Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 8:15 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
True randomness in QM
True randomness in QM
I've read a bit about determinism and indeterminism and browed a bit but I haven't found a clear answer to my question:
Does true randomness exist?
If so, how does it "work"?
RE: True randomness in QM
(April 7, 2016 at 2:56 pm)RozKek Wrote: I've read a bit about determinism and indeterminism and browed a bit but I haven't found a clear answer to my question:
Does true randomness exist?
If so, how does it "work"?

Well, in a way, it may only be proper to call it "true randomness" if there's no sufficient answer to the question "how does it 'work'".

Consider 100 molecules of some radioactive element.  We know the element's half life, and we know that 50 will decay over the half life, but we cannot predict which 50 will decay and which 50 will not.  My understanding is, essentially, there are two possibilities:

1) There's something underlying all of this, behind the veil of physics, or observation or something, that says which molecule is ready to decay and when
2) There's not, and there is literally nothing that could allow us to determine which one will decay when - essentially, it is a property of the universe that you can't know which molecule is going to decay until it has decayed.

If that 2nd is the case, it's "true randomness" in a strong sense.  Even if the first is the case, it's still "true randomness" in a weak sense, until we have empirically determined the underlying mechanism.

The consensus seems to be that #2 is indeed the case, iirc - please, some physicist (ALEXK WHERE ARE YOU) correct me if I'm wrong.
How will we know, when the morning comes, we are still human? - 2D

Don't worry, my friend.  If this be the end, then so shall it be.
I think it goes too far to say that the consensus is that #2 true randomness is at the bottom of Quantum uncertainty. There is a consensus to use something like the Copenhagen interpretation (or should I say prescription) for all practical calculations in order to not get bogged down with metaphysical questions. That means that virtually everyone, for pragmatic reasons, uses a prescription to calculate results which does not contain rhe additional information (so called hidden variables) which would uniquely determine the result of a measurement involving quantum uncertainty. I believe people don't necessarily choose to do that because they believe in their hearts that there must be true randomness at the bottom of QM, but rather because it makes no difference for the result of any calculation if we included a (usually more complicated) deterministic description with hidden variables : we don't know the values of these hidden variables anyways, and they are constructed precisely such that ignorance of the hidden variable reproduces the same statistical distribution as true quantum randomness. Someone who "believes" in a deterministic interpretation of qm will generally still use the copenhagen or similar prescriptions to calculate concrete results because it is simple.

The Everett "many worlds" interpretation is a special case because it is relatively simple, and it is deterministic, but it has no hidden variables and is not deterministic from the perspective of any single observer. There is no way to determine in principle what a randomly chosen observer in the mwi will measure, because everything happens to some observer, and it is your selection of observer which determines the result xe observes, not any variable.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

I had number 2 randomness just this morning. :-)
(April 7, 2016 at 5:08 pm)Little lunch Wrote: I had number 2 randomness just this morning. :-)

It is important to eat enough fibre bundles Smile
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

Well, I'm blaming Cadbury's and Pizza Hut.
(April 7, 2016 at 5:04 pm)Alex K Wrote: I think it goes too far to say that the consensus is that #2 true randomness is at the bottom of Quantum uncertainty. There is a consensus to use something like the Copenhagen interpretation (or should I say prescription) for virtually all practical calculations in order to not get bogged down with metaphysical questions. That means that virtually everyone uses a prescription to calculate results which does not contain rhe additional information (so called hidden variables) which would uniquely determine the result of a measurement involving quantum uncertainty. I believe people don't necessarily choose to do that because they believe in their hearts that there must be true randomness at the bottom of QM, but rather because it makes no difference for the result of any calculation if we included a deterministic description with hidden variables : we don't know the values these hidden variables anyways, and they are constructed precisely such that ignorance of the hidden variable reproduces the same statistical distribution as true quantum randomness. Someone who "believes" in a deterministic interpretation of qm will generally still use the copenhagen or similar prescriptions to calculate concrete results because it is simple.

Is there an uncertainty principle for Quantum physicists themselves which prevents them from all reaching the same conclusions? Perhaps we should be studying the scientists instead of tiny particles.
@TT

No, if you have different theories which are not experimentally distinguishable and all have philosophical strengths and weaknesses, you simply can't expect everyone to agree on one.

(April 7, 2016 at 5:38 pm)Alex K Wrote: @TT

No, if you have different theories which are not experimentally distinguishable and all have philosophical strengths and weaknesses, you simply can't expect  everyone to agree on one.

I understand, just a tease.
THAT's the kind of response I was hoping for when I invoked the name of our resident physicist Big Grin
How will we know, when the morning comes, we are still human? - 2D

Don't worry, my friend.  If this be the end, then so shall it be.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NASA Hubble Finds a True Blue Planet pocaracas 2 1995 July 13, 2013 at 7:04 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Uncertainty principle is...not certainly true? Welsh cake 3 1498 September 8, 2012 at 4:36 am
Last Post: Jackalope
Information Young-Earth-Creationism - can you prove it's not true? cookies4life 56 24225 November 5, 2010 at 11:29 am
Last Post: Tiberius