Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 6:27 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Has anyone discovered a successful way to make religious people atheist?
Has anyone discovered a successful way to make religious people atheist?
I've observed over time that religious people do not use logic to defend their arguments. They may use logical fallacies or gotchya questions to try to back up their positions, but they know that there's no logical basis for the arguments that they try to make. So, it's difficult to argue with these people, because they don't think scientifically. Science is self scrutinizing and changes what it believes based on the new findings of it's studies. If someone isn't willing to open their mind up to new possibilities and eventually realize the absurdity, that there's really no logical reason to believe god exists, how could they ever become an atheist?

On a purely hypothetical basis, regardless of why you would want to change someone's beliefs, I pose this question. Why someone would want to change someone's beliefs is a matter of personal opinion, not everyone in the atheist community may even think that people should have their beliefs taken away. I firmly believe that to advance as a society we should try to make people think more critically, for a better well being of humanity. I believe that atheist thinkers have some of the strongest minds, I've observed this by listening to them and following atheist talk shows, which strike me as more intellectual and in tune with the world around them. This is to me, why striving for a more atheist world would be beneficial.
RE: Has anyone discovered a successful way to make religious people atheist?
Xtians and muslims used to threaten people with death to get them to convert.

That would probably still work.
Their own brain. That's the only effective way.

And by the way, I don't care, since I don't care for missionaries. And the prospect of being one is something to barf over.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
You need a ball peen hammer and a live stoat. Should be obvious what to do with them.
I am John Cena's hip-hop album.
I don't think I have any negative feelings over trying to convert people to atheism. I find religiosity annoying, the thought of converting someone to atheism gives me joy.

It sort of makes me wonder how the first people to ever start religions like christianity or islam did it. Whether it was some charles manson esq figure, who actually had so much charisma that he was able to get people to follow him. Or if it was imposed by people who believed they could control others through threatening people with the punishment of god. Either way, someone was insane and manipulative enough to start cult religions like Christianity. I'm sure there's many people who just developed religion because it's the human mind's natural defense mechanism for explaining things they can't understand, to insert a supernatural meaning.
People generally just come to the realization themselves. Weird way to phrase the topic title though. I don't know why I'd want to make anyone think anything.
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]
(April 8, 2016 at 5:41 pm)Aegon Wrote: People generally just come to the realization themselves. Weird way to phrase the topic title though. I don't know why I'd want to make anyone think anything.
Idk why making people atheist has to be seen as a Machiavellian scheme, when it can be as simple as telling someone some scientific facts. I believe that being predisposed to science not only gives you a broader perspective of the world, but it will probably make people who really pay attention less religious. That's just my theory, because I've always loved science and payed attention it, I feel that it's help make me that way. That doesn't seem dubious at all, in fact it seems like a very good thing.
Encourage people to go read their holy book.

Properly read it. Not cherry pick the bits they've been told are the important parts.

The bible especially has been the number one book for creating atheists. Christianity survives because of people's general apathy towards reading it. They make huge assumptions about it, and actually reading it can sometimes shatter them.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(April 8, 2016 at 4:40 pm)Phosphorescent Panties Wrote: I've observed over time that religious people do not use logic to defend their arguments. They may use logical fallacies or gotchya questions to try to back up their positions, but they know that there's no logical basis for the arguments that they try to make. So, it's difficult to argue with these people, because they don't think scientifically. Science is self scrutinizing and changes what it believes based on the new findings of it's studies. If someone isn't willing to open their mind up to new possibilities and eventually realize the absurdity, that there's really no logical reason to believe god exists, how could they ever become an atheist?

On a purely hypothetical basis, regardless of why you would want to change someone's beliefs, I pose this question. Why someone would want to change someone's beliefs is a matter of personal opinion, not everyone in the atheist community may even think that people should have their beliefs taken away. I firmly believe that to advance as a society we should try to make people think more critically, for a better well being of humanity. I believe that atheist thinkers have some of the strongest minds, I've observed this by listening to them and following atheist talk shows, which strike me as more intellectual and in tune with the world around them. This is to me, why striving for a more atheist world would be beneficial.
If I have learned anything from these forums, taking religion out of the equation doesn't translate into rational thought--which is what democratic society requires. The solution is more science, and more importantly, more philosophy. What sparked the scientific revolution? The Renaissance. What brought about the Renaissance? The humanist movement. What was the humanist movement? A rediscovery of the classics: The Greek and the Roman writers, steeped in the culture made possible by thinkers like Homer, Plato, and Aristotle.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
Yeah. I see education as the best "weapon" against all form of irrationality. Good, quality, reality/evidence based education. It's a peaceful and painless way to chip away at all absurd and harmful notions, over many generations.

I'm not suggesting other approaches aren't sometimes needed, especially in extreme situations, but I think this should be the underlying strategy.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If you had to pick between people who pimp prostitutes vs religious people Woah0 22 1889 August 28, 2022 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Theocracy on the way Spongebob 94 5386 January 19, 2022 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  Atheists, do you think Florence Nightingale was a way better person than that fraud Kimbu42 6 962 October 11, 2021 at 9:43 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Local woman says only way she has survived during COVID is faith Tomatoshadow2 41 2662 December 21, 2020 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Atheists. Does life uh... find a way? Richimorto 6 959 July 29, 2020 at 12:44 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  A Funny Thing Happened on the way to the forum.... jessieban 39 3584 June 21, 2019 at 8:11 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Having religious friends when you're atheist Bahana 15 2582 March 10, 2019 at 1:37 am
Last Post: fredd bear
  Has anyone here deconverted because of AF? Jehanne 21 4045 July 20, 2018 at 4:30 pm
Last Post: Divinity
  Anyone here wear atheist/humanist jewelry? Foxaèr 24 3437 March 5, 2018 at 2:20 am
Last Post: rskovride
  I like to treat religious people nice. Jeezypete 27 4259 February 6, 2018 at 3:38 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire