Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 11:48 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some facts about our universe
Some facts about our universe
How many stars (or planets) are there in our universe? There are more stars than grains of sand on the Earth right? Apparently that's wrong...there are just eleven stars.

Quran 12:4 (Abdullah Yusuf Ali) Behold! Joseph said to his father: "O my father! I did see eleven stars and the sun and the moon: I saw them prostrate themselves to me!"

However Marmaduke Pikthal translates it as eleven planets: When Joseph said unto his father: O my father! Lo! I saw in a dream eleven planets and the sun and the moon, I saw them prostrating themselves unto me.

What is the universe made of?
Quran 41:10-11
Quran 41:10 He set on the (earth), mountains standing firm, high above it, and bestowed blessings on the earth, and measure therein all things to give them nourishment in due proportion, in four Days, in accordance with (the needs of) those who seek (Sustenance). (Quran 41:11) Moreover He comprehended in His design the sky, and it had been (as) smoke: He said to it and to the earth: "Come ye together, willingly or unwillingly." They said: "We do come (together), in willing obedience."

Says nothing about super fluids (in reference to Quran 11:7). The sky is made of smoke apparently. That's confusing. I could have sworn most of our universe was empty space, not smoke.
Quran 11:7 He it is Who created the heavens and the earth in six Days - and His Throne was over the waters - that He might try you, which of you is best in conduct. But if thou wert to say to them, "Ye shall indeed be raised up after death", the Unbelievers would be sure to say, "This is nothing but obvious sorcery!"

By the way, isn't Quran 11:7 about the Earth rather than our universe? And the thing about water is taken from the Bible? Genesis 1:1-2 "1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. 2 Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters."

What is the shape of the Earth? I can attach a camera to a helium balloon (with a parachute of course) and send it into space to verify the shape of the Earth. However, my recording would be deceiving me according to the Quran.  

Quran 71:19 And Allah has made the earth for you as a carpet (spread out),

Quran 51:48 And We have spread out the (spacious) earth: How excellently We do spread out!

Quran 15:19 And the earth We have spread out (like a carpet); set thereon mountains firm and immovable; and produced therein all kinds of things in due balance.

Quran 20:53 He Who has, made for you the earth like a carpet spread out; has enabled you to go about therein by roads (and channels); and has sent down water from the sky." With it have We produced diverse pairs of plants each separate from the others.

RE: Some facts about our universe
Guess what?

Never mind, it will discover you.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
It seems that Joseph thought that he was a god who was worthy of being worshiped.
You're just taking it out of context Wink
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
RE: Some facts about our universes
I think you're imposing your own atheistic cynical Nazi agenda by insisting that the words say what they say. What if they don't say what they say? God is mysterious after all. Obviously, if the words look like utter bollocks, we're not reading them right. So we should replace them with words that make sense, while still crediting God or whatever nobrash wrote all this stuff.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
"With it have We produced diverse pairs of plants each separate from the others"

WTF does this mean? I don't recall any triffids walking as pairs onto the ark?
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Which came first, the carpet or the egg?
N.B. The Nazis worked with the Brotherhood, who spied for Hitler in Egypt. Adolf Hitter was a friend of Hassan al-Banna,if I remember rightly, and he gave the Brotherhood money. But I'll still be accused of having that agenda anyway I'm sure.

Something I need to investigate: Which came first, the carpet or the egg? The Quran also says the Earth is egg shaped so I'm wondering if Muhammad first thought the Earth was flat and later changed it. I'll need to check the Surah numbers of the egg-shaped Earth Iyah because I have a hunch they will be Medinan.

EDIT: Maybe somebody already knows the answer of which came first?

Nazi Nazi Nazi Nazi Nazi Nazi Lalala

http://youtu.be/1pwwvBygoFA
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
It turns out the carpet came before the egg. Quran 79:30 is sometimes translated as the Earth being in the shape of an egg (eh?) and it was "revealed" after all of the carpet Iyah. Though, there are some Iyah that compared the Earth to a bed so I'll need to do some more investigation.

The thing that struck me the most about those carpet verses is Quran 15:19. The part where is says "set thereon mountains firm and immovable". Mountains are most certainly not firm an immovable, especially those of the volcanic type - which could change drastically from one day to the next. Mountains grow precisely because they are not immovable. When tow tectonic plates push against each other they created mountains. The mountains will have started out the size of mole hills.

Fastest growing religion. *thumbs up*
"That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons even death may die." 
- Abdul Alhazred.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Origins of the Universe king krish 62 4636 March 23, 2022 at 6:55 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  [Quranic Reflection]: God is the light of the universe. WinterHold 35 5967 September 12, 2021 at 11:52 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  [Quranic Reflection]: The universe is expanding WinterHold 159 13818 August 13, 2020 at 10:50 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  [Quranic Reflection]: Hell and the ultimate fate of the universe WinterHold 18 1848 January 31, 2020 at 10:09 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Some facts you need to know about ISIS Mystic 24 4491 December 16, 2015 at 9:40 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Ten facts you never knew about Muhammad's religion (lol) ReptilianPeon 11 4161 May 27, 2015 at 11:08 am
Last Post: Prince
  Within you is enfolded the entire universe. Mystic 10 6817 April 15, 2014 at 8:33 am
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut