Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 7:08 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Life comes from life
Life comes from life
Something I'm thinking of lately as I have been embracing atheism.

From our human observations, we have only seen life come from life. This does not mean that life cannot come from life and surely scientists can make hypothesis' and experiment. But as far as we know from our current observations, is that life can only come from life. This doesn't mean we should jump to god as the answer. But until a scientist proves that life can come from non life, should we assume that life always comes from life?

I am sure there will be examples of experiments like the Stanley Miller experiment. But does the scientist using a controlled environment and intelligence seem to suggest that even that experiment used life to make life? I understand that would be a high burden of proof for proving that life could come from non life. So please let me know what your thoughts are on this topic
RE: Life comes from life
However the mechanism in detail, it is clear that life from nonlife will not happen frequently. But remember that the MU experiment -which was designed, but designed to mimic natural processes on young planets- ran for a small fraction of a human lifespan in one small box. The visible Universe ran it for hundreds of millions of years on 10000000000000000000000 entire planets.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(April 5, 2016 at 10:25 am)Won2blv Wrote: Something I'm thinking of lately as I have been embracing atheism.

From our human observations, we have only seen life come from life. This does not mean that life cannot come from life and surely scientists can make hypothesis' and experiment. But as far as we know from our current observations, is that life can only come from life. This doesn't mean we should jump to god as the answer. But until a scientist proves that life can come from non life, should we assume that life always comes from life?

You'll be waiting forever, science isn't in the proving business.  We should be careful with our assumptions, and with the inferences associated with them.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Beginning of life? Heck we are not even sure how to precisely define life. Human knowledge is too little to speculate anything, however since what we do know is pretty much in direct opposition to most widely known god concepts, that gives us one less idea to speculate on at least
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

Define life. In particular at what point is something defined as being alive? The only characteristic common to all forms of life is a metabolism. And then you have to ask what is the minimum requirement for something to be a metabolism.
I mean...we know there was a point in time beyond which no life existed on this planet, and now it does, so it stands to reason that there was a specific point where what we know as "life" started developing from non-living things somewhere. Biochemistry builds on organic chemistry, which builds on regular chemistry; life science follows the same natural laws everything else does. It seems to be a rare phenomenon, but it's not actually that hard (at least in theory) to conceive how life could have gradually developed from non-life given enough time, materials, and a lucky spot in space.
Verbatim from the mouth of Jesus (retranslated from a retranslation of a copy of a copy):

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you too will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. How can you see your brother's head up his ass when your own vision is darkened by your head being even further up your ass? How can you say to your brother, 'Get your head out of your ass,' when all the time your head is up your own ass? You hypocrite! First take your head out of your own ass, and then you will see clearly who has his head up his ass and who doesn't." Matthew 7:1-5 (also Luke 6: 41-42)

Also, I has a website: www.RedbeardThePink.com
Quote: should we assume that life always comes from life?

Does it matter?

You know once a month we get some theist showing up with some variant of the 'first-cause' argument.  "Everything has a cause," they bleat.  Except their fucking god who somehow exists above and beyond the rule they just stated.

http://www.physicsoftheuniverse.com/topi...early.html

Quote:Although the environment at that time (including the constant bombardment by asteroids and prodigious volcanic activity) would have been highly hazardous to life, the necessary ingredients were all present in some form or another: liquid water, chemical building blocks (usually taken to be the six elements: oxygen, hydrogen, carbon, nitrogen, sulphur and phosphorus) and some kind of energy source.
It is my primitive understanding that life and non-life are not binary, but instead there is a kind of gradual scale from one to the other. At what point you actually call something "life" is somewhat arbitrary, although there are probably useful scientific definitions.

So I suspect abiogenesis follows a similar pattern to evolution, with vast numbers of small changes leading eventually to a noticeable change. I do not expect non-life to suddenly spring into life, any more than I'd expect a dog to give birth to a cat.

If any of my description is off base, I'll happily be corrected by our science guys Smile
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(April 5, 2016 at 10:25 am)Won2blv Wrote: Something I'm thinking of lately as I have been embracing atheism.

I am sure there will be examples of experiments like the Stanley Miller experiment. But does the scientist using a controlled environment and intelligence seem to suggest that even that experiment used life to make life? I understand that would be a high burden of proof for proving that life could come from non life. So please let me know what your thoughts are on this topic

I had to take zinc supplements a while ago, I had an imbalance and that was causing skin problems, now zinc was from a living thing,  but zinc is a vital part of my system. My wife similarly needs iron tablets, this seems to imply that there is a lot of non-life needed to support us in our highly evolved state so you can imagine that first life needed only chemistry.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Doesn't it go like this -

Chemicals -> simple self replicating structures -> Darwin -> complicated self-replicating structures with bells and whistles deserving the name "Life "
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  what science comes easy to you if any? justin 46 9097 April 10, 2013 at 11:30 pm
Last Post: Polaris