's hard to respect anyone who generalizes entire swathes of people as "scum" based on their faith. Here, do some math for us real quick-like, okay? How many Muslims currently live in Europe? How many have committed an act of terror?
soon.

what if their faith tells them to kill you and everybody that is not muslim ? oh, you still won't do that, cuz it's not PC huh
If you lived with muslims your whole life, you'll understand that generalizing is only fair.

(March 28, 2016 at 4:57 am)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:

By the way, for that 6% to increase to 20%, you'd have to see 70 million Muslims move there. I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon.

by their breeding rates, they will reach that number if not more.
[Image: eUdzMRc.gif]
Quote: Europeans regard Islam as more threatening to their national cultures than other faiths (or indeed atheism), according to a 2013 poll by the Bertelsmann Foundation, a non-profit organisation in Germany. Many across the continent see Islam as incompatible with the West.

I wonder why that is?

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRz8vhZHtGSKAeRfznIWRA...duq1F4t88Q]
(March 29, 2016 at 12:46 am)Marsellus Wallace Wrote: what if their faith tells them to kill you and everybody that is not muslim ? oh, you still won't do that, cuz it's not PC huh
If you lived with muslims your whole life, you'll understand that generalizing is only fair.

Not, it's not about PC for me, asshole. You should only impute motives to people you know.

I've lived in two Muslim nations -- Iran and Saudi Arabia -- for a total of five years. While that isn't the lifetime you're demanding, I feel that it's plenty of experience upon which to base my opinion.

(March 29, 2016 at 12:46 am)Marsellus Wallace Wrote: by their breeding rates, they will reach that number if not more.

I asked you for numbers about terrorist individuals versus total Muslim population in the EU. Why are you not providing them?

And since you've added this birthrate claim, please support it with numbers, too. Remember, it won't be enough to show a higher birthrate. Show a birthrate curve, when you think it will reach 20%, and while you're at it, make sure you take into account the correlation between poverty (and wealth) on birthrates.

When you reply to this post, bring hard numbers. I'm not interested in your personal biases or anecdotes. I want facts. Bring 'em.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Jesus and Mary, In Catholicism and Islam Ahriman 32 1792 August 25, 2021 at 7:21 am
Last Post: Ahriman
  One cool thing about Christianity and Islam Edge92 55 3317 June 4, 2021 at 9:31 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  My decoversion and back to Islam. Mystic 34 4179 October 18, 2018 at 11:41 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Why is Christianity and Islam so widely practiced? NuclearEnergy 12 2393 November 20, 2017 at 12:32 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Why doesn't hell in Islam and Christianity have Cold as torture? Spixri 33 9183 April 7, 2017 at 10:05 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  17 y/o YouTuber faces years in jail for insulting Islam and Christianity wolf39us 38 7778 June 2, 2016 at 1:55 am
Last Post: Aractus
  Why do atheists and liberals like Islam? scoobysnack 122 20419 April 4, 2016 at 6:12 pm
Last Post: Losty
  What right and left get wrong on Islam..... Brian37 0 1113 March 11, 2016 at 8:21 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Islam, the middle east, and how arabs are a broken people. shapb 26 5694 December 27, 2014 at 11:23 am
Last Post: Spooky
  God in Christianity and Islam parakletos 24 6540 November 12, 2014 at 3:19 pm
Last Post: parakletos